Avoiding buggy release / cut content

Pretty much every game which Obsidian has released has had

a) A large amount of 'cut' content

b) A large amount of bugs

I'm not worried at all because we are the backers NO PIMPS pushing them to cut things from the game to make a release date. I love the fact that Obsidian can talk to us about anything they want to. They are not handcuffed on what they can say. I always hate when developers say we can't talk about that right now,but it is coming soon !

Not having a publisher will not necessarily be a good thing, but it's better than a publisher that'd rush the deadline. Depends on things.

There needs to be someone who says "ok, we'll need to wrap it up now so we'll have money left to do the QA". Cut content if necessary.

And it's a hard choice deciding you can't make the Player House afterall, despite publicly saying you would.

But there's a risk of having everything in the game that was promised, and lots of more cool stuff that came along the way.

But not having resources left to patch the thing up to a playable degree. Then you're left trying to get more funds through sales,

to be able to make the patches, but that's not going to be all easy with all the reviews calling the game unfinished.

And your rant does what for this topic?

You said nothing different than your previous post, if it is how you feel and you do not trust Obsidian, then you should not be here.

What?

You said that "permission" from a Publisher was the reason that games don't get patched.

I said - that's essentially untrue, as the "permission" is the withholding of funds the devs need to do the work.

That's just reality. It doesn't mean I don't "trust" Obsidian - whatever that even means.

It's also a reality that this could be an issue in production of this game, unless Obsidian budget for a months extra coding time after release to fix stuff up.

You are wrong in this one. If patching was an issue of money they would've 100% surely made it on their own.

BUT, as we know it, Obsidian doesn't own any of the games they make. All are property of the publishers and it really isn't their call if they can patch those games or not. Publisher needs to run the QA for patch and approve it (they can't trust blindly in developers in this, can they?) and if they want to release it on consoles too, things get even more complicated because console manufacturers want to run their own QA and that definitively cannot be done without publishers call.

And yes, they have said they are putting money aside to ensure that we will have the quality product we paid for. Maybe you should follow updates more closely before making assumptions.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Even if the publishers are to at fault, I don't think Obsidian are blameless. Not if it happens for almost every single game.

If nothing else, they've probably picked it up as a bad habit at this point.

So anyway, that's why I made this thread. I'm hoping that if there haven't realized it themselves, they'll read this thread and consider it.

Not having a publisher will not necessarily be a good thing, but it's better than a publisher that'd rush the deadline. Depends on things.

There needs to be someone who says "ok, we'll need to wrap it up now so we'll have money left to do the QA". Cut content if necessary.

And it's a hard choice deciding you can't make the Player House afterall, despite publicly saying you would.

But there's a risk of having everything in the game that was promised, and lots of more cool stuff that came along the way.

But not having resources left to patch the thing up to a playable degree. Then you're left trying to get more funds through sales,

to be able to make the patches, but that's not going to be all easy with all the reviews calling the game unfinished.

Oh god... most video game development studios use the waterfall model don't they? I wasn't even considering that.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

I think this game will be great, but i see a worrying trend. Trying to do too much and incorporate too many ideras. Things like this tend to add to the bugginess. They need a captain that runs a tight ship.

Im old enough to remember that games like fallout, arcanum and toee were quite buggy at release.( i bought them all on the release days:). I even had a gamebreaking bug in planescape. I didnt finish the game until years later beacuse the bug had put me off playing it. Thats why im not a really big fan of that game.

So. Save upp a few 100Ks to test the game properly and skip on some ideas.

Edited by betongborr