First Impressions (v364)

Razsius

Raz:

Are you saying the only valid reason to back this is if you want a carbon copy of IWD with better gfx?

A "carbon copy" (BG series) of the second best "game" i've ever played in my life?

Yea?

If there was a kickstarter for a "spiritual successor" to Perfect Dark why the @#$% would I want a game that resembled a Call of Duty?

Edit: As a sidenote, anyone know where to get the soul vessel for the ruins in Stormwall Gorge?

Edited by Razsius
  • Like 6

All I did was attack someone with my Wizard and run backwards. 

It's similar to what I do with my BB Rogue carrying an arbalest (I think that's more damage than anything the wizard can do atm). I had a curious thing happen today. I attacked some spiders that way, killing the first one with a sneak attack. The rest of the spiders chased the BB Rogue, but to reach him they had to pass by the BB Fighter, so some of them got hooked to him because of Engagement. The others kept on chasing the BB Rogue, and caught up with him quite far from the rest of the party. They killed him, of course, but after that they just stood there and didn't join in the fight of their fellow spiders against my other characters. I guess it's because they were out of their line of sight and hearing. Either that or they decided to take a little break after the BB Rogue :lol:

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Raz:

Are you saying the only valid reason to back this is if you want a carbon copy of IWD with better gfx?

A "carbon copy" (BG series) of the second best "game" i've ever played in my life?

Yea?

If there was a kickstarter for a "spiritual successor" to Perfect Dark why the @#$% would I want a game that resembled a Call of Duty?

Edit: As a sidenote, anyone know where to get the soul vessel for the ruins in Stormwall Gorge?

So, after 2 years of hearing this wouldnt be a carbon copy you still expect that to change? Thats... interesting.

The Rogue having Carnage is a bug, which I reported, but no. If you didn't notice, I just killed a guy with disengagement attacks only. I didn't even move or command any of my characters except for my Wizard.

Edited by Sensuki

The Rogue having Carnage is a bug, which I reported, but no. If you didn't notice, I just killed a guy with disengagement attacks only. I didn't even move or command any of my characters except for my Wizard.

OIC, you made him chase your wizard while being engaged to other party members?

EDIT "engaged to" - lol :lol:

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

I am being realistic. Did you listen to the speech ? Or are you just going by the picture.

I've listened to it, what I meant was that unless these two points translate into a list of specific features, they are just a declaration. And translating them is something I'm pretty sure the developers have been avoiding at all costs, because they'd like some freedom of expression as well :)

eFoHp9V.png

ilv85dA.jpg

Still falling short (particularly with combat)

Disagree. This definately feels like an updated 90s crpg. They are meeting goals at this point and will be EXCEEDING them when this goes live. This game feels real good right now. If it keeps getting better, it will be great.

Well done, Obsidian.

• Like 3

Disagree. This definately feels like an updated 90s crpg.

icon_lol.gif

I've listened to it, what I meant was that unless these two points translate into a list of specific features, they are just a declaration. And translating them is something I'm pretty sure the developers have been avoiding at all costs, because they'd like some freedom of expression as well original.gif

That's hogwash man, Josh puts a large emphasis on "feels" in his talk - feel of the systems, feel of the art, etc etc - the Infinity Engine feels.

Edited by Sensuki

I don't have to explain that "feels" are subjective and that declaring commitment to "feels" is just enough to set off everybody's wishful thinking without putting down promises of specific features or how the game would work? I hope I don't, because I won't try to explain it ;) Josh is a humanitarian, I'm sure he chooses his words well during a public presentation.

I agree with you, combat hardly feels like the IE games. I guess I'll have to live with it though. They won't go back on things like engagement, I don't believe they will. The best I'm hoping for is sensible combat enemy AI (as for ally AI, they can leave everything on manual control). I'm undecided on whether engagement is bad or good for what it's worth. If the goal is to get combat as close to the IE games as possible, then yes, engagement it's not a step in that direction.

But I also doubt they would tell us that, not so directly. After all they are people who have spent lots of work on something and are looking for returns on their work. :) I can't be mad at them for that.

Me, I can live with engagement. After all I've been through with the Dragon Age games, I definitely can't be put off by something like engagement, engagement mechanics next to the combat mechanics' choices of many modern RPGs is like Relativity theory compared to Hesiod's cosmogony haha.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 2

eFoHp9V.png

Yup, "feels" about right to me. "Feels" does not necessitate x or y mechanic. "Feels" doesnt mean THAC0 or Vancian magic or romances. This beta is hitting the mark squarely. We should all be popping champagne and high fiving each other at this point. Dont be a Debby Downer! Enjoy it, man.

• Like 1

I don't know if you guys have noticed but NONE of the IE die hards are satisfied with the game. It's not just me, I am the loudest of us though. You can claim subjectivity all you like Gairnulf but the fact remains that many things are quite off the mark. 

• Like 2

Hey, ive played all the IE games and their xpacks multiple times. I have bought, lost and rebought these games many times. I played them stock and modded. I played them single and multiplayer. I played the EE versions as well. I know these games. I enjoyed these games. And, I still play them.

Pillars of Eternity feels good to me. Real good. It is both innovative and a very respectful homage as well.

• Like 4

I don't know if you guys have noticed but NONE of the IE die hards are satisfied with the game. It's not just me, I am the loudest of us though. You can claim subjectivity all you like Gairnulf but the fact remains that many things are quite off the mark. 

Alright, let's avoid subjectivity on our end as well and compile a list of features we want in and which would constitute our feels. I wonder how much we'll be able to all agree on. It would be a nice experiment. It would put us completely in the game designer's shoes, asking ourselves "What defines "IE feels"?"

I'm not defending anyone's position, or hiding myself or the devs behind a subjectivity excuse. Why would I hide or be their advocate, I actually think of myself as of a client. I'm just trying to explain the actions of the developers as best I can.

Let's make a thread with a link to a google document for example, ask that it be pinned, and use that document to create a list of features we want. If it's not too late to ask for most of them to be implemented.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

THISGONBGUD.gif

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png