The UK's proposed Internet filters..

Raithe

From what I can understand though. This isn't going to stop anyone more than an unlocked door.

It's simply putting up a warning sign.

And now that I've said that, surely all warning signs do to kids is make them want to see what's so dangerous?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sure, all those "Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics"-stickers on those Guns n' Roses CDs really stopped a lot of kids from buying and listening to them. 

When will you brittish stop voting for such twits in government?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The fact is that - like so many things - you had a vocal lobby demanding exactly this. Ministers and prime ministers get votes by giving in to lobbies, even when they make no sense.

I would refer the honourable members to the fact that the National Health Service now permits prescribing homeopathic remedies. Isn't this basically the same exercise is acceding to pointless demands?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Parents should have an ability to "block" individual websites from being accessible on their own computers, if they wish, so I'm not sure I'd mind if it was mandated that ISP's had to offer such a blocking type service as an option as you're going through the ISP purchase/subscription process (vs. parents having to go buy some 3rd party software) - but putting default to "on" and that this seems poised to potentially be some kind of general blanket "sex/violence/rock n roll" censorship route vs. a site by site basis doesn't seem good. :/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Register have pointed out, quite correctly, that the same bloody system has been in place on many mobile devices in the Uk for years.

After having discussed this I have to say that the only thing to be up in arms about is the complete ****ing waste of my tax money.

-Elwood Blues

From what I can understand though. This isn't going to stop anyone more than an unlocked door.

It's simply putting up a warning sign.

It isn't. It means you have to go ask permission to access the stuff. It's not an unlocked door, it's a locked door where you have to go ask the custodian for a keycard. And if anyone doesn't think they'll keep a list of who swiped which keycard when and to access what then they've been asleep for the past two months.

That it can be bypassed or that you an beg permission to have it lifted is irrelevant, as you shouldn't have to. Unfortunately, it won't be a waste of money either. Some people will ask it to be lifted, some people will get around it (well, "circumvention tools" are a target of the filter too...) but many won't even know about it, or buy into the "for the children!" rhetoric without knowing that it's actually a thoughtcrime filter straight out of 1984 aimed at anything Uncle Dave thinks unpalatable.

Well, I guess you chaps just have to sit back and see what actually happens now.

-Elwood Blues