I've got an idea. Have you played Sid Meier's Pirates! (that one from 1987, I didn't played new version)? I'd liked the system of ending the game. You choose right time - at beginning (when you're poor) - you became beggar, when you are wealthy - baron, king advisor or even prince etc (there was a lot of availabilities), there was also a romance and seek out relative. In rpg game of course it could be more complicated on dependencies if you're good or bad, if you've got stronghold or not, romance, money, quests. Maybe you lived in good health and died at age 100, or you lived only a couple years after events - because some bounty hunter stabbed you in dark alley. That would be something more interesting and different then traditional movie on the end.

I've got an idea. Have you played Sid Meier's Pirates! (that one from 1987, I didn't played new version)? I'd liked the system of ending the game. You choose right time - at beginning (when you're poor) - you became beggar, when you are wealthy - baron, king advisor or even prince etc (there was a lot of availabilities), there was also a romance and seek out relative. In rpg game of course it could be more complicated on dependencies if you're good or bad, if you've got stronghold or not, romance, money, quests. Maybe you lived in good health and died at age 100, or you lived only a couple years after events - because some bounty hunter stabbed you in dark alley. That would be something more interesting and different then traditional movie on the end.

I like the endings of Fallout, Arcanum. slide show

Edited by Dronios
  • Like 2

Yeah I think the slide show style of fallout is a great approach that won't take too much time to implement. Just seeing how the various towns and people you meet are impacted by your decisions along the way would be great to see.

You wouldn't want them to do too much dynamic in-game story variations and multiple end scenes as this would be another time consuming task to add over all the rest.

I did like how NWN allowed you to kill the end boss multiple ways like just saying their secret name and force suicide as a nice way to mix things up based on what you did earlier.

You wouldn't want them to do too much dynamic in-game story variations and multiple end scenes as this would be another time consuming task to add over all the rest.

Why so? It will be great to have real and deep multiple endings. I know it is realy hard task, but is is also chalange to the developers, I hopefuly belive they will make the endings realy intriguing and every ending will not only decide our fate in the end of the game, but some of the endings will decide how to end the game from the earlier stages of the game.

www.mazhlekov.com

www.portals.mazhlekov.com

Logistically though, I'd assume they'd have to compromise a bit to leave in a hook for the expansion (assuming the events of the expansion take place subsequent to those of the main game, which for a full expansion is far more likely than it is for contemporary DLC). That's before even getting into possible sequels. So I don't imagine there'll be complete freedom, like having the PC disappear to wander around searching for the other end of the world. I don't envy them the job of finding a workable compromise - something which gives satisying closure without painting themselves into a corner.

An example I guess - selecting the new councillor at the conclusion of Mass Effect. Viewed in isolation, the initial reaction would be "cool, I get a hand in the future direction of the gameworld." But I think most probably by the time writing for the sequel had begun, the writers may well have been regretting the move to put that decision in the original game. It didn't harm that game in itself, but on the other hand, neither was there really any specific reason that would favour doing it - any gain would be far dwarfed by the potential future issues.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G