Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Torment's movement system in PoE?

torment movement system possibility trade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Torment's movement system in PoE? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the Torment movement system in PoE

1. Yes. (30 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No. (18 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Merlkir

Merlkir

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Torment:ToN video showed off a movement/animation system using irregular speed and inertia. ("improved on PoE technology, or something like that)

Maybe not for combat, but for just moving around, I would really love to see that being traded back to PoE. PoE's animations are fine, they do the job, but they look robotic and especially compared to Torment's movement, they just hurts the eyes a bit. I understand in RtWP combat these would change the mechanics too much, but for out of combat movement, they'd be wonderful to have.

It's super late in development, I realize that. But, perhaps it could be applied as a patch after release.

Thoughts?

• Marky and 4ward like this

4ward

4ward

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

when i saw the video couple a days ago i instantly liked the movement of the two chars. They were moving around so smooth like floating. I would absolutely love it if they adapted this for PoE not just for moving around but also for combat and leave it as the only movement in the game (and for that matter threw away the current movement system entirely).

• Lysen likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It was cool, but i'd prefer PE characters to not slow down when moving. Torment's characters just had way better animations.
  • AndreaColombo, Malekith and Matt516 like this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The only problem I had with Torment was Nameless and company running into combat, if one wishes to stay alive, one does not run into a melee. It makes very nice brainless Hollywood action scenes, where the disciplined maniples of Rome resort to individual skimishing, but absolutely no sense. I always thought that there should be a seperate combat stance, with careful advances with implements/spells readied, shields raised and caution the order of the day.

The only exception I could think of to this would be the Barbarian, tribal warriors who rely on the charge to break their enemies line, such as the famous Highland clansmen whom broke the English/Lowlanders line at Prestonpans. The Wild Sprint ability?

Edit: Oh you mean Numenera, now I feel utterly dunderheaded, pardon me while I slap myself.

Edited by Nonek, 23 September 2014 - 05:12 AM.

• Hiro Protagonist likes this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

indeed the animations were much better, and I like the fact that they move with consistency. As much as I hate traffic and wished when you were at a light when the light turned green everyone would just go at the same time, the idea of everyone running and stopping at the same time like they do in PoE is just really awkward. At the very least, there should be some easing in and easing out when moving. Not that they necessarily need such a long delay. 

Zeckul

Zeckul

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts

It's nice to look at but I'm not sure how playable it is. Predictable movement speed is a lot more important in PoE due to RTwP combat, TToN can ignore subtle timing questions almost entirely.

Edited by Zeckul, 23 September 2014 - 09:51 AM.

• Sky_walker likes this

Merlkir

Merlkir

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hence my suggestion of changing the out-of-combat movement only.

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 822 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I found the movement to be the strangest part in an otherwise beautiful video. I'd rather have droid army than an ice skating troupe.

• Mr. Magniloquent likes this

exodiark

exodiark

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't know, won't it get really confusing that the movement is super responsive in battle but have inertia outside battle? Especially when you have many battles in one map.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'd rather have droid army than an ice skating troupe.

I'm quite the opposite. I mean, both are admittedly bad, but I'll take grace over clunk any day. An ice skating troupe may look silly, but at least it lets you mechanically get around easily, while droid-ish movement tends to come with some amount of robot-sequence responsiveness, etc.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5069 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The movement in the Torment demo looked pretty poor to me, as if the characters were sliding across an invisible surface. I really don't understand why anybody would like that--it's too disruptive of immersion.

Merlkir

Merlkir

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

*mah immershun*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, I'd like to.

This way, the games will look & feel more similar, despite having separate focus in a gameplay perspective.

*Plus I really liked movement in Torment !

Edited by constantine, 18 October 2014 - 09:47 PM.

Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Steam:Dark_Ansem
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I second this request. but I also second have some characters float :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: torment, movement, system, possibility, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users