The NHL Thread.

Rosbjerg

Old thread here.

Last post:

Don't know what Brodeur was trying to pull by going to free agency and hiring an agent. Maybe just was curious as to what the rest of the league thought of him? Apparently he's gonna sign a 2 year contract with NJ tomorrow. I don't see this as a bad thing, he's got one more season as a starter and then he'll split the last season as a mentor with a young goalie. Parise sweepstakes should be over by the time I wake up tomorrow, feeling pretty sick about that whole situation. If he goes somewhere in the Atlantic I'll be depressed.

I understand that Parise is a disgustingly good player to have on your team (no one works harder, and he has so much skill), but the contracts I've heard him being offered are ridiculous. 12 years at 80million+? He's just not worth that much. He's coming off a 64 point season. Regardless, I hope the Devils resign him and still think they have a shot. Also, did the Penguins just send a signal to Malkin that they're done if Parise signs? There were rumors that Parise was offered a contract similar to Crosby's and there is just no way they could finance 3 people with 90+ million dollar contracts, which Malkin has obviously more than earned.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, I was confused about what Brodeur was doing too with the whole free agency thing. He has spent his whole career in NJ, and it's not like they have a backup in the system that has been NHL tested. He is as entrenched as anyone.

Definitely some movement so far.

Jagr in Dallas? That could be interesting.

I think Derek Roy will be a good fit for the Stars, too. Sure he's undersized and had an off year, but the kids got game.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Jagr in Dallas? That could be interesting.

I think Derek Roy will be a good fit for the Stars, too. Sure he's undersized and had an off year, but the kids got game.

I guess Jagr really just wanted (needed?) the money at this point. Apparently he wasn't listening to anything under 4.5 million, which is a shame because I think the Devils were in on him.

4.5MIL for someone like JJ is worth it. Any team not willing to pay that for him are undervaluing him. Just look at the yoyos getting paid that much or more. parise is gonna get 7.5-8mil and he had what? 65-70 points?

Still, of all teams.... Dallas? They so ain't making the playoffs. :( Not to mention a completely random choice that came out of nowhere.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I would have been worried about this 10 years ago, but Jagr today isn't going to make Dallas a playoff team. Still, he's probably going to get 50 points or so, which is decent for that contract. I'm surprised if the Stars were the only ones willing to spend that.

I don't really see the money being a big issue. It's one year and done. I can't see Jagr really needing the money. But he's earned every penny of it on reputation alone.

As for Dallas, they'll be another bubble team for a few more years, I think. I still don't think Joe Nieuwendyk has the chops to really put together a playoff team. Their top six looks decent on paper. And old. He and Ray Whitney bring a ton of experience and could really put a few of their young players on the right path.

Edmontons top pick did a kayak thing in development camp after scoring a few goals. It was kinda funny. If my team has another year in the toilet in store (again) it'll at least be entertaining to watch how this kid adjusts to playing with the big boys. I haven't seen much of him aside from clips, but his interview after the world juniors goes down as one of my favorites of the past few years. It's different seeing someone so brighteyed about everything to do with hockey. Full of piss and vineygar, that one is.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

4.5MIL for someone like JJ is worth it. Any team not willing to pay that for him are undervaluing him. Just look at the yoyos getting paid that much or more. parise is gonna get 7.5-8mil and he had what? 65-70 points?

Parise's value goes far beyond points, but I agree that Jagr is worth that kind of money if a team has money to burn. I'm surprised he left the Atlantic actually, I was hoping he'd complete the cycle and come play for NJ (discounting the f**king Islanders because...well, they're the Islanders).

Really a shame he didn't get to Edmonton (which is apparently where he wanted to go) because it would have been great for all those kids up there to play with such a seasoned legend.

Really a shame he didn't get to Edmonton (which is apparently where he wanted to go) because it would have been great for all those kids up there to play with such a seasoned legend.

Edmontons' top six is full of kids who can barely shave. I'm pretty sure Jagr would have not wanted to play on the third line. Lord have mercy if they mess with the all mighty rebuild.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Minnesota for Parise and Suter?!?!?!

WTF!!

I heard Suter was going to the Wild around 4AM last night, figured that meant Parise was going too so it wasn't too much of surprise. Parise is getting 98 million dollars...He isn't worth that much. Had there been one or two other top players in this free agency I don't think he gets over 70.

Yeah, wow, the Wild pulled some big names there. Considering they were a pretty decent team last year, just faded at the end, this lkely makes them a contender. Backstrom is a good goalie, Koivu should enjoy setting up Parise. Definitely a shift in power for the Wild.

If Heatley finds the motivation to play meaningful hockey again I could see the Wild challenging Vancouver for the division.

Was he bad in Minnesota? He was good in San Jose, he honestly just lacks the speed needed to score 50 goals, and it hurts him defensively too. He had 24 last season and I think that is about what you can expect from him.

"Parise's value goes far beyond points"

As does Jagr's.

Heatley played reasonbly well for the Wild but like rest of team just fizzled down the stretch against better teams. Minny gonna be an interesting team this season.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And as usual nothing of note is happening in Leafs land..

Look on the bright side. At least Toronto didn't go out and sign a bunch of bottom 6 forwards and a 3rd pairing defenceman that you don't need.

Nokelainen was brutal for us last year. The only thing he was decent at was faceoffs and even that was only barely above even.

Armstrong I don't particularly care about either way. Low-risk signing on a bare minimum contract. He does help with our depth on the wings which is a bit of a weakness right now.

Prust is meh. I don't mind having him, but he's not worth 4 years/$10 million.

Boullion? If there is one thing that Montreal doesn't need more of, it's 3rd pairing defencemen. Especially ones that have only played more than 70 games twice since the lockout.

I'd rather they brought back Kostitsyn and maybe taken a shot at Radulov. If you really want a veteran defenceman, take a chance with someone like Souray who may be just as injury prone, but at least he can play.

At least Noke, Armstrong and Boullion are only signed for a year each.

Edited by Deraldin

If Heatley finds the motivation to play meaningful hockey again I could see the Wild challenging Vancouver for the division.

Was he bad in Minnesota? He was good in San Jose, he honestly just lacks the speed needed to score 50 goals, and it hurts him defensively too. He had 24 last season and I think that is about what you can expect from him.

I don't think 30+ goals is an unreasonable expectation for Heatley.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I don't think 30+ goals is an unreasonable expectation for Heatley.

He was never a fast skater, and now that he is a little older, it's even harder for him to get space. So 30 is reasonable, but I'd still expect more like 25 from him.