New to the forums, important question

First of all and before anything else I would like to say "hi" to everyone in these forums. You do a great job!

I would like to keep this short and not bother you with a long post, so I will go straight to my question.

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with this setup:

Processor:  2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

HDD: SanDisk SDSSDHII240G Media

Do you think that this setup can support Pillars of Eternity? I am asking because I would like to pre-order the game, but I do not know if this is a good idea given the fact that I did not manage to find anywhere the System Requirements for the game.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

PC System

RequirementsMinimum:

Operating system: Windows XP or greater, Video Card: Model Shader 3 Compatible Video Card, 512 MB or better, Processor: 2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor, RAM: 4GB RAM, Hard Drive: 25 GB Hard Drive Space

Mac System

RequirementsMinimum:

Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) or greater, Video Card: Model Shader 3 Compatible Video Card, 512 MB or better, Processor: 2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor, RAM: 4GB RAM, Hard Drive: 25 GB Hard Drive Space

Linux System

RequirementsMinimum:

Linux Ubuntu 10.10 or greater, Video Card: Model Shader 3 Compatible Video Card, 512 MB or better, Processor: 2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor, RAM: 4GB RAM, Hard Drive: 25 GB Hard Drive Space

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

First of all and before anything else I would like to say "hi" to everyone in these forums. You do a great job!

I would like to keep this short and not bother you with a long post, so I will go straight to my question.

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro with this setup:

Processor:  2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:  8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

HDD: SanDisk SDSSDHII240G Media

Do you think that this setup can support Pillars of Eternity? I am asking because I would like to pre-order the game, but I do not know if this is a good idea given the fact that I did not manage to find anywhere the System Requirements for the game.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Welcome :)

Its a madhouse but we have great fun here

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

High five, nice of you to join us.

borat.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info. So, it seems that I won't be able to enjoy the game any time soon  :(

Yes you will be. It will work fine. Ghz is not a concrete measure fo capability. Neither is video memory. Pillars is a very low requirement game technically, those requirements are extremely approximate bureaucracy at best.

Edited by Sheikh

Thanks a lot for the info. So, it seems that I won't be able to enjoy the game any time soon  :(

I don't see why not. Your CPU and RAM meets more than the minimum system specs. Your GPU is a Shader 4 model, and the disk drive shouldn't be a problem.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Hm, can someone tell me if a intel core 2 duo @2.4 ghz would be sufficient on the cpu side of things? Been trying to compare it to the stated pentium 4 @2.6 ghz requirement, without much gain in overall clarity on my end.

You're good to go CPU wise.

• Like 1

Hm, can someone tell me if a intel core 2 duo @2.4 ghz would be sufficient on the cpu side of things? Been trying to compare it to the stated pentium 4 @2.6 ghz requirement, without much gain in overall clarity on my end. 

Thats what I am saying its at least 2-3x more powerful.

• Like 1

Yes. Also, the technology tier of the processor nowadays has a much bigger impact on performance than speed, and in some ways it's more important than the number of cores (not all applications make good use of multiple cores, it varies greatly). If you have a Core2Duo or later tech tier processor, YOU'RE GOOD TO GO FOR PILLARS OF ETERNITY, regardless of speed, number of processors, L2 cache memory etc.

Core2Duo, the second generation of dual-core processors was a vast upgrade over the previous Pentium D tier. I personally experienced that difference in Guild Wars 2 when I upgraded from a Pentium D 2.8 GHz processor to a Core2Duo 2.2 GHz during the beta. Same amount of cores, slower core freqency, higher tech tier = amazing improvement in performance.

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Thanks for the welcome, the replies and mostly for restoring hope in my guys :D

For some reason, I misread the system requirements and I thought that they were higher than my system's specs. A final question, the system requirements speak of a 512MB GPU and I have a 256MB one. Won't this be a problem, meaning not allow me to run the game?

Thanks for the welcome, the replies and mostly for restoring hope in my guys :D

For some reason, I misread the system requirements and I thought that they were higher than my system's specs. A final question, the system requirements speak of a 512MB GPU and I have a 256MB one. Won't this be a problem, meaning not allow me to run the game?

Like GHz on CPU's, or AMPS in speakers, the memory numbers on modern video cards are a little bit misleading. Your video card is a little dated, but it'll run the game.

• Like 1