Warhammer fantasy setting chat

Thought I'd break out a space for anyone playing in this milieu.

My first question is - does anyone understand the sodding warhammer calendar? My players keep asking about it. As if TIME actually matters to any real person!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Are we talking imperial calendar?

0 for the Empire and Cult of Sigmar is Sigmar's rise to power.

Interestingly enough, first edition Warhammer RPG states a number of dates differently than the link Elerond posted. So GW probably redconned a few dates as they fleshed out various cultures in the Fantasy Battle setting.

The original High Elf year 0 was -6000 IC, while now it seems to be -4500 IC.

The new date puts it far closer to the Dwarf Year 0 at -4000 IC.

The realy question is what kind of setting you are running. If you are palying 1st ed. and are using the adventures and stuff published for that, then your campaign is not really compatible with the newer fantasy battle stuff. I would then (and thats what I do in my own campaigns) ignore wiki entries and stick to events and characters as described in the old books.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm not using the original campaigns etc. This is all set in the city of Magritta in Estalia. I just wanted to try and flavour it up right.

#

EDIT: Unless anyone has any better ideas, I'm going to use the Brettonian calendar, with the months renamed in Spanish. Gorth, can you help with this?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hmmm, would need a it more dominant role of Myrmidia in that calendar I guess. While she does not have any set holy days, I guess you could create some of your own based on past crusades launched by the Magritta temple. You could even start your own calendar at 1500 IC when the first religious war with Arabia started.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'll have to retcon Myrmidia into Estalia as a whole. But I've steered clear of religion in Magritta, based on its polyglot origins. Helll, there's even an Araby quarter.

The biggest priestesshood in my Magritta is that of Malestra, and these crimson robed babies don't even leave the Kovostella arena very much.

There's a Big Event coming up after which I guess Myrmidia could play a part.

-Elwood Blues

They sold it.

-Elwood Blues

You could make a fictive calendar with year "0" being the year the "reconquista" started and the knightly orders of the old world began The Great Crusade to liberate Estalia from Araby (Imperial Calendar 1448 or some such).

Both the Empire and Bretonia uses the year of their formation as a nation as year zero.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Good shout, Gortho. Although the year's less of an issue. It's really simple things like the day of the week, and the month. 

-Elwood Blues

As a matter of convenience, I would shamelessly steal the calendar from their more "organised" northern neighbours.

Imperial Calender

Basically a 400 day year. Make up some local names, but follow the convention?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As a matter of convenience, I would shamelessly steal the calendar from their more "organised" northern neighbours.

Imperial Calender

Basically a 400 day year. Make up some local names, but follow the convention?

Argh. Why did I look? I like warhammer, but that fake germanic always makes me cringe.

Well, I know what you mean. But it's no worse than the sodding Latin!

-Elwood Blues

You enjoying the prequel tale, by the way? I'm waiting on the player getting the rest to me.

At some pointing I'm intending to upload the entire campaign, as he's been writing up as he goes.

-Elwood Blues

Very much so.

Was going to ask, is the player the person being told the story and who will set out on an adventure, or the one telling the story who by then will have retired? :)

Edited by melkathi

The guy listening isn't the character. Bernado Barracuda is going to be in the main story.

I found it amusing that the player chose that name so that every time he said it he would find it easier to put on a Spanish accent.

-Elwood Blues

How come there are so few setting related books for Warhammer FRP? Both in the first and second editions there are a ton of adventures but very little setting material.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

How come there are so few setting related books for Warhammer FRP? Both in the first and second editions there are a ton of adventures but very little setting material.

First edition didn't really need it. It was fully compatible with WH40k: Rogue Trader, and first edtion fantasy battle up to part of third edition. Thus the old Realm of Chaos books for example could be used for all. It is only halfway through 3rd ed Fantasy Battle and with the 2nd ed of 40k that everything was segregated. At that time GW made the shift to focus only on minis, so the RP got left to rot.

Edited by melkathi

We're going back a long time, and the market was more diverse. I think the folks writing games, and the people playing them were (maybe) into a wider variety. The GM was supposed to create more themselves.

I could be waaay off here.

-Elwood Blues

I've been reading the main rulebook for the second edition. Nice set of rules, unlike DnD/Pathfinder they're immediately understandable and the character generation process has a lot more variety.

It's certainly a favourite of mine. I think players enjoy not having complete control as well. It take some of the pressure off.

Thinking about it it also helps the GM, because it means he can't assume too much before the players kick off. I mean you may have any sort of people in your party.

On the other hand it DID mean that I felt I had to do some prequel games to establish the players' backgrounds properly.

-Elwood Blues

The realistic combat difficulty is nice, I never could stand DnD powergaming. And it makes for less combat intensive games.

Well, it certainly makes the players a bit more bloody cautious. We spent an entire session with them trying to get out of being sent into a tough spot!

One of the characters has been shot, stabbed, and chewed so thoroughly that the right side of his face is almost all scar tissue.

EDIT: If he hasn't had Fate Points to spare he'd have been killed three times.

I find the players aren't worried until the first bad guy gets killed by one hit, and they realise they're bound by the same rules.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Its somehow cool to know, that no matter how powerful your character gets, he's still human and the monsters are still monsters.

I made a character for fun. I chose to be a dwarf and rolled a 98 - Troll Slayer. For fun I rolled again. I got 98.

This game knows me.

Then I looked at the career advancement. Giant slayer. Sweet. Then I looked at the small print: "you have to kill a giant to advance to this career".

I say fine, open up the Old World Bestiary and look up the Giant entry.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Like 2