Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How close are you and your cup of tea? (Protagonist - Antagonist Relationship Thread)

Protagonist Antagonist Relationship

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Protagonist-Antagonist Relationship (44 member(s) have cast votes)

My Favorite Antagonist is actually my Protagonist's...

1. boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse, partners (ex-partners goes here) (6 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. parents, uncles, or aunts (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. grandparents, grand uncles, or grand aunts (0 votes [0.00%])

4. siblings or cousins (3 votes [6.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

5. nephew, niece, or child. (grandchild and other varieties goes here) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. classmates, workmates, or neighbors (2 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

7. Fellow residents. We live in the same city/country. (International relationships goes here too) (3 votes [6.82%] - View)

8. Village chief, Emperor, Queen, or other Authorities. (International Authorities goes here too) (9 votes [20.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

9. Deities (4 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

10. own self (17 votes [38.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.64%

And we...

1. ...don't even know each other, until we crossed path. (16 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. ...met once or twice. We rarely speak, so we don't care to each other, until we crossed path. (0 votes [0.00%])

3. ...know each other. We seem to get along. (3 votes [6.82%] - View)

4. ...know each other. But we don't really click. (0 votes [0.00%])

5. ...are quite close. We are good friends, after all :) (4 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. ...are quite close! Oh who are we kidding, we don't like each other. (2 votes [4.55%] - View)

7. ...are very close! We are best friends forever. (0 votes [0.00%])

8. ...are very close... to each other fists. (2 votes [4.55%] - View)

9. ...are inseparable! We trust our life to each other. (10 votes [22.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

10. ...are inseparable! We swore to destroy each other. (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

exodiark

exodiark

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Another cup of tea thread! This time it's about relationship between you and your favorite oppositions.

If your choice is not included and/or if your relationship is one-sided, feel free to comment :)

Nteger

Nteger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've always wanted to play someone who is the hero's best friend and comrade, always overshadowed because he's not "special" (think Eolis and Hercules). Then they end up on opposing sides. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion or maybe they have no control over it. Or maybe the hero just loses his mind or becomes corrupted and the PC has to stop him. Either way, I'd prefer if the "hero" is the main antagonist, but not the ultimate enemy (think Saren and the Reapers).

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4153 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hummmmm, I couldn't decide nor would I want to (as a player). Depends entirly on what story you want to tell and which themes and ideas you want to bring across.

Of course, as a player I want to be able to manipulate that relationship as I see fit.

Edit: On that note. Are you asking this question from the players or writers/game developers perspective?

Edited by C2B, 21 September 2012 - 09:00 AM.

• timobkg likes this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11001 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I fondly remember Suikoden II for the antagonist-protagonist relationship.

However, I can not in good conscious vote here. This is one of those things I don't want to influence Obsidian's writing choice on in the slightest. The relationship they choose to explore in this capacity is likely one of the ones they have their greatest amount of vested interest.

alphyna

alphyna

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
My favourite antagonist is nonexistant since my favourite protagonist deals with a complex set of problems and characters which are not flat. None of them are the Source of All Evil, and my character is intelligent enough to see it and not just pin all blame on one antagonist.

Kilroy_Was_Here

Kilroy_Was_Here

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked the relationship (don't laugh) in Metal Gear Solid 3 between Snake and Ocelot. After they first fought and Snake easily beat him, Ocelot spent the rest of the game trying to improve himself in order to gain defeat Snake and gain his respect.

Spoiler

This leads to a remarkably tenacious antagonist who constantly seeks to prove himself against you. Even should the world be torn asunder, a character like that is still compelled to seek you out for one last challenge, if only out of pride.

Edited by Kilroy_Was_Here, 21 September 2012 - 09:19 PM.

• silvercross likes this

silvercross

silvercross

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I find antagonists with a close relationship to the protagonist the most interesting (discounting himself/herself since that kind of dynamic is different). Antagonists are often portrayed as individuals/entities that come from some distant "evil" motive or are rather far removed from the protagonist.

This is not necessarily a suggestion to Obsidian, but I always wonder about under what situation, a close friend, relative, or even a lover, that you trust with your life and perhaps known most of your life, would turn against you.

tilly

tilly

Scout of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
:D lots of tea parties

EDIT - voted for friends, not foes X3

Edited by tilly, 21 September 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Grimlorn

Grimlorn

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Another cup of tea thread! This time it's about relationship between you and your favorite oppositions.

If your choice is not included and/or if your relationship is one-sided, feel free to comment :)

Who cares?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Protagonist, Antagonist, Relationship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users