Realtek sound cards

Walsingham

I've been struggling with finding updated drivers for my realtek sound card. I don't knwow if it's just me, but Realtek appear to have adopted the attitude that only a moron would buy a Realtek card and that if I'm ever going to learn from my mistake then I must be forced to wade through hundreds of pages of indecipherable drivel. Much of it in cantonese.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

No auto-identify card. No 'Heres my card. What driver do I need'

I just installed the 'hottest driver' which is mentioned by third parties as complaint with my card. And now no sound is issuing forth at all.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Who buys a sound card these days. On board devices are good enough, unless you use it professionally. Anyway try the rollback driver option in the device manager. Or you could revert to another system state with system restore.

Drivers don't always uninstall like they are supposed to, and sometimes they leave a mess of system files behind.

Just for reference, the last time I visited Asus I clicked one button and a list of all Asus hardware on my computer appears along with software updates.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Thanks for the quick turnaround, Gorgo. I'll give the rollback a try.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Tried to work out how to trollback just one driver, but that failed. Fever making me too irritable. Went for complete system restore to yesterday savepoint. Sound is back.

Still the most appalling clusterfunt. Given how ubiquitous realtek cards are Realtek's support is nothing short of pathetic. I get better support from my _free_ apps.

Not going realtek again if I can help it.

-Elwood Blues

Who buys a sound card these days.

Me. Onboard sound always seems to give programs fits and errors at some point, I usually don't like the sound they produce & I guess I'm still a control freak. I always disable it in BIOS & plonk in a card. I've been kind of disappointed that it's moving away from independent cards so much.

@Walsh - I've never liked RealTek for anything. Sometimes they're adequate technically (tho for me, often not...) but their support is definitely terrible.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm convinced some of my probs with New Vegas are soundcard issues. 50% of the time when it fails and I reload the point it failed on had some stupid bloody sound. Usually more than one sound happening at once. Ever noticed how merchants trades can trigger several noises at once?

-Elwood Blues

If you go to the motherboard website (if its an on board video card) you should be able to pick up drivers for your sound card. But realtek isn't really a great recommended sound card in my opinion you might want to try sound blaster its not like there cards are that expensive what is it like 20 dollars for the 7.1 surround sound card which is a whole lot better then an on board piece of crap...

Good thinking. Maybe I could go in the street and do a little dance. Pick up twenty bucks, easy.

-Elwood Blues

Maybe realtek got the worst homepage ever, but they don't really sell onboard soundcards to the public.. No public kits for adding, screwing, drilling, fusing, wiring or retrofitting a Realtek HD chip to any motherboard..

Check the homepage of the manufacturer of your motherboard to see if they got any updates for your board.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Maybe realtek got the worst homepage ever, but they don't really sell onboard soundcards to the public.. No public kits for adding, screwing, drilling, fusing, wiring or retrofitting a Realtek HD chip to any motherboard..

Check the homepage of the manufacturer of your motherboard to see if they got any updates for your board.

I had been wondering about that. I'll give it a try.

-Elwood Blues

*revolting swearwords*

How do I identify the motherboard type so I can find the drivers?

You'd think ths sort of thing would be easy. But soul-less ****suckers have flooded all the questions boards with links to their malware tastic POS utilities.

-Elwood Blues

The first thing you see during startup is the type and model of the motherboard. Press break so it doesn't dissapear in an instant. You might want to peek in the bios as well. No guarantee you will find it there though, and there is a serial number on the board itself but that's a pain to get to. Only go this route if everything else fails. Various thrid party benchmarking programs will also identify the chipset on your motherboard and (maybe) the correct version number.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.