Numenera PnP thread

PrimeJunta

So, Numenera is out. Any other prospective players/GM's here? What d'you think?

I'm going to start my campaign in another few weeks, after my D&D one winds to a close. Been reading the Corebook. My impressions so far --

I love the mechanics. Just enough to give the game structure but not get in the way. Some simple yet brilliant ideas there, such as making the rules asymmetrical, with a bare minimum for NPC's and lots of stuff for PC's, the GM intervention rules, and the rules encouraging player creativity, such as spending XP for short-term or long-term benefits, modifying esotery effects, and awarding each other XP. They suit my way of running the campaign to a T.

I'm less awed by the setting. It's very much of a kitchen-sink, with some way-cool, out-there ideas and locations. Unfortunately it's also a bit of a hodgepodge. As presented it strikes me as too poorly structured to be really believable. Weird and unknown is fantastic, but there has to be a minimum of underlying logic to make it work. There are also some downright dumb bits here and there ("Temple de Frogue" -- really?), with some fairly plain-vanilla kingdoms and empires and such. I prefer settings with more structure and a stronger history, and at least some high-level explanations for how they got that way. Al-Qadim, Planescape, and Dark Sun all qualify in this respect; the Ninth World, not so much.

Then again, I like world-building, and there are plenty of things to dip into, there. I have a hunch this may be what the designers intended; deliberately leaving fundamental things open so GM's and players can fill them in. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on this at this point?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I don't have a rule book, but some guys at my LCS were thinking of starting a Numenera or SR 5th game. Would you say that it is pretty easy to learn the rules in a couple of hours?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I'm only about 100 pages into the core book at this point, so I haven't gotten to reading about the setting in-depth yet.  I mirror your thoughts on the rules, though.  Until I actually play the game, whether from the GM side or the player side, this is all speculation, but I really like the system as it's presented.  It seems wonderfully simple, yet gives the player a lot of control over their actions.  In particular, the effort system seems brilliant.  The idea of being able to apply extra effort when you really need something to succeed, but at the cost of leaving you vulnerable and with less options going forward, is fantastic.  I also like how absolutely every action in the game, whether combat, athletic, intellectual, etc. is resolved in exactly the same manner.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out in practice.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't have a rule book, but some guys at my LCS were thinking of starting a Numenera or SR 5th game. Would you say that it is pretty easy to learn the rules in a couple of hours?

Definitely. It's by far the simplest RPG ruleset I've come across. The GM needs to do a bit of homework to get his/her end of the operation down, of course, but the core rules fit into a few pages.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The rules are extremely simple.  The main thing to learn is the few exceptions and all the modifiers, but that mainly happens during character creation and advancement, and you would generally have those handy.  The core of the system is extremely simple:  GM assigns a difficulty level to a task, whatever it may be (attacking an enemy, breaking down a door, jumping across a ravine, etc.).  The player needs to roll a certain number or higher on d20 to succeed (3 times the level of the task [e.g. a lev 4 task would require a roll of 12 or higher, a lev 2 task a roll of 6 or higher]).  Player applies any applicable assets (devices that would make the task easier [e.g. a crowbar would make breaking down a door easier]) and any effort they desire to reduce the difficulty of a task (e.g you can decrease a lev 4 task to a lev 3 task so you only need to roll a 9 rather than a 12 to succeed).  Player rolls and either succeeds or fails.  In a nutshell, that's the complete system right there.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I found this Numenera character generator which shows how the 3 word description alters your stats.  You can either let it randomize the descriptors or select each one from a pull down menu.

http://darkliquid.co.uk/playground/numenera/

I thought that chargen utility was a bit limited, so I made my own. Not as pretty (not a graphic designer here) but it has some more stuff in it.

http://www.prime-junta.net/numenera/chargen.html

Nice, both of them.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 3 weeks later...

we haven't played a numenera session yet. have read rules and we has some minor quibbles, and a faq or errata is looking like a necessity, but am otherwise impressed. effort/edge doesnt feel intuitive, but no doubt after we plays a few sessions, we become comfortable. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 1 month later...

So, Numenera is out. Any other prospective players/GM's here? What d'you think?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this at this point?

I think it has some really, really cool things, but the setting is somewhat lacking. I can't point my finger exactly how, but I definitely feel it's not bold and weird enough (compared to some of the recommended literature, e.g. Planetary or The Book of the New Sun - also, how on Earth did the Dark Tower series end up missing from that list?). Still, the underlying system, the ability to create a full-fledged character with personality, backstory and crunch under half an hour, and the few inspirationally weird ideas make it worth playing.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The setting is...  serviceable.  I too was hoping for something more, but it's okay.  Like the rest here, I'm very impressed with the system.  I'm getting ready to run an adventure from the back of the core book on my own, as both GM and player, just to get a feeling for how the system plays out in action.  I have an idea in my head, but reading about the rules and implementing them in action are entirely different things, so I feel a test run is in order.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸