Multi-monitor Support

There are now more and more people using computers with multiple monitors, especially because of the proven benefits to productivity and to ease of use to the user.

However, the gaming industry often treats multiple monitor support as an afterthought, if they even support it at all. This is of course understandable, especially when multiple monitors were first starting to become popular. Why waste developmental resources to design and create something that most users could (or would) never use? However, those gamers that did have multiple monitors didn't want to waste the extra screen they had, which lead to demanding (or using workarounds) to play games in windowed mode, so they they could easily switch to an internet browser or another program in the middle of their game to do something else and multitask. They could be chatting with friends on an IM program, or have the other screen open to an FAQ of they game they are currently playing.

However, there are some genre of games that have used multiple monitors to great effect. Flight simulators, racing games, even some FPS that use extra monitors to increase the field of view of the player. RTS games like Supreme Commander or World in Conflict use the secondary monitor as an additional and larger mini-map to help the player keep track of their units on the map.

So here's the question. Do you have any ideas for how role playing games, isometric, full 3d or otherwise could incorporate multiple monitor support in a way that could benefit the player? Or are RPGs as a genre a type of game that doesn't really benefit from multiple monitors in any way?

I use a multi-monitor configuration for work all the time, and it's great to be able to move GIS tools out of the way of my main viewing window, but maybe it's my lack of imagination, but I really don't see how it would help in a game like this?

Even if you moved all of the UI elements out of the main view, that would still suck because you'd just be doing more mouse movement (although I tend to use a lot of hotkeys). Assuming there's a fog of war around your characters (and I'd argue that there should be) you're just going to have a lot of empty environmental space to look at on the fringe of the real gameplay.

I don't know ... I'm stumped.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if I could have say the inventory screen or journal always open on a secondary monitor.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

I think working on supporting it would take away from other things too much. I also haven't a clue how you could make good use of the other monitor. And if you do something like having the inventory constantly open, isn't that just going to end up burning the screen, since it's a more or less static image?

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

Just support a decent windowed mode that can be at non-standard resolutions along with free movable windows in the game (ie, most menus and windows can be unlocked and moved by the end user). For example, I have triple 1920x1080 monitors, and I might want to have the game spanning two monitors in a window, or possibly all three. If they allow for the user to enter a custom resolution and then move their UI elements around, then the user can match it to what ever configuration they want. In theory it wouldn't be all that difficult as long as they didn't have too many elements that try to stretch and fill the entire screen.

And if you do something like having the inventory constantly open, isn't that just going to end up burning the screen, since it's a more or less static image?

Only if you're using an old plasma screen as a monitor.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

I do like the idea of multi screen support, but I can't picture the 2nd monitor doing much more than a support role either such as what's been already described. Inventory, journal, current map, a history of text/damage/whatever messages, etc...

But then there's issues with different resolutions between monitors, and being able to support all those weird cases... plus what if you like having your 2nd monitor vertical instead of horizontal, how would that affect things, etc.. etc..

There are more people using multiple monitors, sure, but it's still a very small market and I'm not sure if it's worth trying to figure out how to support it for a game that wouldn't necessarily benefit from it. It's not like an RTS (SupCom, TA, etc...), where it's definitely a huge help if you have it.