There's a tiger in my think tank

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23273448

A third of Britain is effectively off-limits to lower-income working families because private rents are unaffordable, a new report claims.

The report comes from the Resolution Foundation, which campaigns on behalf of low to middle-income families.

It says most of southern England is now beyond the reach of less affluent households.

The BBC (may peace be upon them) frontline with this report this morning. If I ate cornflakes I would be spitting them.

The implication o the writers seems to be the Something Must Be Done, probably by government, to let low income families buy in the Southeast of England.

My own view is that there are quite correct, house prices are too high in the Southeast of England. My answer is that people in the Home Counties have to abandon their snobbish disdain for moving North. As do businesses.

However, my over-arching interest was piqued in the extent to which think tank research can move the media. Is this true in other members' countries?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well I only really read newspapers here, but think tanks are a huge influence on media here - but mostly as an inspiration to debate. I think English media in general is very Pathos, so to speak.. I'm guessing that's due to the history of your media?

Fortune favors the bald.

Situation is similar down under. Housing is something that divides the country into have several properties and never being able to own your own home. Here the problem (IMHO) is the urbanisation, which mean a country the size of Europe has 80% of it's population living in 5 cities or some such (not sure about the exact figures but I think people get the point). Everything else is effectively empty country. Not because the land is infertile, but because people seem to have this driving urge to congregate towards each other physically.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I remember my trip to Cornwall quite fondly. And not because Noel had a cold and was experimenting with turning snot into superglue by shoving used tissues against walls and willing them not to drop to the ground (the tissues; he'd probably have enjoyed the walls dropping at a mere shove. Not that that would have been impossible, but it is a different story and involves the deplorable construction of housing in Birmingham and a different cast of characters).

Strolling through St Ives on a remarkably sunny, though windy, spring day (and - as a side note to a certain other thread about Wals' shorts - rather warm day for England (I don't think Scotland ever has warm days)), it did strike me as a retreat for the rather well situated. Of course you wouldn't expect to be sold the Big Issue inside the Tate regardless of the region.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

You make an interesting point about Oz. In fact I believe most countries have a tendency to centralise. Capital cities just attract people.

Centralisation was predicted to be at an end with the rise of distributed working via the net. However if anything it seems to have got worse.

My developed point is that it hardly seems efficient to have people spending vast sums living in one small area rather than spreading out. I mean for the price of a house in Kent people could be living a fancy sustainable green house in Yorkshire.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Does employment have anything to do with their desire to stay?

On Wals' point about TTs: Here in the US they definitely impact the news, seeing how their members are often interviewed by or work for news channels.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My developed point is that it hardly seems efficient to have people spending vast sums living in one small area rather than spreading out. I mean for the price of a house in Kent people could be living a fancy sustainable green house in Yorkshire.

Yes, but think of the neighbours you'd have to deal with there? :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yes, but think of the neighbours you'd have to deal with there? :shifty:

Not you, for starters.

-Elwood Blues

Not you, for starters.

We all know most civilised life stops half an hour past the Watford Gap... ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."