So, the news that there was going to be an in game pet got me thinking. Why would you just have one, non functional, in game pet? Why couldn't there be a variety of pets. Let me explain.

Normally, when you say "pet" in an RPG fashion you think of an animal companion as in D&D, Drizzt, etc. However there are other types of animal companions, purely functional in non combat scenarios, that could be added. An entire class in fact.

You could have a hawk that, well, hawks your stuff. Maybe you come upon him as a messenger hawk from some mountain aerie outpost and recieve him as a quest reward. You can then send him out with stuff attached, and he'll bring back money in exchange. A tidbit silly maybe, but maybe he's a giant friggen hawk.

Maybe a ferret type thing that wanders around and points at hidden stuff (traps, doors, a hiddent containter). Or even a dog like Fabe 2.

There is of course, the donkey, from the Dungeon Siege games. A pack animal for extra inventory space.

Or familiars, that grant bonus stats but can be targeted and killed.

Point being, if there's enough time and resources, an entire class of small animal companions that do useful things could be created. Though personally I'd love to see them not just granted for some character class and chosen from a list. I'd love to see them require to be found in the world and earned, and even the ability that grants them to a class be something you actually have to make a tradeoff for, get a pet or get some knockdown attack for example.

I'd think that would make them more special, and you might attach yourself more to them. If you had to earn that ability, and give up something. If you had to find that ferret, injured in the forest, and rescue him; you'd probably be a lot more personally attached than picking from a random list at a defined level like Neverwinter Nights did.

A giant chipmunk...

enhanced-buzz-14975-1245182447-18.jpg

...that steals your enemy's nuts...

...hey, get your mind out of the gutter!

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Frenetic Pony, interesting idea about familiars! Preferably small pets that can do small tasks for you. Hey, one-trick ponies, perhaps? ;)

I mean it, like a specially bred and trained fantasy ferret that does have a little skill in open locks, for instance.

And who can say no to a pseudodragon?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would like a choice of pet, several different kinds. I loved the pet you could get in Planescape/Torment and I loved DOG in Arcanum although he wasn't really a pet. A really good warrior. Don't remember the name of the pet in PS/T but it fought too. AI would like a pet that is functional, that you can play with, talk too, feed that maybe does fight for you or steal things for you. :w00t::cat:

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I would like a choice of pet, several different kinds. I loved the pet you could get in Planescape/Torment and I loved DOG in Arcanum although he wasn't really a pet. A really good warrior. Don't remember the name of the pet in PS/T but it fought too. AI would like a pet that is functional, that you can play with, talk too, feed that maybe does fight for you or steal things for you. :w00t::cat:

A lim-lim!

I'd like something specifically from the world like the lim-lim was.

Edited by Shades
  • Like 1

Familiars are a classic element of RPGs that I would hate to see omitted from P:E. As a DM I always preferred that the party had at least one familiar or companion animal along that I could co-opt as needed to relay in-game information to the party without having to break in on a meta-level and thus spoil the mood. D&D 3.X familars and companion animals (F/ACs) are a good starting point, but I'd like to see more natural animal abilities included.

For example, if my F/AC has a good nose, then we ought to get some warning when a bunch of smelly ogres are approaching the party from upwind. Birds are natural aerial scouts, of course, and could be used in conjunction with a cool down period to do just that. This sort of thing, along with play and possible oddball or humerous observations, behaviors, and inter-species misunderstandings can really liven up intra-party interactions.

Bottom line, I very much enjoy having F/ACs along in a party and my fingers are crossed that they'll be an option for us.

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I am going to assume more the Torchlight way of pets. But we'll see.

Obviously agreeing having multiple options (lynx!) and making some of them "unlock" in the world by saving, or buying, or summoning, or whatever would be good.

Could also decorate your house.

Personal desire would have me seperate the boon from the animal/being/thingy type though. Maybe have it learned? This to not make your favorite pet a bad choice just cause it's boost isn't the most useful to you. That way you can have the "skin" you want (just like your own characters looks) and still the bonus you're looking for. Of course bonusses shouldn't be easy to acquire, and preferably permanent choices. No turning back...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Though personally I'd love to see them not just granted for some character class and chosen from a list. I'd love to see them require to be found in the world and earned, and even the ability that grants them to a class be something you actually have to make a tradeoff for, get a pet or get some knockdown attack for example.

I'd think that would make them more special, and you might attach yourself more to them. If you had to earn that ability, and give up something. If you had to find that ferret, injured in the forest, and rescue him; you'd probably be a lot more personally attached than picking from a random list at a defined level like Neverwinter Nights did.

I'd rather not have to go searching half the game to find the one F/AC my wizard or druid is interested in bonding as a F/AC. It might not be as emotionally satisfying for some folks, but I'd rather start my characters off with the F/AC that matches my concept of the character in question.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

Though personally I'd love to see them not just granted for some character class and chosen from a list. I'd love to see them require to be found in the world and earned, and even the ability that grants them to a class be something you actually have to make a tradeoff for, get a pet or get some knockdown attack for example.

I'd rather not have to go searching half the game to find the one F/AC my wizard or druid is interested in bonding as a F/AC. It might not be as emotionally satisfying for some folks, but I'd rather start my characters off with the F/AC that matches my concept of the character in question.

How bout you get one to start but can find rarer specimens throughout the world.

Taming would be awesome! Pet giant spider, oh yeah...

• Like 1

How bout you get one to start but can find rarer specimens throughout the world.

Taming would be awesome! Pet giant spider, oh yeah...

That would be perfectly acceptable. Improved familiars go all the way back to AD&D and they offer the PC yet another choice. And choices are most often a good thing for players. :thumbsup: