OHMYGOD a game that doesn't match every detail of its game world with reality? Unthinkable.

Let's start at the beginning by listing all the inconsistencies with reality in Dungeons & Dragons. Every single minute detail. We'll move on once we're finished with D&D. Obviously misspellings, grammatical errors and incorrect punctuation count, as they are inconsistent with the real-world rules of English (and other languages.)

I'll start with a minor issue: Dragons aren't real and never were. How could that Gygax hack make such a rookie mistake?

Edited by AGX-17

I'll start with a minor issue: Dragons aren't real and never were. How could that Gygax hack make such a rookie mistake?

You're missing the point; it's more like calling something "red" but it's green with some purple tint on one side :)

Didn't thought that my humble remark would become such a fuss.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

You're missing the point; it's more like calling something "red" but it's green with some purple tint on one side :)

Didn't thought that my humble remark would become such a fuss.

People do that all the time in the real world though Messier.  They just happen to be color blind.

People do that all the time in the real world though Messier.  They just happen to be color blind.

That is a vision deficiency, call it illness if you will. I assumed that we are talking about healthy people. Calling a tree "truck" then. There, fixed that for you - unless you're gonna call a person like that from-some-other-stuff-ailing.

Anyway, if there are no more stuff you peeps find erratic, then that's good news.

You're thinking of "arboreal."

Arboreal dwarves. Boreal dwarves who are also pirates. 8)

b'Oréal... Because you're worth it. 8)

I know what you're thinking: "Is this guy bor REAL?!"

Okay, seriously, I'll stop now.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 3 years later...

Necromancyyyy!

I just found something so horribly odd and inconsistent about PoE that most of you will get your immersions broken big time!

pocket_watch_L.tex.png

How Obtained:
  • Ondra's Gift (Vailian Trading Company) - Carried by Verzano

"This fancy pocket watch once belonged to Verzano."

THAT WATCH HAS 12 (thus 24) HOURS LIKE IN OUR WORLD!

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Anni_Iroccio

"Iroccio calculated that it takes the planet approximately 334 days (of 27 hours) to orbit the sun (...)"

Check-mate, Obsidian!

Edited by Messier-31

Omigod I remember this thread?  Where the hell has my life gone these past few years??

Necromancyyyy!

I just found something so horribly odd and inconsistent about PoE that most of you will get your immersions broken big time!

pocket_watch_L.tex.png

How Obtained:
  • Ondra's Gift (Vailian Trading Company) - Carried by Verzano

"This fancy pocket watch once belonged to Verzano."

THAT WATCH HAS 12 (thus 24) HOURS LIKE IN OUR WORLD!

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Anni_Iroccio

"Iroccio calculated that it takes the planet approximately 334 days (of 27 hours) to orbit the sun (...)"

Check-mate, Obsidian!

You have destroyed this game for me you complete and utter bastard!  How could you, now I will never again be able to look at the lore without seeing this huge gaping hole there!  ;(

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• 3 months later...

You guys know Stan Lee just called the stuff that made Bruce Banner the Hulk Gamma Rays cause it sounded cool right?  Don't be so anal.  This is a fantasy universe made by Obsidian they can call the dwarves whatever they want it is fine, our real world definitions don't apply.

Sorry for necroing, mate :) but Josh said this for PoE2 (Source: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162752615191/hey-josh-i-had-a-question-about-the-climate-of)

As I mapped out the archipelago, I made a color-coded layout with proposed climate zones and sent it to a climatologist friend.  He gave me some feedback and I revised the map.

So this really shows that they do put a lot of attention to detail. Hence this topic.

And now for another inconsistency: AEDYR

Aedyr derives its name from "many dear". It also lies on the equator, lots of jungles, the place it quite warm and damp, so this is even resembled in the clothes Aedyrans ware.

Aedyrhumans.jpg?version=d185f0900e8f6740

BUT WHY are there so many deer on the equator? Shouldn't such a creature prefer more temperate regions?

AND WHY people living on the equator are caucasian? Shouldn't such a region have black inhabitants (like Vailians)?

I recall it being said the Aedyrans started off in more temperate regions and moved to the equator.  There seems to be quite a lot of migrations in Eora, many ethnic groups seem to have moved to and settled in regions not stereotypically expected of them.  I did wonder about the whole deer thing and them being on the equator myself tbh though, especially when I read the Aloth short story and it refers to the jungles around Aedyr.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

I recall it being said the Aedyrans started off in more temperate regions and moved to the equator.  There seems to be quite a lot of migrations in Eora, many ethnic groups seem to have moved to and settled in regions not stereotypically expected of them.  I did wonder about the whole deer thing and them being on the equator myself tbh though, especially when I read the Aloth short story and it refers to the jungles around Aedyr.

Agreed, the Aedyrans didn't originate from the Equator as far as I know. Whereas, if you look at the Ocean folk, who are said to have originated at the Equator, they primarily have darker skin. Same with the inhabitants of the Valian Republics/Old Valia. Their populations are supposed to be full of Ocean folk, and a lot of characters from those places (Pallegina, for instance), have darker skin.

Edited by ColeTrain9192
  • Like 1

Agreed, the Aedyrans didn't originate from the Equator as far as I know. Whereas, if you look at the Ocean folk, who are said to have originated at the Equator, they primarily have darker skin. Same with the inhabitants of the Valian Republics/Old Valia. Their populations are supposed to be full of Ocean folk, and a lot of characters from those places (Pallegina, for instance), have darker skin.

So you're saying that all is good, 'cause Vailians are from equator and migrated south, and Aedyrans are from other regions and migrated to equator.

Even if that is the case, there is no logic behind that:

• Why would Vailians change their comfy equator zone for a colder one?
  • Why would Aedyrans change their comfy temperate zone for a tropical one?

Convenient switch is convenient  :geek:

• Like 1

So you're saying that all is good, 'cause Vailians are from equator and migrated south, and Aedyrans are from other regions and migrated to equator.

I agree it seems... odd.  My issue with it is that it seems to assume the ones migrating didn't just get assimilated by the original inhabitants instead and that the majority didn't just stay in their original homeland like usual.  Humans tend to want to expand their influence, they are happy to gain control over a new area but they don't like to give up on their old areas while doing so, they want both.

I tend to assume that Aedyr continent is large enough that it reaches in the temperate zones which is where the empire actually started and it expanded southwards (or northwards depending on hemisphere) to the equator which was uninhabited at the time.  Old Vailia still exists and expanded with the Vailian Republics as does any empire (Europeans settled the Caribbean and Americas despite the hotter temperatures after all, Humans will go anywhere in order to expand).  I am assuming Old Vailia is in a more tropical environment though, I could be wrong.

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

I think we're also just missing some detail. Because I think there are several ways this kind of move could be justified but Obsidian didn't really give us much information on those other countries (as far as why group A migrated to place C, etc.), presumably because they decided it doesn't matter. I remember seeing one of the Deadfire Q&As in which Josh Sawyer received a question about how much they decide about the history, cultures, etc. of other places around Eora that don't appear in the game. His response was that they come up with what they need to for the game, but leave the rest undecided as it takes a lot of time and effort to make up history for something that doesn't affect the player directly.

To your point, that definitely leaves room for "possible inconsistencies." At the same time, it also leaves room for interpretation. For instance, Ocean Folk are just described as being the most prevalent folk sub-race in the Valian Republics, but they are still the most widespread group along the Equatorial region they originated from. So sure, this:

I agree it seems... odd.  My issue with it is that it seems to assume the ones migrating didn't just get assimilated by the original inhabitants instead and that the majority didn't just stay in their original homeland like usual.  Humans tend to want to expand their influence, they are happy to gain control over a new area but they don't like to give up on their old areas while doing so, they want both.

is an absolutely valid point. However, we don't know for sure that the majority of Ocean folk did migrate. It's possible that a small subset of Ocean folk migrated many years ago and took over what was, at the time a relatively uncontested area, making Old Valia. We just don't know.

Let's say that Old Valia, and subsequently the Vailian Republics were essentially founded by Ocean folk. I can think of several reasons why they would leave their "comfy equator zone for a colder one," but many of my ideas rely on information about the land Old Valia is built upon; information we aren't given. What are the resources like? Was there an indigenous group there before the Ocean folk migrated? Were there factors along the equator (war, famine, etc.) that pushed the Ocean folk out, forcing them to migrate? There's no way to know without more detail.

So there's absolutely the chance that there are some inconsistencies here, but I can't commit to saying there definitely are until we know more about the rest of Eora (if and when).