Researchers use role-playing fantasy video game to treat teen depression

nicethugbert

the link doesn't work for me. But isnt that just escapism?Doesn't seem the healthiest method for treating depression.

Yeah, seems that way to me. If anything, it could make things worse when they're forced to deal with real life outside their "fantasy world". Seems more like masking a problem than dealing with the underlying issue, and resolving that.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you could read the article, you'd discover it's not about just playing "any ol' game". It's a RPG they made especially for their purpose. How effective this truly is in the long run, I couldn't say. (edit) In a way, maybe a bit like Sesame Street teaching kids the alphabet with singing puppets. Lessons integrated into and turned into entertainment?

The result is a role-playing fantasy game, where teenagers adopt a warrior avatar and get to blast negative thoughts with fireballs while trying to save the world from sinking into a mire of pessimism and despair.

[...]

The game has seven levels, each lasting 35-40 minutes

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In my day we didn't hold with such complicated frippery, we just relied on regular appointments with Madam Palm and her five lovely daughters, as well as regular drubbings on the rugger field. Whenever the black dog was on me, one of these two solutions always worked. Or a good smack around the jowels, bracing.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!