So how big is the obsidian team working on Project eternity

I think they said the team's size would depend on how much many they'd manage to get.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I would also like to know more about the planned scale. It is difficult to see how the current budget would allow even for the amount of content in the first Baldurs Gate. I understand that the level of Kickstarter funding will affect things, but I'm assuming Obsidian has a rough idea of the intended scope. Are we looking at something on the scale of the BG games? I certainly hope so - for me, the vastness and variety of the world is one of the most compelling elements of a great old-school RPG.

If we reach $1,400,000, I hear J.E. Sawyer's cats will join in on the development team.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

BG2 was an extraordinary project - it would be difficult for a fully funded AAA game to recreate its scope (though that's mainly because that would use all the latest technologies). Bioware has pretty much said in the past how it was a bit insane and they're not sure how it worked either.

I think the size of BG1 - which isn't too far from all the other IE games (IWD1/2, PST) - could be hoped for, since we're likely to go past 2 million at least.

BG2 was an extraordinary project - it would be difficult for a fully funded AAA game to recreate its scope (though that's mainly because that would use all the latest technologies). Bioware has pretty much said in the past how it was a bit insane and they're not sure how it worked either.

But I do wonder if the game's content won't actually be more than the more realistic (or pessimistic) or us are willing to expect. I'm no game developer, but I've read more than a few opinion pieces about how technology, middleware and stuff, also brings the costs down.

Edited by Delterius

It's not linear. In some cases tech and tools bring the costs down - e.g. creating an exact copy of BG2 would cost a lot less today. However, in other cases, newer technology exponentially increases the labour required - one of the main reasons game development is like a hundred times more expensive than ~15 years ago is because of voice acting, motion capture and 3D art assets.

The thing with Eternity is that it's not going to use all the newest bells and whistles, but it's not going to be exactly the same as using the Infinity Engine again, either. I do expect that they can get much more bang for buck than an AAA game, of course, but that's why they can do it with 1 million plus alpha.

It's not linear. In some cases tech and tools bring the costs down - e.g. creating an exact copy of BG2 would cost a lot less today. However, in other cases, newer technology exponentially increases the labour required - one of the main reasons game development is like a hundred times more expensive than ~15 years ago is because of voice acting, motion capture and 3D art assets.

The thing with Eternity is that it's not going to use all the newest bells and whistles, but it's not going to be exactly the same as using the Infinity Engine again, either. I do expect that they can get much more bang for buck than an AAA game, of course, but that's why they can do it with 1 million plus alpha.

Yes, of course. I should have emphasized that Eternity won't use the latest tech.