Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want your character portraits to be like Baldur's Gate or NWN2?

poll

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented? (558 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented?

1. Baldur's Gate (Artist's rendition) (458 votes [82.08%])

Percentage of vote: 82.08%

2. Neverwinter Nights 2 (3D model that you change during character creation) (84 votes [15.05%])

Percentage of vote: 15.05%

3. I have my own idea, not related to the above. (16 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

iraya

iraya

Storm Warden of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:spaceiraya
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

While I very much enjoyed the BG type of portrait, I personally voted for the NVW2 because it represented your character accurately. That being said, I agree with others saying that it could be something in between. Kind of like a painterly finish (much like BG) but it reflects your character model as well.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

Curator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, since they've gone with portraits I'd really prefer it if each portrait chosen had a preset face for the character model, to spare me the difficulty of trying to remember what the portrait looked like and match my model up with it as best as I can. Oddly enough, you couldn't really accurately replicate most of the Shadowrun Returns faces I tried, but it doesn't matter much I guess.

5anitybane

5anitybane

Windscythe of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 32 posts

I'd love painted portraits akin to Baldur's Gate 2, I think the artistic feel adds a lot more to the style of the GUI and the game in general, since they're traditionally similar to pen and paper RPGs (or, in the case of BG and NWN, using actual DnD rulesets).

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts

I voted for BG style.  Not only do I like them, I think it also adds the option for more creativity as far as modding goes.  One fun thing about BG2 was the ability to make a new portrait and import it into the game.

• 5anitybane likes this

5anitybane

5anitybane

Windscythe of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 32 posts

I voted for BG style.  Not only do I like them, I think it also adds the option for more creativity as far as modding goes.  One fun thing about BG2 was the ability to make a new portrait and import it into the game.

So true regarding modding! I'd forgotten about importing portraits because I never made my own; I can't draw, only matte paint, :(. Given the amazing talent on the web I wouldn't be surprised upon release to find a fair few portrait replacers or add-ons.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^you can also crop and shrink images to the right dimensions easily enough with a free program like GIMP

So if you find a cool character you like on the web you can just download the pic (for personal use) and adjust it for use in PoE.

Raistlin82

Raistlin82

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Icewind Dale > Neverwinter Nights > Baldur's Gate

The art style of IWD's portraits was just too much better.
Almost poetic in its beauty.

NoTra

NoTra

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Hi ! 

I clearly prefers BG portraits style. Artists drawings cannot be beat by 3D models.

For the record, I created a tool, to crop et create portrait for Baldur's Gate, so may be you'll find this tool useful :

http://www.notra.fr/portrait.php

It's in french but I think it's simple enough to be understand.

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

^you can also crop and shrink images to the right dimensions easily enough with a free program like GIMP

So if you find a cool character you like on the web you can just download the pic (for personal use) and adjust it for use in PoE.

That may hurt immersion somewhat though if the picture is in a very different style.

I know it's important, for nostalgia purposes, to have 2d paintings - and granted, some of them do look really nice. But surely it's equally important for your character to look like you think he/she should look?

Yeah they do look nice. Its close to as important, but I believe its easily enough to be able to achieve that to simply have many many many different painted BG2 style portraits to choose from, the more the merrier. Especially if the artists doing them dont get creatively "tired" in the meanwhile and star making their newer portraits alot like the old ones without realizing it  ;)

Edited by Sheikh, 31 October 2014 - 02:14 AM.

prodigydancer

prodigydancer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 435 posts

3D model snapshot portraits always look terrible. I don't mind them being an option (like in WL2) but that would be an option I'd never use.

Edited by prodigydancer, 02 November 2014 - 02:56 AM.

Moirnelithe

Moirnelithe

Mascot of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

2D portraits please, because I think the 3D models in PoE are extremely hit-by-a-truck type of ugly (female elves especially).

vv221

vv221

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No need to worry, it’s already clear that Obsidian has decided to follow the right way: beautiful hand-drawn 2D portraits for everyone!

• Lephys likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users