The topic of the class system has been on my mind given how update 7 actually significantly changes the traditional structure of the DnD system, and given that this system has more classes than many other RPGs(I think we're now at 7), I think that the topic of classes would be a really interesting one to explore, especially given how it touches issues of the magical system.

The way that update 7 changes things is that it abolishes the skill-monkey class while keeping the skills, which is a really cool thing. I just want to bounce ideas around though, and I hope I'm not repeating too much that's been said.

Here's some ideas for conceiving of a possible set of classes:

* 2 or 3 core magic classes(I've thrown around ideas in another thread on magic) http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60372-vancian-magic-system/page__st__160?do=findComment&comment=1203875 DarkWaterSong did similarly above me.

* Brute (in DnD terms: fighter, barbarian.) Heavy armor, heavy weapons, high strength and constitution build.

* Monk (in DnD/NWN2 terms: monk, weaponmaster, swashbuckler/duelist, maybe some paladin features.) None to medium armor. None to medium weapons. Build uses dexterity and some vaguely magical stat. Special talents focus on high skill or magical attunement, and perhaps a lot of surprises. Conceptually a martial artist.

* Magic Knight (In DnD terms: Eldritch Knight, sort of like a Paladin or Ranger, but less nerfed on magic.) Light armor, but maybe heavy given the backstory. Any weapon. spellcaster/warrior with some of both sets of abilities. May not be needed if multiclassing and magic system set up a certain way

* Assassin (In DnD terms: Thug variant fighter, rogue/fighter, etc.) Light-Medium armor. Light to medium weapon. Focus on misdirection, high damage precision, possibly ranged attacks, poison, invisibility, finesse. Build uses very high dexterity.

* Bard (in DnD terms: Bard.) Light-medium armor. Light-medium weapons. Support class. Focus on misdirection, buffing, information, ranged support, perhaps some magic.

Just some thoughts, but feel free to throw things around or criticize. The point is getting what kind of conceptions people would think would be interesting for a class system. Like the degree of magic for classes. How bizarre or conventional the classes should be. Etc.

Those are all fine and well but they have been a bit overused I think, your basic cliche specializations that have been around forever. I would not mind them but I rather they reinvent the classes and explore new grounds. Perhaps a class that is half mage, half rogue....a stealth mage I guess, someone that can get really good at infiltrating and striking from the shadows but instead of traps, daggers and arrows there would be an array mage powers specific to that class.

That's just an idea, there are plenty of other more creative ways when going about class specializations than your basic rogue, mage, warrior and going about the age old paths of templar knight, staff&robes&beard&hat mage and your quicknife/arrow sniper rogue.

This is a new ip, new world and completely new lore so it really shouldn't feel like a remake of the old.

1zq6793.jpg

Those are all fine and well but they have been a bit overused I think, your basic cliche specializations that have been around forever. I would not mind them but I rather they reinvent the classes and explore new grounds. Perhaps a class that is half mage, half rogue....a stealth mage I guess, someone that can get really good at infiltrating and striking from the shadows but instead of traps, daggers and arrows there would be an array mage powers specific to that class.

Basically a Nightblade or Arcane Trickster?

Pretty much almost any RPG class you can think of is a cliche because it's been done before.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Basically a Nightblade or Arcane Trickster?

Pretty much almost any RPG class you can think of is a cliche because it's been done before.

Some have been done a whole lot more than others. Your templar, classic mage and quickblade have been done to death. Beyond that creativity can also come in the form of powers and abilities. There's plenty of room for innovation.

1zq6793.jpg

classes are well and good but i kinda don't want to be limited by them...

why is it that my fighter can't learn lock picking again? anybody?

If my fighter has nimble fingers and is plenty dextrous whose to say he can't learn a useful skill from a street thief?

its little things like that that irk me about rigid classes.

• Like 1

No classes. Period. Let it be up to the player from day one what he/she wants to make the guy/gal. Maybe "tag" a couple specific skill sets like in Fallout and maybe add some perks based off of Racial traits and benefits but I think that should be as far as it should go. And fundamentally thats all based on choice of gamer. The rest should be left to the player and will be decided how the game progresses and how the player wants to actually play the game.

• Like 1

Nick B

"YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY" - Oregon Trail

I've talked about this in another thread, but this one is actually a bit more on target for the discussion I wanted to have anyway so I'll relocate over here.

Basically, I propose that class be more of a social issue, albeit one with certain mechanical perks. Basically the world would have several instutions that would be capable of bestowing a class on the characters in the party, and each would have requirements, both for known skills and for public acts, for acceptance (in other words you have to be good at certain things to qualify, and you need to do things that they like). The organization would then provide training and perhaps one or two extra abilities and/or equiptment in exhange for you doing tasks for them. These quests would be in no way required, and in fact you could potentially play the entire game classlessly, albeit with fewer perls (not in the FO sense, necessarily, but that might actually work), but also with fewer limits on your actions and/or requests from your patron.

The topic of the class system has been on my mind given how update 7 actually significantly changes the traditional structure of the DnD system, and given that this system has more classes than many other RPGs(I think we're now at 7), I think that the topic of classes would be a really interesting one to explore, especially given how it touches issues of the magical system.

The way that update 7 changes things is that it abolishes the skill-monkey class while keeping the skills, which is a really cool thing. I just want to bounce ideas around though, and I hope I'm not repeating too much that's been said.

Here's some ideas for conceiving of a possible set of classes:

* 2 or 3 core magic classes(I've thrown around ideas in another thread on magic) http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1203875 DarkWaterSong did similarly above me.

* Brute (in DnD terms: fighter, barbarian.) Heavy armor, heavy weapons, high strength and constitution build.

* Monk (in DnD/NWN2 terms: monk, weaponmaster, swashbuckler/duelist, maybe some paladin features.) None to medium armor. None to medium weapons. Build uses dexterity and some vaguely magical stat. Special talents focus on high skill or magical attunement, and perhaps a lot of surprises. Conceptually a martial artist.

* Magic Knight (In DnD terms: Eldritch Knight, sort of like a Paladin or Ranger, but less nerfed on magic.) Light armor, but maybe heavy given the backstory. Any weapon. spellcaster/warrior with some of both sets of abilities. May not be needed if multiclassing and magic system set up a certain way

* Assassin (In DnD terms: Thug variant fighter, rogue/fighter, etc.) Light-Medium armor. Light to medium weapon. Focus on misdirection, high damage precision, possibly ranged attacks, poison, invisibility, finesse. Build uses very high dexterity.

* Bard (in DnD terms: Bard.) Light-medium armor. Light-medium weapons. Support class. Focus on misdirection, buffing, information, ranged support, perhaps some magic.

Just some thoughts, but feel free to throw things around or criticize. The point is getting what kind of conceptions people would think would be interesting for a class system. Like the degree of magic for classes. How bizarre or conventional the classes should be. Etc.

I would prefer to have a more warrior-oriented ranged class somewhere in there rather than relying only on rogue-type characters for archers/gunmen.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love playing bard, though every game seems to have a different idea of what bards do. Personally, I tend to like ones that actually involve singing, not "thief that carries a lute." (How did Bard become synonymous with Thief, anyway? I blame the fact that both were the skillmonkeys in D&D...)

The idea of a stealthy mage sounds awesome. Yes, its been done, but its not frequent, and its a cool combo.

I do like classes that summon things, too. Often times those things are necromancers and demons, (with the exception of final fantasy). Having a summoning class would be sweet. Especially if it was like an old school FF where you had to beat the crap out of a summon and win it. (Is that a thing still? I haven't played FF series for a while.) And since the game has an emphasis on both a non combat and combat way through things, not having many (or any) strong attacks of your own wouldn't be as big a flaw.

A priest class with a focus on doing things like the blessing a graveyard to stop mobs from spawning like they mentioned in the noncombat skills update would also be pretty sweet. (Holy crap! Priests doing priest things! More of that, please!)

(Personally, I do like games without classes, but as this is not one of them, better to debate about what classes are interesting. (Though the idea of making them less restrictive is cool, it might also be more difficult to impliment.)

Edit:

Having some sort of summoner/blue mage inspired thing where you kill special mobs to take certain powers from them would also be pretty awesome. Especially if it meant taking some sort of "war form" made from it. Even if it were only an animal. I think I might just like shapeshifting though :p

Edited by AuroraDragonKaya

Well we only know that there are classes, not what form they will take, or whether the PC will have to choose one at creation or not. I admit that, most likely, they will; I'm even ok with it. I just figure I'd throw in a suggestion of how I'd like to see it done, just in case they're paying attention, heh.

The worst possible thing they can do with classes (besides locking them to a certain mindset/morals) is to lock them into a certain stereotypical fighting style and putting up weapon restrictions.

Why must a ranger always be sterotyped into using a bow or forced to dualwield? Who says spellcasters can only use staves or daggers?

And why must we be severely punished by disproportional costs should we ever dare to be creative?

Edited by Knott
  • Like 2
ObsidianOrder_Viking_125px.png