Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Kickstarter thread (PnP edition)

Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In tabletop RPG news:

Nice to see the hobby is alive and well.

• Calrabjohns likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

An idea that has been a long time in coming... :)

11 seems like too small a number though.

Edited by rjshae, 02 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3026 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

Throne of Night just pased it's funding goal as well.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Found a few more:

• Calrabjohns likes this

babaganoosh13

babaganoosh13

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:babaganoosh013
  • Steam:babaganoosh013

A funny thing I just read on Penny Arcade that reminded me of when I was in Grade 9:

D&D and the devil: One man is trying to send up radical Christianity by taking it seriously

One of the first projects that my 2nd Art teacher in grade 9 (I got moved when my first class was over-filled) gave us to do was to draw a head shot. I can't remember what I drew, but my friend Steve drew a hobgoblin's head from the Monster Manual. When he went to turn it in, she wouldn't accept it.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because it has to do with Dungeons & Dragons." she replied.

"What's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons?" he asked.

"Dungeons & Dragons make people kill themselves." she replied.

I probably got into the conversation at that point. I don't remember what else was said, but what I will always remember was what we did for the rest of the year in her class. Any time we would act up or stuff, we would say "Dungeons & Dragons made me do it!"

She threw out so much our work that year. Anything that had anything remotely to do with D&D, she would not accept; even if it had nothing to do with why we originally made/drawn something. Even our Ren & Stimpy clay figures we made she wouldn't accept. The kiln always happened to be broken, or was already being used that day. Finally after a while she just said straight up she wasn't accepting them. I think I did 6 or 7 final projects at the end of the year. We only had to do 3, but she kept rejecting my work for whatever reason.

Interestingly enough, her main job at the school was as a guidance councellor. In fact, while I was doing all that crap in her class, she was great for me when I was having a problem with another one of my teachers who had a tendency of not liking the hockey players in her class (or their direct relatives, in my case) and I tried getting out of her class before I failed it. That teacher would give me zeros if I corrected a mistake I noticed on my diagrams, or would mark stuff wrong on my tests when it was right (My cousin & I: C - wrong. 3 People by us: C - right)

------

Dark Dungeons: The Movie Kickstarter has made its target. ($14,980/$12,500)

-------

Strangely enough: I've had a few characters die on me; and suicide has not crossed my brain once. :lol:

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

The thing that always amused me was how none of the chick tracts or whatever bothered to ask what we DID with the wizards and demons in the dungeons. The answer being "set fire to them, chopped them into salsa, and seized all their misbegotten treasure" you'd have thought they'd approve.

• Deadly_Nightshade and Nepenthe like this

babaganoosh13

babaganoosh13

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:babaganoosh013
  • Steam:babaganoosh013

Only if you gave all the money to the church, and prayed for forgiveness. Each time. :biggrin:

Edited by babaganoosh13, 05 May 2013 - 05:23 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

More projects underway...

• Calrabjohns likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

Someone should invent a system based around throwing darts at a dartboard, and drinking shots of bourbon.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Recently successfully funded:

Under way:

• Calrabjohns likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the updates.

If you have time it would be interesting to get your perspective on what the key features of the successful ones are.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Per an April Kickstarter update, the Numenera setting corebook and player's guide will ship in August. Here is a summary written back in March. The Numenera kickstarter took in US $517,255; pretty good for a RPG setting.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for the updates.

If you have time it would be interesting to get your perspective on what the key features of the successful ones are.

For what it's worth:

• Freeport: the City of Adventure -- a Pathfinder setting in a port city with pirates, rogues, cultists, and so forth.
  • Achtung! -- Lovecraftian horror setting during World War 2.
  • Throne of Night -- stand-alone Pathfinder adventure in the underground world.
  • Wicked Fantasy -- Pathfinder setting featuring redesigned fantasy races.
  • The Guide to Glorantha -- Two volume guide to Glorantha for any system.
  • Sovereign Stone -- Looks like a traditional fantasy setting by a collaboration of Larry Elmore, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. The KS is based upon the Pathfinder mechanics, with new creatures, magic, and setting.
  • Crimson Exodus -- A skills-based RPG system with the usual fantasy elements.
  • The Elves of Uteria sourcebook -- A sourcebook of elves detailing five different cultures.
  • Witch Hunter: The Invisible World -- 2nd edition of a cinematic, free-form RPG based upon the works of Solomon Kane. It is set in an alternate history 1690.

• Walsingham and Calrabjohns like this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Interesting. So a good scattering of fantasy ones.

Thinking back I believe my question was more along the lines of which ones actually delivered.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Interesting. So a good scattering of fantasy ones.

Thinking back I believe my question was more along the lines of which ones actually delivered.

It's hard to tell without looking at the finished product. Perhaps we'll see reviews on rpg.net down the road.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Conquest of the Universe -- a space-opera campaign book in a high-tech fantasy setting, using the Pathfinder system. Successful: $6,140 pledged.
  • The Ministry Initiative -- includes a new steam-punk role-playing game. Successful: $30,480 pledged.
  • World Beneath the Clouds -- A setting book about the alternate world of Venus in the Hive, Queen, and Country steam-punk universe. Successful: $3,055 pledged.

• Calrabjohns likes this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cool. Keep it coming.

Calrabjohns

Calrabjohns

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Calrabjohns
  • Kickstarter Backer
http://www.kickstart...ing-engine-rpg?

The Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine is the current project by Jenna Moran. She created Nobilis and apparently bits of Exalted that are in high regard. Like Nobilis, Chuubo is a diceless PnP. It's a very flexible system that allows (and sometimes encourages) for multiple genres to be used. Have you ever wanted to play Adventure Time in a PnP? Doable and in the wheelhouse already of Chuubo. It celebrates the convergence of the small (you keep your room tidy and enjoy ice cream) with the large (defeat the God of the Underworld with your cleanliness and penchant for melty confection).

This is the first warm and whimsical RPG I've explored and I have a long way to go. There's about 36 hours before the KS finishes. It's about 8k away from hitting the final stretch goal but at the moment it's 900 from hitting a miniature stretch goal. As a campaign, it's been similarly peculiar as the game is but very generous.

I think anyone who appreciates shows like Adventure Time or played Homestuck (which I learned about during the course of Chuubo) would really enjoy this game. You don't have to go by these garbled words of mine though. You can look at all the material currently available even if you pledge just $1. All of the working drafts for the Core Book and the first two supplements are available for perusal in a Dropbox account. It's an honor system here. From $15 and up, you're encouraged to keep the working drafts. Below that amount, it's hoped that you'll download and delete after review if the game isn't working for you.

Sorry for the overly solicitous description. I'm just hoping it hits the last benchmark and I'm trying to impart some of the benefits/virtues (commercially) in the current standing. Also, I will only have a chance of playing in a game with those that Play By Post and this helps hopefully to that end if any of you both play that way and check this out should it catch your fancy. If I'd seen something about Golden Sky Stories sooner, I'd have jumped on that game so fast. I just learned about that game two days ago and it looks like a blast as well as being very generous to those that got in on the ground floor.

Not sure if any of that actually addresses the OP and I know the rest probably won't. I'm mentioning this in the off chance that there are games of interest people can point me to in the future in this thread and I want to introduce myself. I'll try to use a spoiler box though to confine the verbiage.

Spoiler

That's about it. Seems like a beefy first post to me :p. Sorry if it was too much.

Calrabjohns

Calrabjohns

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Calrabjohns
  • Kickstarter Backer
I promise this is the last Chuubo post. The KS campaign had a crazy last day. It went from me being a little skeptical that there'd be a completed second supplement book for Chuubo. Enthusiasm took over though and that book is not only secured for $15 pledge and up but two more goals were reached. The reason I'm bringing it up here is the print version of Glass Dragon funded with a relatively small window for people to avail themselves of (8 hours). In the event that such a scenario occured, Jenna Moran decided to open up PayPal for a week for anyone that either wanted to purchase that printed book or pledge at all be it for Chuubo Core or more. And here's the less altruistic reason I bring this up:

From the beginning, there were slim possibilities that Nobilis 2e or as some call it, "The Great White Book," would get a revival. It didn't look like it could happen because of how slim the 80k Chuubo Glass Dragon was for fruition. It concluded at about 90,100. If we can hit 95k before July 23rd, pledgers from $50 and up will receive a PDF of a newly created Nobilis 2e. I bring it up here because I've heard many people have wanted it back for a long time. All of this is new to me so I want my first crack if possible. Chances are decent it will happen I think. 7 days with 4900 left needed---700 a day. New pledges and people increasing preexisting should make it so. In the off chance one person checks this out though from all these words, this is worth it.

No more jibber jabber. I'll post the original KS page and the current link to where payments are being made now. If there are any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Original Page:

http://www.kickstart...ting-engine-rpg

Current Page for PayPal (along with Eventual Complete Successor I believe):

http://imago.hitherb...ragon-in-print/

Just so it's not all about the coffers, here's two that I'm looking at but haven't pledged yet. Might have already posted the link to one but I don't remember.

http://www.kickstart...changing-breeds

http://www.kickstart...ror-rpg-travels

For Esteren, you can download the Prologue book at drivethrurpg.com to see if it's something you want to pledge. They have a link in the KS to go there. For Changing Breeds, you can click a link at the KS page to a Read Only document for a rough draft of the entire book.

I know this was pushy but I hope it doesn't dissuade from just giving a look at Chuubo if nothing else. Thanks and have a good night/morning. And now I really will get some sleep.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Another update...

Edited by rjshae, 17 July 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users