The NHL Thread.

Rosbjerg

His contract will still count against the cap for this year, I'm pretty sure. I'm glad the CBA got rid of the burying of contracts in the minors. Make teams accountable for their horrendous decisions.

If anyone is to blame for this fiasco, I'd say it's Glen Sather.

Gomez and Wade Redden can play tonnes of video games with each other online now.

Yup. Gomez will still count against the cap for Montreal this year.

"Desharnais and Plekanec can handle 1C time, Eller can handle 2C. Beyond that you have White, Nokelainen, Leblanc and Galchenyuk."

That's a subpar collection of centers. L0L

"f anyone is to blame for this fiasco, I'd say it's Glen Sather."

Nope. The MTL GM is the one who chose to trade for him knowing he was overpaid. At least when Sather sigend him, he had ever reason to believe he was getting a good player.. and, at least he did manage to score some goals for the Rangers. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Desharnais and Plekanec can handle 1C time, Eller can handle 2C. Beyond that you have White, Nokelainen, Leblanc and Galchenyuk."

That's a subpar collection of centers. L0L

It could certainly be better, but like I said, what they need is a 1C, not another 3C or 4C. Gomez is not that player.

Neither is Nokelainen. He's terrible. Dunno why they signed him instead of bringing Halpern back for another year.

Edited by Deraldin

NHL and the PA have agreed to an "accelerated buyout". Teams can buyout a player before this season, but would be on the hook for the full salary rather than 2/3rds. Gomez and Redden have already been waived in preparation for being bought out, so they'll have a chance to play this year.

I hope Crosby can stay healthy for the full 48 games, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I can't say I've seen much of Gomez since New Jersey used to be in the playoffs every year. Did the game get too fast for him? Did everyone else get that much better?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm glad Gomez at least got to be released so if he wants he can actually play if a team wants him. Same with Redden. No way are there 180 defensemen in the NHL better than Redden.

I'm glad Gomez at least got to be released so if he wants he can actually play if a team wants him. Same with Redden. No way are there 180 defensemen in the NHL better than Redden.

Agreed.

I can't say I've seen much of Gomez since New Jersey used to be in the playoffs every year. Did the game get too fast for him? Did everyone else get that much better?

The problem for Gomez is that his finishing ability completely dried up. He was a good possession player and had no problem lugging the puck into the offensive zone, but then had trouble once it was there. He actually produced more scoring chances than anyone other than Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty, but just couldn't make anything happen with them.

Some analysis of what he brought to the Habs last year:

Do The Canadiens Miss Their Most Useless Player?

Season Review/Preview: Scott Gomez

I entered an online hockey pool this year. With the shortened season we abandoned out usual box draft. The draft itself was lame, but tracking your scores daily has been fun.

Go Oilers!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Wow, the Sharks top line is super hot right now.  Last night I went to bed and they were down 3-1 with about 10 minutes to play, and I wake up to read they won 5-3.

I'm also excited to see Gomez play this weekend.  He's a huge upgrade over Handzus if he ends up centering the 3rd line, and he has the potential to be more than that.  Pretty good bargain for $700k 

I've been impressed by Markov.

Of course, I've been impressed by him for the last 10 years now. He reminds me of a hockey version of Zinedine Zidane.

And, as everyone else in the league, I've been impressed by Marleau, Gaborik and that Russian rookie Tarasenko.

*Disclaimer: I have not actually watched entire games, only the highlights from the NHL channel on Youtube.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

At the pace he's at now, Joe Thornton may very well win the scoring title this year.

I read something before that was like "Thornton and Marleau are on pace for 148 points a piece"

I've always loved Marleau so I'm hoping he'll keep it up. In other news, Martin Broedeur is ageless.

Come on, guys. We all know the players on hot streaks will cool off and those on slow starts will heat up. none of this bullcrap of 149 points or 0-48 and other stupid stuff.

Also, Brodeur isn't ageless. he's just great.