Would you want a new Infinity Engine game?

Would you want a new Infinity Engine game?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a new Infinity Engine game using AD&D ruleset like BG, IWD or PST, would you want it?

• More old school fun? Here I come and the hells come with me!
    • Only if it had the people making it that made the old games.
    • They'd have to update it up a little... or a lot.
    • Eh, technology has progressed, gimme something new. Oh wait, they are.

As it happens, I (and probably many others) have the possibility of playing a totally new IE game.

In my case it's Arcanum. I've begun it once, but couldn't get over the mental adjustment phase getting of into the mood.

Begun again, but I seem to be trailing off.

Played Torment for the first time a year ago (or few years? when it came to gog anyway), took effort but was rewarding.

Hated the combat all the way through.

I'd played BG2 maybe 5 years ago, but had given up on BG1. Finished the first part last year, almost completely not fun.

Actually I played none of the ie games back then, started on them around 2005 or thereabouts.

Of the "classics" Fallout 2 is the only one I still enjoy playing, Temple of Elemental Evil as well but that's not ie.

No. I want more modern stuff. At least a bit more. NWN was great 5 yrs ago, but was spoiled a little by NWN2.

I think your mixing up your engines here, or you just worded your post a bit poorly. Arcanum was not an IE game and neither was Fallout 2.

Infinity engine

- Baldur's Gate + expansion

- Baldur's Gate II + expansion

- Icewind Dale + expansions

- Icewind Dale II

- Planescape: Torment

Fallout engine

- Fallout 1

- Fallout 2

Phoenix engine

- Fallout Tactics

Arcanum engine

- Arcanum

- Temple of Elemental Evil

As for the OP's question -- I think I'd prefer projects like Eternity and Wasteland 2, that take the 2D isometric graphics style and the strongest gameplay elements of these games and use them as a basis and inspiration for new games in modern engines. Technology has developed a lot since the late 90's / early 00's and I think using the IE or another old engine would just limit them and create a lot of extra work to improve compatibility, high resolution support, etc.

Both Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are using the Unity engine btw -- so I guess that makes this the start of the Unity engine era 8)

Edited by Lorfean
  • Like 1

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

THAC0 needs to die in a fire, have it's ashes shoveled into a lead box and pissed upon, the box sealed, and dumped into the Marianas trench. As for the IE, there's a reason FORTRAN isn't widely used anymore.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I think your mixing up your engines here, or you just worded your post a bit poorly.

Yeah, mixing up engines.

Arcanum and ToEE are made with the same engine? That's just.. WOW.

Arcanum looks just the same as IE games, only not as good, while ToEE is still good looking as hell.

And I did think Fallout 1&2 would have been IE as well (but I did know tactics had a new engine, and a pretty good one at that).

Arcanum and ToEE are made with the same engine? That's just.. WOW.

Heh. Yeah, I know. Heavily improved of course, but still the same engine. I believe they developed it in-house and those are the only two games ever made with it. But the ToEE version of that engine is pretty impressive -- beautiful graphics and a great turn-based combat system. I never finished that game (some day) but would've loved to see more CRPG's made with the engine.

It seems Co8's Keep on the Borderlands total conversion project has officially been declared inactive for now :(

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

There is nothing inherent in the Infinity Engine that makes me want to see it again. The thing about the IE was that it was good at the time, and it (now) represents an era of a certain type of games. But there is nothing about the engine specifically that would make me excited to see it return. There are better engines and there is nothing stopping you from bringing back a similar feel on more modern and updated engines.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0