Sensuki's Suggestions #006: I re-wrote the CC Class Ability Descriptions

Sensuki

<Entry>

<ID>500</ID>

<DefaultText>

Starting Abilities:

Carnage (Passive) - When barbarians hit with melee attacks, they target nearby enemies within a short distance of the target with reduced-damage cleave attacks."

The description of Carnage feels awkward. Any raging barbarian wouldn't really "target" enemies with cleave attacks. Rather, it's an effect of their ferocity and power when swinging like madmen and madwomen.

Here's my suggestion:

"When barbarians hit a target with a melee attack, they strike any nearby engaged enemies as well - cleave attacks that cause lesser damage."

Or:

"When barbarians hits with melee attacks, they have a chance to deal damage to up to 3 targets in successive order - each target hit cause lesser damage"

Would require a bit of a rework of the ability (I think that the ability should always deal max potential X% damage to the furthest left or right character of the cleave attack, and the least to the last it hits). A cleave attack is a horizontal slash, and it hits 1, 2, 3. Not 2, 1, 3, like in Neverwinter Nights 2 or in League of Legends (Ravenous Hydra).

In NWN2 and in LoL cleave attack is more resemblant to "Frenzy" attacks by the Paladin in Diablo 2 (beating, vertically, on several random enemies around the Paladin really fast). 

Edited by Osvir

By the way, the description text pane in the character creation could be made wider and longer, maybe 10-15% size increase. There's a lot of wasted space on the right side of the CC that could be used to get more text into the screen at once, rather than having to scroll down.

I love the background sure, but it's dead space.

Priest1.jpg

I don't think that cramming the 3D character model on either side with bigger windows will be visually appealing. What  space that you consider wasted has its role in keeping good proportions between different elements of the screen as a whole and giving it an airy feel.

Making functionality override aesthetics its another kind of pitfall. 

Maybe a bit larger windows but in no way as big as you traced them in red.

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Except that they don't have to be engaged. You're both right that the Barbarian Carnage isn't right as I've used the word target twice in quick succession, which is bad.

I don't think that cramming the 3D character model on either side with bigger windows will be visually appealing. What  space that you consider wasted has its role in keeping good proportions between different elements of the screen as a whole and giving it an airy feel.

Making functionality override aesthetics its another kind of pitfall.

My squares are too big, I admit. The panes could be a bit taller at any rate. It was literally like a one second mspaint square.

Edited by Sensuki

I think there should be more visual distinction in the word formatting of the class descriptions - and elsewhere too. The wording and texting becomes to flat, as there is nothing that attaches, guides, or draws the eyes toward each reading segment. So, for the abilities, for example, make the title - Starting Abilities: - more protruding and the labels - Holy Radiance - - more distinct from the description - "Generates a moderate amount of Stamina for..."

This way, reading becomes much easier, there is less strain and effort in looking up the description, and there is more organization to the information - which I think is quite important to have in a game that is basically made to be read. Also, having it this way makes the word formatting more consistent with the rest of the game - as it is now - because you have this kind of formatting in the Conversation UI
, if I recall correctly.

"

All rangers form a strong spiritual connection with a single creature, their animal companion. This connection allows rangers and their companions to coordinate attacks and efficiently take down prey. In most situations, the companion runs interference while the ranger attacks at range."

What exactly is "runs interference"? Is it the same as "intercepts"?

Its an American Football reference. Certain members of the offense are tasked with protecting the person with the ball from being tackled by interfering with the defenses ability to down the ball handler.

I think in this context, the animal companion engages the opponent in melee, interfering with the opponents ability to get to the ranger (similar to how the offensive line blocks the defensive line from tackling the quarterback after the snap in American Football).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man