Ultimate Guide getting KOTOR 2 patched, fixed and restored with widescreen resolution for Steam/retail

I have written up a guide up on this wiki http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_%E2%80%93_The_Sith_Lords

It lists all the fixes, patches and essential mods for both the Steam and Retail versions of KOTOR 2. It's completely user-editable, so if you discover something new add it in (no account required), or write up here and I'll add it in!

• Like 6

Thanks for that Andytizer. I have a feeling it may come in handy for a number of people pretty soon :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hey Andytizer mate, in your guide for the widescreen fix, it says this:

1) Extract the new swkotor2.exe mss32.dll files, replacing the files in the game directory.

However, when I downloaded the Squizzy's resolution patcher, there was only the patcher and swkotor2.exe inside it. Unless I'm a complete idiot and am missing something, where is the mss32.dll?

Cheers

Hey Andytizer mate, in your guide for the widescreen fix, it says this:

1) Extract the new swkotor2.exe mss32.dll files, replacing the files in the game directory.

However, when I downloaded the Squizzy's resolution patcher, there was only the patcher and swkotor2.exe inside it. Unless I'm a complete idiot and am missing something, where is the mss32.dll?

Cheers

Sorry this was my mistake, I was confusing myself with instructions taken from the WSGF page. No MSS32.dll is required (unless installing from the retail version, the MSS32.DLL is the 'Windows 7' fix file.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, so to allow me to play it on 1366x768 with a fixed minimap for the Steam version, disregarding the other mods, I need to install Squizzy, then UniWS and then the minimap fix? I'm a bit confused.

Also, would someone be able to explain the installation process for the Save Game Editor for the steam version in layman's terms, please?

Cheers,

Ape_Style

EDIT: Please disregard the widescreen question; upon rereading the article I now understand the process.

Edited by Ape_Style

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

Actually, I can't seem to get the widescreen to work at all. I ran squizzy, but the game still runs in it's initial resolution (800x600 or something). I then tried UniWS, it doesn't work for me; the custom resolution boxes and the the patch button won't respond and when I click find it for me, it searches for a bit then freezes (educated guess says upon coming across the game folder) for a while then informs me that it can't find the game. I'm using the Steam version of the game.

Edited by Ape_Style

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

• 1 month later...

Actually, I can't seem to get the widescreen to work at all. I ran squizzy, but the game still runs in it's initial resolution (800x600 or something). I then tried UniWS, it doesn't work for me; the custom resolution boxes and the the patch button won't respond and when I click find it for me, it searches for a bit then freezes (educated guess says upon coming across the game folder) for a while then informs me that it can't find the game. I'm using the Steam version of the game.

You shouldn't be running the squizzy patch - you're only using the EXE to run UniWS on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're having problems with it crashing when you try to start a new character, the solution I've found is to play through the prologue. I tried several times to start a new char with skipping the prologue and it would always crash right after you hear "Awaken". And trying to laod the autosave it creates right before that would always result in a crash.

However, when I played through the prologue (rather than skipping it), it kept right on going past that point where it would always crash. 

So, if you're constantly crashing with a new character, try playing the prologue.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

It would be awesome if Obsidian could make KOTOR 2 - Mac OS friendly on steam !! I am a big fan of KOTOR, loved the first game and only ever got to try the first level of the second installment. It runs off the same engine as KOTOR 1 so it shan't be too hard :p!

- Thanks,

Zakk

• 6 months later...

I thought the new Steam version was supposed to support widescreen without additional work. I only see 900p max in the game options. I need 1440p. Plus, the mouse pointer is offset from the screen, so I can't click on the buttons. I created a post on Steam support, but no response yet. What does it take to get this working?

Update: Disable DPI scaling on the property sheet for the game executable. Thanks to avatar.zero @ steam.

Edited by kaborka

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I only have the game on xbox, but I remember that boosting your dark side power can increase strength 1 to 8 for damage strikes with a lightsaber, and light side is better yet, maybe increasing your wisdom by 3 points for counselor rather than marauder altogether, a slightly better benefit for the light, but an assassin over watchman, despite attribute bonuses is far more deadly.

I say this because, from what I've seen on youtube, mods can enhance your character with these kinds of specific "bonuses".

Sorry, hope that helps.

And an acutal awakening from your character in a new universe or context, as dstarfire says, would be awesome, even with a remastered Kotor and such or, worse than anything, how in kotor, full light/dark abilities give you NOTHING, and yet from obsidion, new perks and benefits come like wild fire, except, frankly, Darth Nihilus, by far the best sith lord ever, had an epic part cut out where he compltely rampages his space ship with red blood lines suddenly flying everywhere in cut content where Sion "doesn't need him", and subsequently charges him. But it's just that, Nihilus is the best sith lord, and yet he's sort of a boba fett, epic, and yet, unseen mostly.

Aeons of Misery and Bliss | I, the legendary Dragon God of time, am the perfect One! | Galactic Super Civilizations Yahweh Vs. Lucifer Existential Game - The Terra Program | Ultrarevolutionary Omniversalism

Focusing the flow of feats and Critical Strike

http://aminoapps.com/page/pokemon/5160131/sabrina-character-appreciation

Sabrina StairCase