Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

At least Verlander hasn't been completely untouchable. It all boils down to stamina now...who breaks first. Haha.

...Lackey's worked hard and done well this year and I've tried to like him more, but I just can't stand the fellow. He's been a nice comeback story tho, and it'd be great if he could outpitch/outlast Verlander. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

PHEW! That inning made me nervous. Keep it together, Red Sox relievers...keep it together...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes!  Sawx win!  What a pitching performance from John Lackey, he was spectacular!  And of course, the Napoli solo shot that was the difference.  This was one of those games where the pitching was so good it was going to be a solo jack that would be the difference, I'm glad it was the Sawx that hit said solo jack.

Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You gotta love the tension in a game like that 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Take that, Mr. Post-Season Verlander.

babywoot.gif

In fairness, Verlander was really really good.  It's just that Lackey was just as good and that one solo shot by Napoli made the difference.  But yeah, when you can get a W over Verlander, it's cause to celebrate.  :biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The A's beat Verlander 1-0 as well, that guy is not getting any run support.

You're right about the lack of run support.  The A's did beat Detroit 1-0 but not Verlander as JV went 7 scoreless innings in that game and got a no-decision.  The guy has given up one run in 23 innings pitched over 3 games. 

That's baseball for you. I can recall some Beckett games (and many other pitchers of course) where they were superb but couldn't get any run support. Doesn't take away from the pitcher's effort just because the game may not have been won.

But I'm still gonna victory dance.

flashbacon2.gif

Not to distract for the post season with off season stuff ( some of us have no choice) but there may be a "Ray" of hope on keeping David Price in town:

http://www.raysindex.com/2013/10/the-hangover-the-rays-may-be-trying-to-sign-david-price-to-a-long-term-contract.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Not to distract for the post season with off season stuff ( some of us have no choice) but there may be a "Ray" of hope on keeping David Price in town:

http://www.raysindex.com/2013/10/the-hangover-the-rays-may-be-trying-to-sign-david-price-to-a-long-term-contract.html

Edit:  I expect the Dodgers and Angels to make a major place for Price.  Especially the Angels because their pitching sucks big time.

Followed a couple of links and found  this artcile about the situation with Schiano. 

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/fennelly-bucs-mess-just-cant-end-well-20131013/

should have posted this in the NFL thread

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Edit:  I expect the Dodgers and Angels to make a major place for Price.  Especially the Angels because their pitching sucks big time.

Followed a couple of links and found  this artcile about the situation with Schiano. 

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/fennelly-bucs-mess-just-cant-end-well-20131013/

should have posted this in the NFL thread

Best quote ever:

I’d call this a circus, but I’ve stopped doing that out of fear of litigation that actual circuses might consider it libelous to be compared with the Bucs. Hey, don’t think guys with seltzer bottles don’t have lawyers.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Well that game sucked....for Red Sox fans. It was great for Tigers fans. ;)

Wow, The Tigers finally found their bats. But with Lester facing Sanchez tonight the pitching edge goes to the Sox. I think the series will decided tonight. If the Sox win and go back to Boston only needing one win in two games they will get it. If Detroit wins I think they will find a way to win in Boston. The Sox have not had their backs to a wall all year. I don't think they will know how to handle it. And that is an organization that has not handled pressure well in the past.

Thomas Sowell

Wow, The Tigers finally found their bats. But with Lester facing Sanchez tonight the pitching edge goes to the Sox. I think the series will decided tonight. If the Sox win and go back to Boston only needing one win in two games they will get it. If Detroit wins I think they will find a way to win in Boston. The Sox have not had their backs to a wall all year. I don't think they will know how to handle it. And that is an organization that has not handled pressure well in the past.

Not if Sanchez pitches like he did in game 1, he was filthy.  Sawx got punched in the mouth last night, but it's 2-2 and they've already done what they had to do in Detroit, get home field advantage back.  Who knows, maybe no one will win 2 games in a row in this series?  I'd be fine with that.  :biggrin:

As for backs against the wall, down 5-1 in the 8th with the prospect of going down 2-0 and heading to Detroit to face Verlander isn't backs against the wall?  Sounds like we got different definitions of backs against the wall.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

As for backs against the wall, down 5-1 in the 8th with the prospect of going down 2-0 and heading to Detroit to face Verlander isn't backs against the wall?  Sounds like we got different definitions of backs against the wall.

^This.  That game 2 victory was huge for Boston.  Having to win 2 with Sanchez, Scherzer and Verlander in line isn't a huge task.  :)    It's also not a sure thing to win 2 either.   

HUGE baserunning mistake by Miggy in the 1st.  I was utterly stunned when he rounded 3rd and kept going.  He had ZERO chance of beating that throw.  Even had it been a couple feet off line (which it wasn't), he still would have been out easily.  I mean, the guy isn't exactly fleet of foot when he's 100%, but he's gimpy on top of that.  What the **** was he thinking?

Edit:  **** yes, Mike Napoli does it again.  He freakin' CRUSHED that pitch.

Edit 2:  Sawx are whooping up on Sanchez in the 2nd.  He's not the same guy he was in game 1, he doesn't have it today.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sawx win, I can sleep well tonight.  Lester's control was off tonight, but he did enough.  Uehara, as always, was automatic, getting a 5 out save.  Sawx now have 2 games in Boston in which to get 1 win.  I'd love to see them end this in game 6, though I still can't shake the feeling that no team will win 2 in a row in this series (again, I'm fine with that).

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸