Scottish independence - economics

Walsingham

I thought it would be good to have a thread for this.

The question of Scottish independence is not just one for the Scots and English. It would mean the end of Great Britain, and by inference her impact on European affairs. This in turn would affect World affairs.

~~

I was going to kick off by suggesting that if Scotland IS to have independence on grounds of differential development and culture it would make sense to extend the boundary to include cities as far South as Manchester.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I do think we're better together then apart, but I'm also annoyed at a lot of this.

One of the reports that came out a couple of weeks back had the whole "amount of tax money spent per head" in the country. And frankly, the Scots have the most tax money spent on them, followed by the Welsh, then the Irish (Northern Ireland) and the English have the lowest.  The Scots have incredibly low costs for their Universities because of government subsidies not available down south, they get free prescriptions of advanced drugs that are considered "too expensive" to be used by the NHS in England, and they get all that from the taxes of the UK as a whole. 

So to have them waving the banner over how we're sucking tax money out of Scotland and they'll be better off and wealthier without the rest of the UK.. does get a wee bit irritating.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why would Scotland want to be independent?

I have been following this story and it doesn't make sense to me. Scots that support independence say they want to make there own political decisions but is that the reason ? Don't they already decide on internal Scottish issues? Also on Sky last night they had some economists who were saying if Scotland becomes independent it will cost the average Scottish citizen 1000 pounds per year. So they wouldn't  be financially better off

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Will Mel Gibson be the King of Scotland if they go independent?

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's probably a lot more about historical pride and self rule rather than any purely logical motivation?

I tend to agree, but you know what they say "pride comes before a fall"  :blink:

John Milton 

I thought it would be good to have a thread for this.

The question of Scottish independence is not just one for the Scots and English. It would mean the end of Great Britain, and by inference her impact on European affairs. This in turn would affect World affairs.

~~

I was going to kick off by suggesting that if Scotland IS to have independence on grounds of differential development and culture it would make sense to extend the boundary to include cities as far South as Manchester.

I have to say that the impact of her majesty's government in European affairs has been somewhat lacking with your decision to not play a major role in the EU. I can understand the reservation though. Are we indulging in nostalgia here, it seems so. 

Rosbjerg beat me to it. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

md_2490ed13116386504823263.jpg

lol, they yet named this small country as GREAT. Megalomania is so Megalomania.

Well the reason why God made England so small... because otherwise we would have conquered the whole bloody world. Not just the 3/4's of it that we did.. :shifty:

• Like 1

You're right, the UK has a marginal role in the EU. However for me personally it's an important one since we are generally on the same side on economic questions.

The UK having a permanent seat on the UN Security Council is already a bit of a stretch, if Scotland were to declare independence it would be even more strange. You could as well have the Vatican on there.

I really do not understand why the Scots want to do this though, out of any sense of self-preservation they should stick as close as they can to England and London, which is where the money is. They must really be betting on the oil card, that's pretty much the only way I can see them going through with this.

It would be very interesting to see what would happen to London and England as well if this happens, it would probably hurt London's status as a global city quite a bit.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

One thing that's hitting here is they're shutting down chunks of the naval construction in Portsmouth. In this vital moment when certain folks are pushing for Scottish Independence.. The Government is cancelling contracts down south to give all the Royal Navy construction to Scottish companies. I guess I'm wondering if the whole, make people unemployed down here as a side-effect for trying to increase good thoughts from Scotland is a planned out thing...

Why would England's status be diminished? Isnt the Scotland/England relationship a parasitic one with England shouldering the bills? What does Scotland contribute to the union? England would probably be better off.

All that money they pour into providing cheaper University access does produce Engineers and Scientists and there's a large chunk that go into the Armed Forces.

Hello. Long time dead poster first time resurrectee.

Salmond's an idiot and his policies are moronic. With that chap at the helm the only way Scotland will vote for independence is if their sense of nationalism is greater than their sense of self-preservation.

• Like 2

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I don't think it's at all fair to claim 'Scotland' asked for this vote. Salmond did. Because - and I'd be delighted if someone showed me I'm wrong - he's a complete nonentity whose only chance at historical status is getting a yes on independence.

~

As an aside, and speaking as an 'evil Englishman' can I ask that at the very least Scotland not pin its hopes on French/Spanish intervention YET AGAIN?

It's getting tedious, because we all know that mainland Europe's only interest in Scotland is upsetting England.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why would England's status be diminished? Isnt the Scotland/England relationship a parasitic one with England shouldering the bills? What does Scotland contribute to the union? England would probably be better off.

All that money they pour into providing cheaper University access does produce Engineers and Scientists and there's a large chunk that go into the Armed Forces.

Yeah I feel I must add that the Scottish regiments, like the Highlanders, have really made Great Britain proud. They have a very prestigious military history and they would be a loss to the armed forces of the UK if Scotland does achieve independence

John Milton 

It would probably behoove us to actually compile a list of battles where we'd have had to fight shorthanded or not at all, if Scotland had not been present.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

It would mean the end of Great Britain, and by inference her impact on European affairs. This in turn would affect World affairs.

md_2490ed13116386504823263.jpg

lol, they yet named this small country as GREAT. Megalomania is so Megalomania.

Great as in bigger than Britain, ie Wales and England. Great Britain comes off the tongue better than "Slightly Bigger Britain", or "Britain Plus Scotland", or "Full Armed and Operational Britain", though I am a fan of the latter.

Good to see you again Kroney.

Hello. Long time dead poster first time resurrectee.

Salmond's an idiot and his policies are moronic. With that chap at the helm the only way Scotland will vote for independence is if their sense of nationalism is greater than their sense of self-preservation.

Hi

Hi guys! Some of you are still knocking around, then. Good to see.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

XCOM has Scotland as separate from the UK, and it's set in 2015. I have no reason to believe that's not completely true.

But in all seriousness, if not for the fact that the vote is actually happening, I'd have assumed it was something as likely to succeed as the fringe section of Western Australians who wish to secede. Obviously Scotland has centuries of history that make it incomparable, but talking in terms of contemporary interests, they probably have less rational reasons to do so.

P.S. Wotcha!

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

On the other hand I certainly feel that Westminster does a pretty crap job at governing at the moment. I can't totally understand someone wanting rid of it.

On the other hand, independence as it stands won't deliver that.

-Elwood Blues

Of course, the moment the Scots do get Independence and stop wanting to argue with the English they'll go back to what they historically did before we got involved.

Argue and fight amongst themselves.. :shifty:

Of course, the moment the Scots do get Independence and stop wanting to argue with the English they'll go back to what they historically did before we got involved.

Argue and fight amongst themselves.. :shifty:

A good bit of violent cross border raiding would do the north of England no end of good.

Dirty deeds done cheap.