Protect your laptop from Battle Damage

Blarghagh

So, I'm a student who uses his laptop at school. I also happen to live a two hour commute away from that school and have to make this daily trip twice in busses and trains, so there's lots of picking up, putting down, road turbulence, on again off again, etc.

My old laptop is showing the scars of this battle damage, broken hinges, torn plastic, etc. and is due to replacement because it is literally falling apart and held together with duct tape. And it's only about 5 years old. I don't want whatever replacement I'm going to get to suffer as badly and as fast.

So does anyone have any advice about preserving the condition of a laptop in these kinds of conditions?

Laptops today are crappily made, and 5 years is as much as you can expect - even from expensive ones.

The hinges are usually the first to go, even if you don't abuse them. The only thing you can save from damage is the keyboard if you buy a cheap USB one and use it that way at home.

Other than being more careful (which really won't help much) there's nothing you can do.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.