Looking for an online gaming group!

PoisonWar

Sounds good to me.

I would have preferred 22:00 CET, but, I think I can do 20:00 CET.

For my character, I was thinking about going with a nano who is obsessed with the past. So, would that be a Learned Nano that Explores Dark Places?

The extended character options book has tons of stuff involving memories as Nano esoteries. Like mindlink,  as well as erasing and retrieving memories.

When it comes to the type of character you're interested in i'd say sees beyond or separated mind from body.

Quick question: Jacks can pick up a Trick of the Trade called "Gather Rumors", which lets them spend Intellect to gather rumors when spending a few hours in a town. How is this meaningfully different from "I spend a few hours chatting with the locals, ask around for rumors" *roll roll* "okay, you hear a rumor", aside from not needing to roll (which, given the average rumor-gathering difficulties, is usually a non-issue for any reasonably competent character)?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

NUMENERA SESSION ONE

Cast:

-Chimron Dom Ainfiell
A Mloxian Jack who Rides the Lightning

-Elric
An Inquisitive Nano who Travels through Time

-Viktor Reannok Eve
A Mechanical Nano who Fuses Flesh and Steel

-Random Nano Bandit Leader (Davis)

-Mankey
An Exhausted Bandit who Died in a Fire

-Guardian Door's Brother

A Pissed off guardian door who fires lasers

The Story so far:

The morning seemed bright, it was another one of those days, we were running low on food, there's only so much we can steal or purchase from Cylion Basin,we needed money. Davis tracked a group of odd-looking travelers, they were bearing cyphers and, by the looks of it, riches beyond our imagination, we all waited for the signal and threw down the electrical net stalling two of the three travelers.

I was fighting a very androgynous looking feller who just kept slapping my attacks out of the way, I saw Mark get blinded by sand, but couldn't help him. Despite having the element of surprise we bit off more than we could chew.There was a man, that one who threw sand in Mark's eyes, he wore a metal mask.. Or at least I hope it's a mask, probably thinks he's some hot **** or something. he tried stabbing Mark with his staff, not only did he miss, but he then couldn't take his staff out of the ground! I'd be laughing if I wasn't in mortal danger. Suddenly a sphere landed in the middle of our defensive stance, I can still remember the smug expression the guy with the blaster had as erupted in a torrent of lightning bolts that fried my comrades alive.. The smell, nothing could have prepared me for that...

After they had the upper hand, they told me to surrender, after seeing the kind of tricks these guys can pull off I knew that I stood no chance. They spared me and Mark. That androgynous feller, Chimron, told me to go, but only after he took my shins, he told me find my life, atone for my misguided path in life. And gave me a new name, I'd have written it down but I was too terrified to even remember it.

They gave Mark a new name too, the guy with the metal mask, and the staff.. Called him Mankey, they were definitely not as kind to him as they were to me. He was to become their ill-fated packing mule, after they had looted the rest of my crew. Mankey carried around all of their equipment, but at least they kept him safe and fed.

Among the loot, they found Davis' map that allowed him to find our hideout at any time, he had a map! I now know how he did it!

Before heading out to the so called "Fort Awesome" they had decided to rest for the night Viktor woke up to see the landscape change as the desert hills shifted and twisted into new terrain. It was, as usual, a majestic sight, the dunes and cliffs lit by the moonlight like waves in the sea.

Being smart enough to check the map the group realized that the map had changed along with the terrain, the traveled a long way to Fort Awesome... Poor Mark.

Their path was then blocked by a Guardian door, a beautiful mechanical masterpiece of Numenera, and yet more alive than most people can claim to be.  That guy with the blaster, Elric, got really startled when the door first spoke, can't blame her really. The door knew everything about them, it does about us all, and it expected wisdom from them. That Chimron feller, yeah, not too bright, but he did give me a chance after all.

The door questions motivations and past decisions of the group. They each had their own, Chimron seeks to be the ever-powerful lord of mechanical dragonflies, Elric seeks to find his future in the past, which is why he's behind his real time, and Viktor seeks immortality with the objective of studying the ninth world for eternity.

The door let them through, only to surprise them with a different one on the other side. The door's brother, nowhere as wise, but twenty times more hateful. Chimron attempted to make use of his social skills to talk down the hateful door, but that backfired... literally. But not until later, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

They arrived at Fort Awesome and started studying everything. Elric scanned everything to make sure it was safe, and obviously there was nothing to fear. The Strong Glass booth contained some the controls for Fort Awesome that turned out to be a tent was a structure completely made of air sacks, that could increase in size or shrink at the flick of a switch! Mark, now Mankey, stood near the booth and waited as his masters explored the tent. Inside, Chimron... Again, not too bright pushed a button on the first Numenera piece he had, his partners probably wouldn't have noticed for another couple of hours as Elric skipped around the place like a child. Chimron vanished. Only to return an hour later. I saw him running and dodging away from the Guardian Door's evil side's lasers.

They fiddled around with cyphers we had stolen and decided to take the whole barrel with them, in hindsight Davis was an idiot. As the party left Fort (Bouncy Castle) Awesome they had to pass by the doors again. Chimron hiding behind Mankey all the way. The door fed on Negative emotions, when the party questioned the Door's brother it responded with a childish "My brother is a prick", and thanked the players for pushing it to say that as it slid open. Chimron still hiding behind Mankey who was overburdened with the barrel of cyphers and other equipment.

After hours of traveling there was a bright flash and an explosion, the party turned around to see Mankey's smoldering sandals in black patch of burnt sand. Rest in peace feller.

The smoke must have attracted someone as two massive figures approached in the distance.

----------- An Observer-----------

Edited by PoisonWar
  • Like 1

Quick question: Jacks can pick up a Trick of the Trade called "Gather Rumors", which lets them spend Intellect to gather rumors when spending a few hours in a town. How is this meaningfully different from "I spend a few hours chatting with the locals, ask around for rumors" *roll roll* "okay, you hear a rumor", aside from not needing to roll (which, given the average rumor-gathering difficulties, is usually a non-issue for any reasonably competent character)?

They way I see it is that it will give you a chance to simply gather rumors by eavesdropping, listening in on conversations or asking around. Without having to look for the right people, an inn and whatnot. Just as an accelerator.

In addition to that it can be a fun way for the GM to implement side-quests. things you normally wouldn't know because you simply weren't looking for them.

Edited by PoisonWar

So, now most of us have 4 xp again! (1 from last session, +1 for witnessing Mankey's demise, +1 for finding out about the pond, and +1 for the pheromones.) I spend it on Ride, because even after poor Mankey II meets its inevitable demise (which was assured right from the moment we named the poor thing Mankey), I'll still need a giant mechanized dragonfly steed crackling with electricity.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

First of all, sorry about the delay in this week's write-up. You know, exam week and all that crap.

SESSION 2

Sand shifted as the two figures approached the party,

They were riders, a boy and a sickly-looking girl dismounted their Scutimorphs as the addressed the group, it was a plea for help, the False Village of the false forest was in trouble as all creatures seemingly at random would attack killing and crippling its inhabitants. Someone had to put a stop to this.

They did, and we did. The party fought the creatures off bravely, despite being outnumbered, and saved the town without much of an issue.

The town leader was Radboud, who was the grandfather of the kids: Seria and Patel, whom they've met earlier. It had turned out that the town had been plagued by attacks for a good while now, but this intensity was unprecedented.
Radbaud rewarded the group with a scutimorph of their own, which they rode to the town of Cylion Basin.

It was on their road there that I realized the glory of light, forgiveness and redemption. Had i fully given in to despair I would have attacked and been struck down like our leader, who by the Messiah's will alone absorbed all of our weapons, they turned him into a pincushion of a man.

What stopped him from doing the same to me? or my friend? Forgiveness.

As the sky darkened, he flew up in the air catching a thunderbolt as two pairs of electrical wings sprung from his or her.. or it. As it IT threw lightning bolts left and right, pillars of glass would manifest where the ground was struck, it meant only to get out attention, to repent and accept our lives thus far. This understanding came to me in a flash,

The words echoed in my head:

My Name is Chimron  er... whatever..
Lord of:

Dragonflies
Thunder
All creatures insectile
Magnetism
And electricity

My followers should get all my domains right.

As these words rung in my head clouds cleared creating a straight path of light, towards the False Forest, all along the way the domains echoed within my skull, must remember the domains, i must get them right.

What showed us the way? The light.

And remember them we did. It told us to protect the False Village. Both my companion and I, Abhumans, yet despite this we were accepted as their guardians, and even started training recruits.

What have we attained? Redemption.

------ Excerpt from the Book of the Dragonfly, Chapter II, page 148 ------

Edited by PoisonWar
  • Like 2

I propose naming Elric's newly-acquired Two-Headed Science Bear Blaster of Grizzly Death +2 A Certain Scientific Beargun.

In other news, Tier increase rapidly approaches, so I think we should start thinking about what to pick up. Given how I'm the group's face/thief, I'm giving serious consideration to Experienced Adventurer, which lets me spend Effort after a noncombat roll to gain a minor effect; the other strong contender, given my propensity for mischief, would be Erase Memories. (I'll probably pick up both.)

For Victor, I'm thinking - seeing how healing is problematic due to his mechanical body, and the fact that I spend most combats hiding, while Elric's hopping around with Far Step, usually leaving him alone in the midst of the enemy - Ward would be most beneficial (a permanent +1 increase to Armor); alternatives include Eye for Detail, a useful ability for information-gathering, should Zoli desire to emphasize that aspect of his character, and Blackout, which both synergizes well with his ability to see anywhere and can provide an asset in our sneakier endeavours.

As for Elric, the second-tier Nano options are, almost without exception, all pretty nice. Cutting Light is not only a pretty strong ranged weapon, it also doubles as an all-purpose cutting tool. Fetch could help us steal Numenera from our opponents before it could be turned against us (it's also good for stealing mundane objects, but that would be unethical). Force Field increases the tankiness of friendlies (namely Victor) even further. Retrieve Memories lets you communicate with the dead, which is situational, but useful. Reveal lets you give darksight to the party, which synergizes well with Blackout, should Zoli decide to pick that. Shock to the System is a nice disabling ability, which would increase your combat effectiveness. From the corebook, Flash (in-setting equivalent of Fireball) and Mind Reading deserve special mention, but I can (and intend to) pick up the latter when it becomes available to me. Last, but not least is Stasis, which, if I'm interpreting it correctly, lets you yank out an opponent from the flow of time for a minute - a useful combat disable, an even more useful and versatile non-combat tool (letting us have a private discussion or search someone's place for clues while they're frozen in time), and an ability which fits eminently well with the thematics of your Focus.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

I don't see the appeal in "A Certain Scientific Beargun", is it a reference? If the name is too long we could shorten it to "Bear Blaster of Grizzly Death", or just "Bear Blaster".

By the way, I was thinking of naming the two bears. What do you think of Paddie and Bruce?

The abilities you suggested all sound awesome, I think Erase Memories suits Chimron well, and you could use it on Elric whenever he finds out too much. :devil: I like the sound of Stasis and Fetch, I'll probably pick one of those.

I don't see the appeal in "A Certain Scientific Beargun", is it a reference? If the name is too long we could shorten it to "Bear Blaster of Grizzly Death", or just "Bear Blaster".

By the way, I was thinking of naming the two bears. What do you think of Paddie and Bruce?

Yeah, it was a Toaru Kagaku no Rērugan reference.

Re: bear names, the one with the doctorate in entomology should obviously be called Powell, in memory of Philip Powell Calvert, father of studying dragonflies, while the kymatologist shall bear the name Hagen-Poiseuille, because I'm biased towards physiological applications of the field, and couldn't decide between the two gentlemen.

Edit: On a second thought, I guess you could go Poiseuille for Powell & Poiseuille alliteration points. "WITNESS THE POWER OF MY POWELL & POISEUILLE BRAND BEAR BLASTER" has a nice ring to it.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

Sounds like some exciting stuff is brewing here. I sense a team dynamic! Excellent, dear players!

Any word on Zoli? Is everything alright?

I may have a friend joining us in the following sessions, but this isn't final...

Also I seem to have ditched the write-ups... i should jump on that when I find the inspiration...

Sounds like some exciting stuff is brewing here. I sense a team dynamic! Excellent, dear players!

Any word on Zoli? Is everything alright?

Yupp, I've heard from him yesterday. His net died, and his service provider isn't in a hurry to fix it for some reason (hint: they're ****).

Re: bear names, the one with the doctorate in entomology should obviously be called Powell, in memory of Philip Powell Calvert, father of studying dragonflies, while the kymatologist shall bear the name Hagen-Poiseuille, because I'm biased towards physiological applications of the field, and couldn't decide between the two gentlemen.

Edit: On a second thought, I guess you could go Poiseuille for Powell & Poiseuille alliteration points. "WITNESS THE POWER OF MY POWELL & POISEUILLE BRAND BEAR BLASTER" has a nice ring to it.

I like the alliteration, and Powell is good. The other bear is not a kymatologist though, but an expert in teddy bears, so I'm thinking of Paddie or Pooh. Maybe, in honour of one of the original teddy bears: PB or Plush?

PB would make it even more alliterate.

Yupp, I've heard from him yesterday. His net died, and his service provider isn't in a hurry to fix it for some reason (hint: they're ****).

That sucks, I hope it works out for him.

Edited by Marky

I like the alliteration, and Powell is good. The other bear is not a kymatologist though, but an expert in teddy bears, so I'm thinking of Paddie or Pooh. Maybe, in honour of one of the original teddy bears: PB or Plush?

PB would make it even more alliterate.

Oooh, how about PP (short for Philip Powell) and PB?

Pooh is also good, regularly saying "poo" ingame pleases the immature parts of my mind.

Double P and Pooh... Really guys? xD

Theme songs:

Chimron

Well, i'm gonna guess that the obvious choice for someone who rides the lighting would be Metallica-Ride the lightning. Not a big fan of it though.
Saxon - Heavy Metal Thunder
Manowar's - Thunder in the sky.
Leatherwolf - Thunder.

Blaze Bayley - Silicon Messiah

Elric

Something either traumatic, or goal driven, may-hap both?
Caught Somewhere in time - Iron Maiden
Wasted Years - Iron Maiden
Heavy Load - Still There Is Time

Blaze Bayley - Time to Dare

Viktor

Blaze Bayley - Ghost in the Machine
Slayer - Metal Storm/Face the Slayer

Omega Lithium - Kinetic

Hard to find songs about Machines and stuff,

Edited by PoisonWar

Double P and Pooh... Really guys? xD

Theme songs:

Chimron

Well, i'm gonna guess that the obvious choice for someone who rides the lighting would be Metallica-Ride the lightning. Not a big fan of it though.

Saxon - Heavy Metal Thunder

Manowar's - Thunder in the sky.

Leatherwolf - Thunder.

Blaze Bayley - Silicon Messiah

Elric

Something either traumatic, or goal driven, may-hap both?

Caught Somewhere in time - Iron Maiden

Wasted Years - Iron Maiden

Heavy Load - Still There Is Time

Blaze Bayley - Time to Dare

Yeah, Ride the Lightning is both really obvious and really, really crap.

Other contenders:

KISS - God of Thunder: points for the title, also for this part:

I am the lord of the wastelands

A modern day Man of Steel

I gather darkness to please me*

And I command you to kneel

Before the

GOD OF THUNDER

*Reminder: if I choose this, I should pick up Blackout.

OTOH, the part about robbing virgin souls literally does not compute. Also, very retro, not in a good way.

The Prodigy - Thunder: one could make a case for electronic music fitting well with the guy(/gal/both/neither) manipulating electricity. Lyrics has zero thematic resonance, though.

AC/DC - Thunderstruck: 'Nuff said. Then again, if you don't speak Hungarian, it's probably significantly less entertaining.

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God: I like it, despite the lyrics being pretty much antithetical to the character's essence. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that the entire genre of "viking metal" has the same penchant for somewhat silly theatrics Chimron does, making it fitting on a meta level. Title's bad luck, but I guess I could frame it as "twilight-as-decrease-in-ambient-brightness brought on by the Thunder God" instead of its original meaning.

As for Elric, his theme song is obvious. If only we could somehow convince him to pick up Medicine...

I think Time by Pink Floyd is very fitting for Elric. The lyrics kinda fit with him not caring about the future.

By the way, how do I embed videos?

I need to spend more TIME listening to Pink Floyd,,,

ALSO, let's discuss the possibility of having two simultaneous campaigns! As you may or may not remember i've expressed interest in running a Blood Tide campaign alongside out Numenera one.The options are as follows:

1) Alternate, every week or just based on what you guys want to play.

2) Use a different date.

Also, i have to inform you guys in advance that I won't be able to run a game on the 29th of November (not this week, but the next) As I am attending a concert by a fellow Ukrainian rock band :). So we could find a different time/date for that particular session it would be nice. Cause i don't really want to miss sessions. This is a one-time thing only, and shouldn't be happening very often.

Edited by PoisonWar

Okay so what happened last session:

We generated characters for a back-up Mage:The Ascension campaign for when we have missing players and a major plot point coming up.

I'm thinking of making it kind of a kung-fu movie setting in modern day Shanghai, what do you guys think?

This weeks session was agreed to take place on November 30th at the usual time.

The rest lies in the hands of fate.

PS: As a side project i have been working on some custom Foci for good ol' Numenera... these may or may not have an impact on the events to unfold :)