Is there any kind of difficult terrain mechanic?

In the first in game footage it looks like the character is just walking on an invisible bridge when he's crossing the wet stepping. I don’t mind the lack of animation but walking through water like that should at least slow you down, seems like an important tactical idea being overlooked.
It wouldn’t be hard to implement in this game you could just “paint” areas of the floor at different levels of difficulty. So normal/unpainted (say a paved path) would be 1, mud would be 0.8 and wet rocks would be 0.4. Multiply walking speed by terrain difficulty, tidy up the animation and maybe add a “sure footed” perk that reduces terrain difficulty and you’re done. This is a simplified version of the D&D system which would include stumbles and falls but could require a tonne of re-balancing.

In first person or more hi fidelity third person it could be a lot of work but in this engine it would be easy and in my opinion would really add to the tactical element.

• Like 1

Not that it's bad to ask about this at all, but I wouldn't assume too much from that video demo, as they specificed that it's in no way intended to be the finished product. They were just trying to show off an example of the environments and aesthetic effects there-in, mainly.

To put it another way, I don't think our failure to point out the flaws in that demo would, in any way, lead to them going "Oh well, no more work to be done on character animations! *STAMP* DONE! 8D"

But, I do think there's value to the discussion of how to handle terrain and footing, :). Especially in combat. I think running across ice or the effects of a grease spell should result in not just stationary slipping and falling, but sliding into allies and foes, alike, causing further tripping, etc. Things like that. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I wouldn't mind a slowdown mechanic, but I would rather not have any kind of stumble mechanic due to the natural environment. When out of combat and just navigating such an environment, it would just be a chore seeing your party members stumble, fall over, get up, walk a few steps and then begin the cycle anew.

In combat I dislike it even more, since I envision that it easily could turn combat into slapstick, or something akin to the old Miss/Miss/Miss/Critical hit kind of Combat BG had.

Just my personal preference of course.

There's been a terrain effect thread before. Obsidian has said nothing about terrain.

I wouldn't mind a slowdown mechanic, but I would rather not have any kind of stumble mechanic due to the natural environment. When out of combat and just navigating such an environment, it would just be a chore seeing your party members stumble, fall over, get up, walk a few steps and then begin the cycle anew.

In combat I dislike it even more, since I envision that it easily could turn combat into slapstick, or something akin to the old Miss/Miss/Miss/Critical hit kind of Combat BG had.

Just my personal preference of course.

The classic IE "MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS, CRITICAL MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS" experience was thanks to the D20 system. Edited by AGX-17

The classic IE "MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS, CRITICAL MISS, MISS, MISS, MISS" experience was thanks to the D20 system.

Actually, I think it was mainly due to players trying to "play it safe" by optimizing their front-line fighters for AC, while neglecting items and spells that improved Thac0.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Difficult terrain isn't necessary but since they have run/walk mechanics like PS:T technically they could fiddle around with stuff that limits you to walking speed. Personally I hope there's a Grease spell and something like Web and Entangle, other than that I am not concerned.