Will George Ziets be working on the game anymore?

A few people have asked George about his work on Project Eternity on his formspring and he has stated that he has not worked on the game since the Prototype stage.

Last time I worked on PE was in May. I could be working on it again in the future, though I'm not sure when.

Obsidian is keeping most of the work done in Project Eternity in-house and due to the limited budget of the game it makes sense to use George (Narrative Designer) where it counted the most - in pre-production.

We also know that George probably won't be doing any CNPC writing as he doesn't really enjoy doing it, it would be nice to know if George be contributing again though.

It doesn't seem like he'll get to do any Area Design, but hopefully he gets to do a bit of non-CNPC dialogue.

• Like 3

Since they are already well into production and because Ziets is only a writer (and not a designer), I doubt he'll be involved further.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Expansion? Maybe. But I'm sure they'll have to work out a new contract or hire him back outright. I think the issue with Ziets was that being only a writer, Obsidian couldn't really afford to have the luxury of having too many dedicated writers as opposed to having designers who also happen to write well.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 1 month later...

George's contract ended in May (6 months).

If they do not fill the Contract Writer position (probably the hardest position to fill), I think they will hire him again to do some more writing.

AFAIK he's doing pretty good as a Contractor - he got 6 months work on Eternity, and he's also got Torment and that P&P game, as well as some other stuff lined up he can't talk about. Going for the Contract Writer position at Obsidian would not be a good choice for him because it would impact his work on Torment (where he gets to do Area Design, which is something he wanted to do on Eternity but didn't get to) and it's a risk because it doesn't offer the best job security. He's already been laid off by Obsidian twice because he's lower on the food chain than Chris Avellone and Eric Fenstermaker.

My guess is that he will probably remain independent until a full-time position with job security comes his way.