Will spells in this game retain the same power and impact that they had in BG and BGII?

Minsc approves:  Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads - swords for everyone!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

As I play IWDEE it makes me sad each time I remember PoE will not have cool spellcasting like IE games :(

My Bard and Sorcerer don't own all fights but are dependable when it counts. And having two of your party being Held while a horde of undead are charging you makes your heart race. You know those two will not come back from being Held before end of fight unless you got spells to save them and you try your best to keep them alive (and it is useful to have a paladin that is immune to Hold to tank for them :D).

Edited by archangel979

Frequency does not equal spell power. For example a spell that does 5-10 damage at level 2 isn't going to be useful at level 12, no matter how many times I can cast it. Unless Im out of everything else I guess

Clearly you never used to combine Magic Missile, Alacrity and Time Stop in BG2.

Magic Missle is one of the most overpowered spells in IE games. Try the same thing with Melf's Acid Arrow or even Fireball and you'll see what I mean. Since OE is strictly against overpowered spells, I'd agree with Gifted1.

As I play IWDEE it makes me sad each time I remember PoE will not have cool spellcasting like IE games :(

My Bard and Sorcerer don't own all fights but are dependable when it counts. And having two of your party being Held while a horde of undead are charging you makes your heart race. You know those two will not come back from being Held before end of fight unless you got spells to save them and you try your best to keep them alive (and it is useful to have a paladin that is immune to Hold to tank for them :D).

I believe the way Hold works in IE games would be considered a hard counter, so I guess that scenario is out of the question :(

Nothing gold can stay.

MM was not OP but other spells were weaker. Direct damage spells were always considered subpar in D&D (both PnP and cRPGs) and CC spells ruled the day.

But it is unfair to directly compare MM to Acid Arrow or Fireball. MM function is to maximise damage vs one target in one round. Fireball works best vs multiple targets, if you are casting it on one guy, you are doing it wrong.

Acid Arrow purpose is to keep doing damage each round and frack up spellcasting. In PnP damage done by Acid Arrow interrupts spellcasting no matter if a spell is being cast at same moment damage ticks or not. They fracked up implementation of Acid Arrow in IE games, although it can still be useful when enemy spellcasters cast some of those spells with long casting time.

MM is also stopped by Shield spell which is a common low level spell used by enemy casters.

• Like 1

Magic Missile does scaled (more levels = more missiles) non-elemental magic damage, does not have a saving throw attached to it, has a very low casting time, high interruption value and higher level casters in IE games have a lot of level 1 slots (not to mention the existence of artifacts increasing their count), thus turning wizards into machine-gunners with AP bullets. Unless you are casting it on a fortified spellcaster (i.e. doing it wrong), the only thing able to stop it is magic resistance, which is rarely high enough in IE games. The spell may not be overpowered by itself, but it is quite overpowered in the context of BG2 for example. I know my comparison was not correct, but what I meant to do is compare its high level usefulness to that of any other damage-dealing spell of the lower level range.

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

The spell was useful in the role it had. That much I can agree upon. Later I used Flaming Arrow if I wanted to deal real damage, MM was just for when you don't have anything better. Melf's Meteors were also better at later levels.

And vs enemy spellcasters it was better to cast Breach and let you melee handle it or vs enemy groups cast Horror, Slow or Confusion.

Oh and I recently did much more damage with Agranazars Scorcher due to managing to line up enemies and dealing damage to 4-5 of them.

Edited by archangel979

Magic Missile was not an overpowered spell in the BG saga. It's an example of a well balanced spell actually.

Relatively, the spell does not do much damage. However, what damage it does is reliable and swift. It can be used effectively to interrupt or finish off an enemy. Several spells can be used in conjunction with it to make potent use out of it. Magic Missile can also be nullified and foiled in numerous ways. The number of damage rolls and attempts to overcome resistance can be as much of a curse as it is a blessing.

The optimal use of the spell varies as the caster levels up, but it always stays useful for something--whether you're level 3 and fighting Kobolds or level 18 and battling Dragons. That's the mark of a very balanced and well designed spell.

• Like 2