Fat Athletes With Wood - aka The Baseball 2014 Thread

Keyrock

Well at least the pressure is off my Gigantes this evening, if they lose they'll just join the other bay area team in misery.  If the A's had won and the Giants lost, I'd have to listen to gloating A's fans for a week.   :shrugz:

• Like 1

Anyways, this is going to be the end of this current iteration of the Athletics. It'll be back to the drawing board as the A's will be losing several key players to free agency (and big cash outs) and their farm system has been depleted.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Their collapse was beyond painful to watch. It hurt.

I stand by my statement though. Over that two and half year stretch, from 2012 to the end of July of this season, they were the quietly the best team in baseball. They won more games and had a greater run differential than any other team in MLB. They did it by fielding a flawed team of extreme platoon hitters, solid starting pitching, and undervalued middle reliever -all at bargain basement prices. Beane and Melvin have done a tremendous job.

I shut the game off when it was 7-3.  Wished I had gutted it out to the end.  What a total meltdown by the bullpens. 

Now I can only hope that the Angels get booted as well.  :)

It's going to be an interesting game in Pittsburgh.  Bumgarner is the better pitcher, but the Giants look pretty bad in the outfield.  In fact I think Bumgarner could bat 6th in this lineup.  

It's going to be stressful.  

"I stand by my statement though. Over that two and half year stretch, from 2012 to the end of July of this season, they were the quietly the best team in baseball. They won more games and had a greater run differential than any other team in MLB. They did it by fielding a flawed team of extreme platoon hitters, solid starting pitching, and undervalued middle reliever -all at bargain basement prices. Beane and Melvin have done a tremendous job."

That's ebcause you don't know baseball. Oakland is not the best team in baseball. Haven't eben since the Bash Brother days. They are an overrated team that is deisgned to beat up on weaker teams but when it comes tof acing top teams when it matters they will lose. They are not the best. They are overrated pieces of crap. The 'best' team  should never be described as 'flawed' or have excuses made for them.

\Besides, beating up on easy teams 10-1 when another team beats that bad team 5-3 doesn't make you better. That's silly talk.

Oakland is crap, and  good riddance to bad rubbish. Now, the actual worthy teams can compete,

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's going to be an interesting game in Pittsburgh.  Bumgarner is the better pitcher, but the Giants look pretty bad in the outfield.  In fact I think Bumgarner could bat 6th in this lineup.  

It's going to be stressful.  

Madison Bumgarner (18-10, 2.98) vs. Edinson Volquez (13-7, 3.04)

I'm rooting for the Pirates.  

Oakland doesn't attention on a national level, so I don't see how they can be considered overrated.  They are a small market team with a small payroll that is competitive more often than not.  I don't know why Volourn is hating on them so hard.

What is weird is that this year, they went out of their way to get that ace that Volo says is needed to compete in the playoffs.  Lester is supposed to be a top pitcher in the league.  And he didn't look very good.  They lost 9-8, not 1-0.  It's pretty bizarre.  But yeah, they lack superstars.  They make do with what they have, and they've won a lot of games.  If Oakland is crap, then it should be fairly amazing that they win so many games in the regular season. 

"They are an overrated team that is deisgned to beat up on weaker teams but when it comes tof acing top teams when it matters they will lose."

"\Besides, beating up on easy teams 10-1 when another team beats that bad team 5-3 doesn't make you better. That's silly talk"

Roflopter.

Nice try. You should actually learn to to know what you're talking about. Here's a listing of the teams that have winning records in the AL and the runs scored when playing heads up against Oakland.

OAK 37 - BAL 24

OAK 28 - NYY 21

OAK 19 - TOR 15

OAK 29 - DET 29

OAK 26 - KC 24

OAK 40 - CLE 15

OAK 79 - LAA 76

OAK 60 - SEA 58

Doesn't look to me that they get dominated by winning teams. Lols.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Speaking of aces, tonight is an example of how an ace pitcher plays a big game.

Wowzers.

Unfortunately they don't quite have as many aces as they did in '10 and '12, but the Giants might still make some noise this year.

"Doesn't look to me that they get dominated by winning teams. Lols."

What's their playoff record this year?

They don't really get dominated.  Instead they take every series to the last inning and then lose in heartbreaking fashion.

I think I'd prefer to get dominated if I was an A's fan, honestly.  :p

A's take a macro approach. Team is built on maximizing run differential over the course of a long season.

Live and die by the three run jack. They just suck when it comes to one run strategies.

Speaking of aces, tonight is an example of how an ace pitcher plays a big game.

Wowzers.

Unfortunately they don't quite have as many aces as they did in '10 and '12, but the Giants might still make some noise this year.

Wow indeed.  Bumgarner was dealing.  Sorry for the Pirates but not much you can do against a pitching performance like that. 

I imagine the Nationals are a bit freaked out.  The Giants have quite a few guys that don't even know what a playoff series loss looks like.  

Wow, Jake Peavy got it done.  

I don't know how anyone can really bet against the Giants at this point.  They get it done when it counts.

Am I the only one watching the postseason or something?

The Giants have won 10 postseason games in a row.  How were they not the favorites coming into this thing?  It was great to see Hudson return to form just in time, I didn't expect that, and Petit got the full game in and win he deserved.  Just to really stick it in the craw, they put a guy who has pitched in nine MLB games out there to close it out.

The Giants can pitch.

Just to entertain myself I guess, I read this before last night's 2-1 win:

During this nine-game postseason winning streak, Giants starters have gone 8-0 with a 0.75 ERA and a .182 batting average against. The pitching staff as a whole has a 0.99 ERA during that span.

I imagine that looks even more impressive now.

The possibility of the Royals in the World Series puts a smile on my face...  As much of a smile as a guy who's team went 71-91 could have, anyway.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This just wasn't meant to be for MadBum today.

Excuse me while I fall inline and worship the ghost of Whitey Herzog.

Well you can't expect to win every game when you don't score in the first 8 innings.  It's a shame, he was still shutting the Nats down despite not having his best stuff, and then he just tried to do too much on that bunt.  I think if the Giants have a run on the board, he doesn't force that throw.

It will be interesting to see how Vogelsong pitches.