New Star Wars RPG

No, our point is that DS3 wasn't a Diablo clone, so why are you saying that they should have gone with the Diablo control scheme? It couldn't have worked!

How exactly was it different outside of the control scheme? I guess you could say it had a free camera and Diablo didn't, but there have been other Diablo clones with rotating cameras. Left click move (hold down shift or click directly on enemy to attack), hold right click to rotate camera, and everything else bound to keys.

That's a Diablo clone.

Also, even if it was a completely different genre the fact that they just ported the controller layout was beyond obvious; block/dodge bound to same button, interact key in a game with a mouse pointer, etc.

How exactly was it different outside of the control scheme? I guess you could say it had a free camera and Diablo didn't, but there have been other Diablo clones with rotating cameras. Left click move (hold down shift or click directly on enemy to attack), hold right click to rotate camera, and everything else bound to keys.

Diablo is point & click, Dungeon Siege 3 isn't. You control the character directly, have to manually select the direction he faces before attacking, etc.

Also, even if it was a completely different genre the fact that they just ported the controller layout was beyond obvious; block/dodge bound to same button, interact key in a game with a mouse pointer, etc.

That's not a control scheme, that's gameplay. Having the dodge/block functions separated would make no sense in that game. Also, they did take advantage of the PC's greater number of keys by having the abilities of the Defensive Stance bound to different keys instead of the console's scheme (Block + button for ability).

Also, when the game uses the mouse as the direction controller and that you can't point on things (like in a point & click), an interact key sort of becomes necessary.

Edited by Sannom

Diablo is point & click, Dungeon Siege 3 isn't. You control the character directly, have to manually select the direction he faces before attacking, etc.

So, once again, the reason it's not point and click is because it's not point and click. They chose to make it so you manually direct the character; nothing about the gameplay dictates a necessity for that.

That's not a control scheme, that's gameplay. Having the dodge/block functions separated would make no sense in that game. Also, they did take advantage of the PC's greater number of keys by having the abilities of the Defensive Stance bound to different keys instead of the console's scheme (Block + button for ability).

Actually that's exactly what a control scheme is. Delinking block and dodge would allow the player to block and dodge at any moment as opposed to making it a context sensitive command that's dependent on whether or not they are moving. That type of contextual sensitivity was created specifically for control schemes with limited numbers of buttons (such as controllers).

Also, when the game uses the mouse as the direction controller and that you can't point on things (like in a point & click), an interact key sort of becomes necessary.

The game uses the mouse as a direction controller because they ported the thumbstick function directly to the right mouse button; not because holding down the button is somehow better for this type of game.

"Actually, very accurate, that's how Feargus described it recently in an
interview : they had a release date set for December, early versions of
the games made their interlocutors at Lucas Arts very enthusiastic so
they told Obsidian to expand and gave them six more months, but 'last
minute' Lucas Arts changed plans and came back to the original date and
Obsidian had to cut short on the additional content."

Let me get this straight.... you corrected me by agreeing with me. WTF!?!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Actually, very accurate, that's how Feargus described it recently in an

interview : they had a release date set for December, early versions of

the games made their interlocutors at Lucas Arts very enthusiastic so

they told Obsidian to expand and gave them six more months, but 'last

minute' Lucas Arts changed plans and came back to the original date and

Obsidian had to cut short on the additional content."

Let me get this straight.... you corrected me by agreeing with me. WTF!?!

The funny thing is you said I was inaccurate then repeated what I said in your own words, then he expanded on what I said. So basically we are all correct.

The lesson for OE is: Get it in writing.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They didn't get the time extension in writing. Which was why they were hooped when LA decided to go back to the christmas release.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg