Should Warrior classes be able to "taunt" enemies?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should a taunt ability be an option for warrior classes in project Eternity?

• No! Taunt is an illogical ability that reduces the complexity of combat and destroys immersion etc. (BG series, etc)
    • Yes! Taunt should be included as an ability. It adds diversity to combat and solidifies the role of warriors as tanks. (DAO, WOW etc)
    • Yes, but only if enemies have the same kind of ability (unlike DAO for example)
    • Yes, but only in specific situations where the story calls for it. (Maybe elves hates dwarfs or like when minsc attacks Edwin in BG1)
    • None of the above! (please explain below)

In a lot of recent games, following the success of many MMORPGs, there has been a movement to add more abilities to the warriors arsenal. I think most of us can agree that this is mostly a good thing as we all want as many options as possible (within reason) in combat.

One thing however that atleast i despise in some recent CRPGs (DAO for example) is the inclusion of a "taunt" ability as a cornerstone of combat. I feel that a taunt ability makes no sense at all! Why in all hells would someone attack a heavily armored warrior when there is a mage (artillery) just a few paces away that is going to blast you away if you don't do anything about it?

This is especially frustrating when the enemies lack the same ability, like in DAO. It's lazy design and should not be implemented in a tactical isometric game.

Why not just let the warriors get something like an "attack of oppertunity" (like in D&D) when an enemy tries to move when he is close to a another character? That way it would actually matter how you position your characters in relation to the enviroment.

What do you all think? Am i alone in this sentiment or is this something that should be done away with?

Edited by Flying dutchman

Why in all hells would someone attack a heavily armored warrior when there is a mage (artillery) just a few paces away that is going to blast you away if you don't do anything about it?

Because it's a game? Good luck finding a video game that is 100% realistic and fun at the same time.

And how would enemies having taunt work? Would all your characters suddenly drop their **** and run after the toon that activated taunt? I can't imagine how ridiculously frustrating such a mechanic would be. Lining up a barrage of tactical attacks, only to have them ALL ruined by one silly ability.

I'm in favour of a taunt like ability, but i have to say that concept of prejudicial taunt that you suggested looks extremely fascinating.

Well, in PS:T, Morte's litany of curses was fun to use. And in NWN, taunt was marginally amusing/useful. But since then it's been a mostly MMO mechanic tied to the aggro-control system, which is a heap of illogical garbage. So I'd just as well see it far, far removed from Project Eternity.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

Instead of using taunts, I'm in favor of making attacks of opportunity or attacks from the back deadly. Ignoring the fighter should be suicide.

Likewise, I'd like to see "normal" combat mechanics only apply when fighting 1 on 1.

xx on 1 should incur serious penalties for the defender.

Edited by fan
  • Like 1

NPC combatants taunting a player character should result in a lack of ability to control that character for a short period. Depending on the abilities of characters, their actions while under the effect of a taunt should be quite varied. A fighter might charge and shield slam the the insulter, a mage could polymorph and incinerate him or whatever the classes do.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

It depends on how its handled. As an aggro ability? No. I dislike how threat mechanics trivialize combat in any game I played that includes them. It turns every fight into a cycle of taunt, tank, and rout with the occasional need for healing thrown in. I prefer NWN's take on it. It was a useful debuff--particularly at higher levels, that helped in combat without tempting me to turn off my brain.

• Like 1

An ability like the different "marks" of the DnD 4 defender-type classes is a good idea, I think. It doesn't force characters to do anything, but incurs damage and/or penalties if they attack another target. Which is, in my opinion, quite realistic (after all, a huge armored guy cleaving at you does count as a distraction).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Why not have a "challenge" ability for the warriors, where they can call out high level foes and resolve combat mano a mano (the way John Wayne would have done it,) thereby avoiding mass combat. Make its use limited to once a day, and have its usefulness be mitigated by the risk of facing a mob without your best meat shield by your side, as he's currently near death and will require days of healing and recovery.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!