Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Build Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
559 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

I can't find much in the way of reviews from benchmark sites that I usually trust, but I might go with it on the strength that it is gold+ and they probably have some in Sweden, where Fractal is based (across the bridge)

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts

Well I did see that the OEM is ATNG from this review. But I'm not familiar with the other models ATNG makes, so it's not overly helpful - the review itself is positive enough but I'm not familiar with the site either.

My go to place for reviews of this nature is normally Silent PC Review, who maintain a list of recommended models, though it's admittedly somewhat sparse.

EDIT: I should read useful information from my own links. Comprehensive information about OEMs for a massive range of PSUs here.

Edited by Humanoid, 29 October 2013 - 03:45 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

In the review link the from your last the Tesla is the only one who get's bad functionality marks under 'negatives', specifically 'Declining 3.3 V-rope under load'. The others get more acceptable complaints like 'too expensive' or 'too noisy under load.'

I guess I should look into what else is available.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

What are the 6 pin connectors that go into my Radeon HD 7950 called. I have been looking into Corsair alternatives and it only lists 8 pin PCI connectors and no 6 pin connectors of any kind. Surely that can't be true.

Doesn't even say if it comes with converters or how many. They also go up to 40 DB under full load, although they don't use the fan at all at low loads.

http://www.corsair.c...pply-units.html

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

This rather expensive fractal design PSU lists two '6+2' Connectors. Does that mean two 6 pin and two 2 pin, so you could fit it in either a 6 or an 8 pin socket ?

http://www.fractal-d.../newton-r3-800w

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You're good, they're PCI-E connectors for the graphics card ... the listing I'm looking at for the TX-750 says it comes with four 6+2 PCI-E connectors, where you plug in just the six and leave out the two, for 6-pin connections. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

I think I'm comming down in favor of the XFX ProSeries P1-750X-XXB9.

http://www.realhardt...vos/Page625.htm

http://products.xfxf...SU/P1-750X-XXB9

It's probably Seasonic on the OEM side since the 400W model is listed. It's cheap compared to the others I've considered. I don't know that the distance from a bronze+ to a platinum+ rating warrants a doubling in price. If I'm reading that chart right It hits 32 Decibels in cooling mode (maximum) which is comparable to other gold and platinum rating PSUs I've been looking at. Although it appears the pages for the silver and bronze model is missing ?. 

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts

Goes 85% - 89% - 92% - 94% respectively from Bronze to Platinum. Those are minimums. I don't really worry so much about the efficiency as much as the other perks of the higher-end models, so if it covers the nice little conveniences you're after then it's plenty good enough. Talking about stuff like modular cables (which is listed as "hybrid"  for the XFX, I guess that means some cables are modular and the essential ones not). What going for an X-series Seasonic got me for example is that it shuts down the fan and operates in passive mode when load is low. A luxury feature, so yeah, perfectly fine going with the Bronze.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Well too late to change anything now. I'll be putting the legos together Thursday or Friday hopefully. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

So everything fit together nicely. With the case closed the CPU is hovering around 42-43 degrees in the Bios, 39-40 with the case open, which probably means airflow is not ideal, but it should be fine. Everything is really quiet, except my GFX, but I think I can reduce fan speeds in the control center. Sometimes it's hard to predict how fans react to eachother and you get a perfect storms that create nuissance noises. I hope I won't have to look into another cooler for the GFX. It sounded quieter in the old case.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Yes, it was a just a matter of installing the driver.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

Took me  a while to figure out why my SSD was almost maxed out on a clean format and install.  The windows swap disk was a whopping 64 gb. x2 of the ram per default. lol.

It's quite the leap in performance from what I'm used to. There are practically no load times all the places I'm used to seeing them.   

• ManifestedISO likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Query:

Would it be both possible and easy to auto-compile a computer rigged to run last year's top games, and then price compare for those specs?

My own PCs typically run games two years behind the curve, and everything's dandy.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Autocompile? I don't know about that, have only seen websites that allow you to manually select items for comparison... some price comparison sites offer the possibility to compare products, as well as specific vendors' sites like Dell's

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd like to skip Windows and build a low-level API machine only for Steam games. I mean I think it sounds good ... Linux and/or Steam OS, both on an SSD ... perhaps with Kaveri/270 hardware, nothing bonkers ... and Mantle, if it proves to be worthwhile. No DirectX, no Internet Explorer, no high-level Windows bloat getting in the way ... I love the idea. Should be plenty of games available, too, by then, from what I'm seeing, even AAA. With any luck, at 1080p that R9 270 might perform like a 280 will under Windows.    

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

If ATI's API turns out to be a landslide that would help undermine the windows stranglehold, if games nolonger needed directx. ...

One can dream. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

All is not well with the new system. I have had two blue screens of death since I put it together. The event manager gave me this code

http://support.micro...2028504#method3

That's entirely too general to be of any use. Can a mere mortal make any use of the dump files. It killed my Enemy Within Ironman save. That is just.... unforgivable. 

It does suggest that the PSU is to blame. 

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts

Doing anything in particular when the BSODs happened? My first instinct would probably be Memtest, and also system file checker to check your OS install is okay (open a command prompt with admin rights, type sfc /scannow).

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4739 posts

I ran memtest twice, no problems detected while it was running the test, and it gave a no 'memory problems' message. The second time it completed the test and I had another blue screen just after windows loaded. The ram are set by the (I forget the name) profile in the bios automatically, I haven't fiddled with it otherwise. 

sfc /scannow found corrupt files, could not complete fixing them. 

The Chicken or the egg then ?. I mean the corrupt files could have been caused by the blue screen and vice versa. 

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts

Hard to say, might be worth trying a repair install of Windows (you don't lose everything, but a fair bit of re-updating). Perhaps run some diagnostics on your system drive - assuming it's the Samsung, their SSD Magician utility is very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users