Meanwhile in London: Beheading in broad daylight

Morgoth

No I firmly believe we are living the greatest age of mankind and its only going to get better :)

Then we don't have much in common and it would be pointless to have any sort of discussion/dialogue regarding this matter.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

No I firmly believe we are living the greatest age of mankind and its only going to get better :)

Then we don't have much in common and it would be pointless to have any sort of discussion/dialogue regarding this matter.

I really don't know how you argue otherwise. Living standards are immeasurably better now than they have been at any other point in human history by any yardstick that you care to name. Not that there isn't plenty of ****ty things you could point out, but to say that life isn't better now than it's ever been is pretty extraordinary.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I really don't know how you argue otherwise. Living standards are immeasurably better now than they have been at any other point in human history by any yardstick that you care to name. Not that there isn't plenty of ****ty things you could point out, but to say that life isn't better now than it's ever been is pretty extraordinary.

I completely agree and that would have been part of my answer, nice one :)

@ Astiaks

When would you say is the greatest mankind has ever been if you disagree with my statement?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Living standards

That all depends what you mean by living standards. Also, where are we talking about? Do Somalians for instance, have better living standards compared to 30 years ago? How about the Iranians? Noticed any significant change in their history?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It's better for the people that matter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not sure if this comes about due to the notion that democracy is great, or just that we have indoor plumbing now.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Living standards

That all depends what you mean by living standards. Also, where are we talking about? Do Somalians for instance, have better living standards compared to 30 years ago? How about the Iranians? Noticed any significant change in their history?

There are clear ways that government's can improve the lot of there people. Unfortunately not all governments know or follow these steps.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Living standards

Well, Bruce said "history of mankind". I would take that to mean mankind the species. Therefore you have to take the species-wide view. Extreme poverty is falling, the numbers of people dying from medieval diseases are falling, the global infant mortality rate is falling. All of these things are yardsticks by which you judge the betterment of mankind.

Somalians may be having a pretty **** time of things currently, but they are not representative of mankind as a whole. The fact that they jump to mind is precisely because they are pretty unusual. Even then, I would be willing to bet that the average Somali has better access to food, clean water and medicine than he did 30 years ago.

The average human being has a longer life span, is richer, has better access to all the basic necessities of life than at any other point in history.

• Like 3

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I'm not sure if this comes about due to the notion that democracy is great, or just that we have indoor plumbing now.

I cannot stress the importance of not having to throw my effluence out of a window highly enough.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Fwiiw I'm pretty sure that even under the mullahs most Iranians are doing better than 30 years ago. They aren't unmitigated bastards.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Point taken: there is little to nothing wrong with our world and it's better than ever!

You have two statements there:

"There is little to nothing wrong with our world"  - Nobody is claiming that.

"It's better than ever" - It quite clearly is.  

These statements do not need to be connected.

• Like 3

Don't confuse an improvement for everything being good. Plenty of people still living in poverty or in violent areas.  Somalia is a bad example, the 90s weren't kind to that place - apparently no functioning grid since 1991.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Greatest _so far_. Not perfect. Otherwise how could it get better?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...