Obsidian and the future. What can we expect?

Labadal

What it needs is the time / money / good luck to produce at least one AAA RPG which is their own IP or at least their own series within an existing IP, which sells and is received well enough to immediately warrant a sequel. (Ideally, it would have been AP.) The only problem is that if Obsidian are prepared to devote so much of their manpower to Skyforge and the tank thing, it signals that Feargus feels he is not anywhere near landing such a contract yet. 

I agree. It would be good to see Obsidian produce one AAA RPG which is their own IP. Other companies have managed to do it. I'd like Obsidian to do the same.

Basically, this.  They "did the job they were hired to do" on a bunch of sequels, none of which were big or stellar enough to make a name for Obsidian independent of the brand they were working on.  Alpha Protocol was their first (and, really, only) big independent title that was entirely theirs....and it totally tanked.  Predictably, the sales were bad, but more shocking was that the critical reception - what they really needed to make a name for themselves - was also terrible.  Without diagnosing AP all over again, this was probably a combination of terrible luck and AP simply not being the game it needed to be.

So despite it being a small project, a lot may actually be riding on Pillars of Eternity.  If it can succeed at being more than just "oh it's like Baldur's Gate" to the casual consumer then hopefully the impact it makes will be big enough to get publishers interested in them again.  Otherwise they might just continue to alternate between (relatively) small passion-project kickstarters and larger pay-the-bills work-for-hire like tanks.

I suspect a huge part of the problem with AP's reception was simply that it was delayed to come out after Mass Effect 2. If it had come out before like originally planned, the gaming press and public probably still would have been receptive to something that looked like a 3rd person shooter but still played like an stat-based rpg. Nobody really whined about Mass Effect 1 having those huge reticles.

But yeah, fingers crossed for PoE. I really hope that this business with the tanks is just to pay the bills in the short term.

Edited by Baeus

And it's the best of the Mass Effect games!

AP still is better... and I think *most* people who actually play it agree. It seems just people who read about it hate it, and 95% who actually plays it ends up loving it.

The power of insanely bad gamepress :(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And it's the best of the Mass Effect games!

AP still is better... and I think *most* people who actually play it agree. It seems just people who read about it hate it, and 95% who actually plays it ends up loving it.

The power of insanely bad gamepress :(

Gameplay wise (Aside from conversations)?

Nope. People love it for the Choices and Consequences. Not for the gameplay outside of it.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Nobody really whined about Mass Effect 1 having those huge reticles.

Except everyone.

I don't know, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention back then, but I never got the sense that ME1 was getting critically mauled for its use of stat based shooting.'

Annnnyway, I'm curious to see what the next kickstarter will be. Hopefully 'We Can't Call it Arcanum 2 *wink* *wink*'

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody really whined about Mass Effect 1 having those huge reticles.

Except everyone.

I don't know, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention back then, but I never got the sense that ME1 was getting critically mauled for its use of stat based shooting.'

Annnnyway, I'm curious to see what the next kickstarter will be. Hopefully 'We Can't Call it Arcanum 2 *wink* *wink*'

The only ones that didn't critically pan ME1 for its combat when it released were the diehards.

The only ones that didn't critically pan ME1 for its combat when it released were the diehards.

And everyone praised ME2 for it's and I found it horrible, and the game in general the worst of all 3 ME's.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee