Just how big a game are we talking about here?

I would like to see about 40+ hours of gameplay when the game reaches 3.5 M+ in funding. If a RPG is too short, then u cannot really get into the story and scenario and I think such a game really has to focus on content instead of graphics.

Also the map has a lot of locations, I would be quite sad, if most of those appear just in dialogue or DLCs. But I also am someone that wastes a lot of time searching every corner and talking to everyone (Risen 2 took me 40 hours in first playthrough as well), so I guess I can live with what ever they will produce.

EIGHTY HOURS MINIMUM (INCLUDING ESTIMATED TIME TO READ ALL THE DIALOGUE).

Come on guys. The Witcher 1 was a pretty long game, and that was all voiced. I'm sure you can do it too.

15-20 hours ?? hahaha, that's either coming from a very disillusioned old school cRPG fan or a person who's never played an infinity engine game.

I'm pretty sure The Witcher had big budget and lot more staff members working on it. .

It had a bigger budget ($8 million). But it certainly didn't have a bigger staff than Obsidian. It also didn't have as seasoned a staff as Obsidian- which I think makes a huge difference. Experienced, verteran pros can do more in less time than n00bs.

Edited by Stun

I so much hope it won't be a 50 hours game. I probably will never finish it then, looking at the amount of my spare time. I am fine with 20 hours, especially if there will be a lot choice&consequences involved.

The scale of Fallout 1 would be super fine for me too. Yeah, actually, I totally prefer a size of Fallout 1.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It had a bigger budget ($8 million). But it certainly didn't have a bigger staff than Obsidian. It also didn't have as seasoned a staff as Obsidian- which I think makes a huge difference. Experienced, verteran pros can do more in less time than n00bs.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/witcher/credits

I'm way too lazy to count the unique names from there, but I would say that's more than 20 at least (the number of staff members Obsidian is aiming at).

Hate the living, love the dead.

I don't agree that there should be any set minimum amount of content . Long is good, but it shouldn't be the driving focus in design.

I wouldn't mind exchanging game length for more reactivity to player action (which adds tons of replay value). I'd also like to see the main story to be well paced and gripping, even if that means it might be shorter, rather than artificially dragged out by boring repetition (e.g. the Deep Roads bit in DAO). Having plenty of content and being able to muck about in silly tangents, killing rats in basements and whatnot, is good fun, but that's all secondary fluff.

Basically: well realized story > reactive game world > the amount of actual content on offer.

• Like 2

I think it's going to be huge and the time played might vary between thirty to forty hours outside time spent messing around to get interesting wandering monsters.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Speed through a game is a subjective thing IMHO. Some people are slow players and investigate every nook and cranny; others stick to the primary story line and race to the end.

I think the measurement of Big is the story, the narrative, the immersion. When playing do you imagine you are the PC undertaking a great adventure; you end up dreaming of the adventure, and when playing the real world "disappears". If this happens IMHO the game is Big, whether it takes you 15 hours or 100 hours to finish.

I think Obsidian can make Project Eternity such a Big game :)

Especially since sequels would have to be Kickstarted / self-funded as well, engine overhauls will likely be a small consideration. If they've got the engine they need, and it does what they need it to do, then they should stick with it. Major changes between iterations will probably be game system refinements. This is how it was between Fallouts 1 and 2. I expect the same. And I expect that customers will anticipate a sequel more than they will a mere expansion. That's the reason why Dragon Age 2 was not called Dragon Age: Kirkwall, as it probably should have been.

Beyond that, if a game closes out a story and leaves room for a new one, it calls for a sequel. If it closes out an act of a story, it calls for an expansion.

The length of the game will depend on how the player plays the game. Some will rush through the main quest others will take their time and explore every nook and cranny. In this day and age a budget of 2.5 mil is not a lot.

Yep, quality > quantity. Although I would like a quantity of quality quests.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg