As a tangent, I freakin' love the St. Waidwen incident. Fantasy religions fighting each other because reasons is such a cliché. Giving an actual, tangible and understandable reason for the animosity is a brilliant twist. Blowing up your god will do that.

Unless it's the god of explosions.

"*BOOOM!*... Ahhh, I see you've come and paid great homage to our Lord of Explosions! He thanks you for leveling this temple and strengthening his hold on the world, ^_^"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

It would be interesting to see how the discovery of practical applications of animancy can lead to societal changes/integration. We know that animancy can be used to create constructs, those constructs can be used to perfect jobs/duties that are dangerous/tedious for regular people like mining, construction, waste disposal, etc. Once a cost/benefit of various animancy applications have been established, people can be swayed through political maneuvering, propaganda, or just good old diplomacy an economy can be built around it. You could have animancers pay people for their souls, people can use their souls as collateral when borrowing money, the justice system could punish criminals by giving them to animancers, enemies captured during wars could have their souls forfeit.

There would also be more advanced/experimental research like the preservation of knowledge/skills through the soul. Highly skilled and educated people could volunteer for animancy experiments in the hopes that everything they've learned can be saved after their deaths.

Then there's all the illegal underground stuff like experiments in prolonging life and stealing other people's memories/skills/magical abilities, which leads to a black market for souls and corruption of legitimate/licensed institutions.

• Like 2

I  So they can cure alzheimers, for example, but every few times they get together they build an awful soul siphon like we see at the end of the gameplay demos Mr. Sawyer has run. 

maybe they're trying to get enough to rebuild their deity?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.