This is just a question I was wondering form time to time. I wanted to know what made you guys go from traditional Goblins and Troll's to giving each monster a face lift or to make them your own type. Ex. The lich spider now I'm not to sure if D&D owns the rights to that specific monster, but what about the traditional goblin big nose little and green the thing you would see in Ice wind dale, and what was the leading factor in this decision just copy right claims?

any way thanks and Hope to Adventure soon and plunder the lands for Relics of great POWWWAA!

• Like 1

or they posted the image because it was a troll update

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Most of the stereotypes being referred to are entirely the result of modern media, so it's not a "tradition": the folklore just describes them as ugly and humanoid. Obviously nobody knows what a troll really looks like, so they can make it whatever they want.

• Like 6

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I assume it's to help give the universe of Eternity its own fresh flavour and identity, distinct from the infinity engine games that inspired it. Plus artistic creativity, as in they think the new trolls and such look cool! The devs have talked about trying to find a balance between creating a sense of the familiar and the new, the usual suspects and the bizarre. If I recall correctly there is also a copyright issue with certain monsters like the beholder which belongs to the D&D license, so they can't use those or something (not sure, maybe someone could verify this)??? So it makes sense to create their own bestiary with a touch of the familiar but with new and exciting monsters and monster redesigns.

It would be interesting to hear a bit more from the devs in an update about the process they went through in monster design, and how their monsters reflect the overall style, aesthetics and themes of the world they are creating. I think they may have already done this to some extent, I can't remember :-P I'm getting wary of too many spoilers at this point but hearing some more about the artistic process stuff would be nice.

Edited by Robsidious
  • Like 6

I assume it's to help give the universe of Eternity its own fresh flavour and identity, distinct from the infinity engine games that inspired it. Plus artistic creativity, as in they think the new trolls and such look cool! The devs have talked about trying to find a balance between creating a sense of the familiar and the new, the usual suspects and the bizarre. If I recall correctly there is also a copyright issue with certain monsters like the beholder which belongs to the D&D license, so they can't use those or something (not sure, maybe someone could verify this)??? So it makes sense to create their own bestiary with a touch of the familiar but with new and exciting monsters and monster redesigns.

It would be interesting to hear a bit more from the devs in an update about the process they went through in monster design, and how their monsters reflect the overall style, aesthetics and themes of the world they are creating. I think they may have already done this to some extent, I can't remember :-P I'm getting wary of too many spoilers at this point but hearing some more about the artistic process stuff would be nice.

Good post young grasshopper, good post :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

you just gave me an idea about making a copyright claim and geting filthy rich. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Creatures that were once fantastical and mysterious in folklore and fiction have been rendered banal and mundane through over-use and repeated regurgitation.

I applaud any author, game developer or artist who wants to create something new or reinvent a trope.

Edited by nikolokolus
  • Like 4

awesome feed back ! one of the things I like about knowing your enemy is making me the (player) feel like im almost apart of the game peerrr say like being a knowledgeable person of the land and knowing when to fight battles or when to hide and run. ex. ahh yes I've encountered ye beast of the same kind a while back in my travels i  better stay clear. On the other hand tho its good to NOT know what I'm up against in this game so it gives me the sense of wonder and exploration and curiosity, because sometimes it can be mundane to run into a mindflayer in say another game and you already know that their strong mentally and can usually sometimes charm or one shot your chars if they roll right. So its good to get some different point of views from the community and I would love to see some of the design process's and thinking behind some of the creature of the land!

Edited by TreverJohansen
  • Like 1

Most of the stereotypes being referred to are entirely the result of modern media, so it's not a "tradition": the folklore just describes them as ugly and humanoid. Obviously nobody knows what a troll really looks like, so they can make it whatever they want.

The general description for a troll or goblin comes from old folktales, afaik most of the "modern" descriptions come primarily from Tolkien and CS Lewis.  Over the last 70 years or so others have either copy pasted or do small variations on it.  It's unusual for a game to redo creatures from a fantasy setting.  I find it very refreshing to see.