Stronghold "random event" alert methods

What if... the stronghold itself has a soul... o_o

No no, I jest. :)

(Actually... that could -- key word "could" -- be interesting...)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Personally I don't think the idea of teleportation suits this game at all but I wouldn't spit out the proverbial dummy if they included it, my preference would definitely be the option to take control of your guards/spare companions, It could also give the npc's you don't use some kind of purpose, as opposed to just taking up space on your ship/camp/etc..

I wouldn't mind if teleportation was possible... At a very small amount of places in the world. (places of power, activated circle stones, etc)

Places of power might have one, like to the start of the old paths, the end of the old paths (still needs to be activated) at the stronghold, and near some glanfanthan ruins. So that there are a few teleportation hubs in the world. Not many, but enough to speed you up if you're in a hurry.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

On the Eternity website, in the Artwork on the Media page, there's a picture that just screams "magic portal," labeled Od Nua.  If (but only if!) they handle it well that type of teleportation seems to fit.

If they handled it IE-style, where they time the message and thus the start of the event to be after you exit a dungeon, it wouldn't bother me.  I didn't like it at first in BG2 but I think I'm inured to it and part of the IE "feel" is its odd treatment of time.  There are ways they could improve it imo, but I wonder how many of the ways it could change would have broad support/not be divisive?

• Like 2

Just have a Pony Express type of Post Office thing in major towns and some villages.  You can just check the mail when you arrive in town, how often you do this is up to yourself and reflects just how good a lord you are for your people.  For major attacks you could just get hints in advance of bandit attacks increasing and give orders to hire some extra guards or whatever.  

There isn't going to be much fun for any player in an overwhelming attack you had no way to plan for.  It is up to you to hire / train guards or build enough defences to keep your stronghold safe while you are away.

• Like 3

i think it would be nice if at the beginning of each chapter something happens at your stronghold to kick off the chapter.  the end of each chapter could be you doing something at your stronghold (preparing for something, or even just reaching your stronghold).  that way you don't have silly stuff happening while you are out that needs a message to reach you (via butt nut, telepathy, highly skilled yet complacent messenger, palantir, etc.).  it would make extra chapters via DLC, sequels, and mods far more seamless as well.  that isn't to say random stuff shouldn't happen in the middle of the chapter, but i think it should only be rather minor stuff that really doesn't need your attention.

Edited by jamoecw
  • Like 1

On the Eternity website, in the Artwork on the Media page, there's a picture that just screams "magic portal," labeled Od Nua.  If (but only if!) they handle it well that type of teleportation seems to fit.

If they handled it IE-style, where they time the message and thus the start of the event to be after you exit a dungeon, it wouldn't bother me.  I didn't like it at first in BG2 but I think I'm inured to it and part of the IE "feel" is its odd treatment of time.  There are ways they could improve it imo, but I wonder how many of the ways it could change would have broad support/not be divisive?

I can't help but wonder where you go if you crawl through one of the smaller portal holes in that thing...

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder where you go if you crawl through one of the smaller portal holes in that thing...

Being John Malkovich

one to wonderland, one to a perpetual action movie, one to a locker in a female orcish locker room, and the last to a glory hole in a giant's male bathroom.  you confiscate it from a mad wizard in the first chapter, the big one leads to your new stronghold (the portal the wizard felt was useless).

Maybe you can instate a steward and give him some directions. "Don't bother me with small stuff" "Yes you're allowed to hire mercenaries if you expect an attack" "Show all merchants the door" "Send a messenger when xxx occurs" etc.

So you can determine how much you want to micro manage. Different stewards have different strengths.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.