Is there still no world cup thread? (the sequel)

Tale

Costa Rica's high defensive line is definitely working. Forced 9 Dutch offsides.

Dutch are also getting plenty of chances with their superior play. But then then again...MAGIC.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Navas down! This could be a massive catastrophe.

*Navas back up.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Eh, if the Costa Rica coach complains about the ref at the end of this match he'll have plenty of cause.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

As much as I like Costa Rica as the Underdogs, the Netherlands needs to put this away.

Klaaaaaaaaaannnnk!!!!!!

Goalpost 2 - Sneijder 0

Edited by Leferd

Don't understand the decision to change the keeper, just.... what the hell.

Please don't let van Persie take a penalty, this really has not been his match.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Because Jasper Cillessen has never stopped a penalty kick in his career.

Edited by Leferd

Krul paying immediate dividends!

Edited by Leferd

Oranje wins! Krul with two stops!

Bravo to Costa Rica!

Edited by Leferd

Hah. Serves them right for playing **** football. And by "****" I am not referring to their skill level, but the craven strategy to play with 5-6 defenders and 9 defending players.

It's not the first time this happens, typically these types of teams lose when their opponents score one goal and they are unable to even the score. Costa Rica did some interesting stuff in the extended playtime, but their overall strategy here is just utter **** football.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

That was boring

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hah. Serves them right for playing **** football. And by "****" I am not referring to their skill level, but the craven strategy to play with 5-6 defenders and 9 defending players.

It's not the first time this happens, typically these types of teams lose when their opponents score one goal and they are unable to even the score. Costa Rica did some interesting stuff in the extended playtime, but their overall strategy here is just utter **** football.

Completely and utterly disagree. It'd be nice if they could play attacking football, but they are just outclassed talent wise. Costa Rica has maybe three good players, one being the keeper.

They actually employed a very aggressive high defensive line trap, trying to congest the midfield, limiting the ability of their opponents to go out on runs. They bought in completely and put on a CLINIC on team defense. That was beautiful tactical football and defense pr0n.

Completely and utterly disagree. It'd be nice if they could play attacking football, but they are just outclassed talent wise. Costa Rica has maybe three good players, one being the keeper.

They actually employed a very aggressive high defensive line trap, trying to congest the midfield, limiting the ability of their opponents to go out on runs. They bought in completely and put on a CLINIC on team defense. That was beautiful tactical football and defense pr0n.

No. You use a lot of words for what was just plain and simple ordinary all-out defensive football. The objective behind that strategy is to force the game to penalties, where there is typically a higher probability for weird **** to happen. This is obviously only a feasible strategy in games which can be won on penalties (which is why you don't typically ever see this). So to exploit the fact that this is elimination rounds in that way is a very underhanded strategy in my mind.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"