What type are you (good, netural, evil) and what is your play style?

well in games you generally are saving the world (or a small portion of it), so if yo murder some old ladies to help you along you end up neutral, not evil.  most games get that wrong.  heck they always forget that you are saving all their lives, merchants want you to give them money up front before you grab one of their swords and kill the men trying to kill the shop keeper.  so most 'goodly' npcs are really just neutral, and the neutral ones are mildly evil.

take mass effect for instance.  things start killing human colony worlds, human government sends you out to deal with things, future UN sends you out to deal with things in secret.  you save them all on a tight budget, then they discard you.  you return and say **** is about to hit the fan, humans see something is going on, but they ignore your work so you turn to the mafia to save their lives.  after you get proof they ignore you again, even though all trillions will die as a result.  thus the galactic leaders knowingly helped in a genocidal war, they are evil.  if you mugged every person you came across (game won't let you, but what if...) that would help you save the universe, and thus you would neutral at worst.  in BG you are saving the whole region, you would have to be pretty evil to cause more harm than good, the slider doesn't go anywhere close enough to achieve such levels, thus you can't really be evil in BG.  i could go on.

in BG you dont set out to save anyone or anything. you set out to find your father's killer. the stopping of a war along the way is just a bonus that comes from hunting the guy who wants to start it. being evil does not mean you have the same goal as the other evil guy, so stopping the plans of sarevok in BG, while you act like a psychopath does not make you neutral just because along the way you stopped a war in the making.

if the joker had a fight with penguin for personal reasons and through it he stopped penguins plan that would have defeated batman, thus saving gotham, would he be less evil?

in mass effect, your quest is to save the galaxy. you dont get an option to be evil, you can be honourable about the way you do it or you can be a douche. so good or neutral, but if you were allowed to be evil, you would have the option to join the reapers

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'd have to say chaotic good. I fight evil, but occasionally accuse innocent bystanders of having a face like an arse.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd have to say chaotic good. I fight evil, but occasionally accuse innocent bystanders of having a face like an arse.

it's not evil if it's true, amirite?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.