Russia II, this time it's something something

Walsingham

I actually feel selfish trampling this argument. Anyone else want the pleasure?

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

1) Blaming the immigrants for turning up when it is the construction firms are benefiting from them is ludicrous.

2) As we've already discussed at great length, it is right and proper to criticise Russia for violation of a human right. The homophobic laws persecute people for something they are. Consensual gay sex hurts precisely nobody. Likening it to eating pork is mendacious at best.

1) It is their fault - they violate the law by illegally crossing the border. Anything else is secondary. You are not blaming a shop owner for slippery floors because thief broke his neck in attempted burglary at night.

2) When in Rome, do as Romans do. Eating or not eating pork hurts precisely nobody yet considered as offensive by the majority of population in certain locations. Should some country practice necrophilia and will root for fellow necrophiles I doubt they would enjoy the same support gay community have.

Oh Cultist darling    :wub:

You being such a naughty boy.

I'll tell you something interesting. During Apartheid the government believed, like you do, that homosexuality was a choice that could be "cured". Anyway they had these clandestine clinics where gay conscripted soldiers were sent for reprogramming. The treatment involved electro therapy...seriously basically torture to get people to change there sexual orientation. Do you think that would work on you and your sexual orientation. And even if they did manage to somehow rewire you do you think this is what a civilised and reasonable society does?

The words you need to remember are empathy and tolerance, practice them and try to follow the :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh, I wish all the outaeg!!!eds of the world would apply their outraeg!!! a bit more evenly. All those brave and principled New Yorkers pouring their Latvian vodka down the drain must have got a buzz going home in their Saudi powered transport given that Saudi has utterly dreadful treatment of migrant workers (expelled 2 million+), will execute gays, has less tolerance than about anywhere and treats women as chattel. What's that you say, there's barely a peep about it? Obama, Hollande and the rest of the hypocrite brigade are the House of Saud's best buddies you say? Inconceivable, I simply cannot credit it!

Russian disinterest in accepting American help with preventing any terrorist attacks. I know this is a point around pride but they should have no issue with accepting unconditional help that may prevent loss of life

It's ironic, because when the Russians offered help to the US which would definitely have prevented a terrorist attack they leaped to accept. Oh wait, they didn't, did they. Shame about the people who died and were injured, still at least people didn't try to blame the Russians afterwards... oh wait, that they did do, didn't they.

Strawman argument Zor ( I hope I used it in the right context)

We aren't talking about Saudi Arabia,  but we can start a discussion about this and if they ever hosted an international sports event what would be consequences. But Qatar is hosting a FIFA world cup in the next decade or so, so several discussions need to be had about points like where can fans drink and gay rights of fans who visit the country. International sports events and conservative governments  do create a dichotomous situation so thanks for putting this one on the radar :)

Finally the USA doesn't really need Russia's help in fighting internal terrorist attacks, that's why they refused Russian aid which I question if it was sincere anyway

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Meh, I wish all the outaeg!!!eds of the world would apply their outraeg!!! a bit more evenly.

Oh, man. Deep down, you really are a romantic! I knew it!  :grin:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Finally the USA doesn't really need Russia's help in fighting internal terrorist attacks, that's why they refused Russian aid which I question if it was sincere anyway

Does Russia really need the US' help ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thread Pruned & Closed.

Please not that though Obsidian respects people have differences of opinions, this community is grounded in the gift that is diversity. When opinions lead to judgement or diminishment of anyone's person that would be the line in the sand. To be explicit, homophobia - as just one of those lines - no matter how dressed is unacceptable. For the moment, we will close this thread and clean up the sand ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: