So in my 2nd run of the game I had Lucas all Mastered in quite a few of his abilities. I'm not sure if he ever uses the Empowered version, however. I originally thought a companion using an Empowered healing would be helpful to the pc character, but so far I don't think he's ever used it.

..but as usual, it's a little hard for me to tell in mid-combat, with all the noises and lightshow going on. But I certainly haven't noticed my hit points increasing when he casts it, so....however I imagine it'd be easier to tell with some other chrs. as companions. For instance, anyone use Anjali as a companion where she Mastered Pillar of Fire, and saw her use the 'wider, fatter' version of it?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So in my 2nd run of the game I had Lucas all Mastered in quite a few of his abilities. I'm not sure if he ever uses the Empowered version, however. I originally thought a companion using an Empowered healing would be helpful to the pc character, but so far I don't think he's ever used it.

..but as usual, it's a little hard for me to tell in mid-combat, with all the noises and lightshow going on. But I certainly haven't noticed my hit points increasing when he casts it, so....however I imagine it'd be easier to tell with some other chrs. as companions. For instance, anyone use Anjali as a companion where she Mastered Pillar of Fire, and saw her use the 'wider, fatter' version of it?

I've seen Katarina, Anjali, and Reinhart all use the Empowered standard attack. By deduction, I want to think they use their Empowered abilities too, but as you say, it's difficult to tell.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I concur with Achilles, they often use their Empowered base attack in combat, but it's harder to say about the others. I think I've seen multiple projectiles come out of Katarina's rifle from time to time, so she must have used Empowered Heartseeking Shot.

Hm. I wonder what dictates when they'll use them, since it does take up two orbs. Not that it matters, I'm just always curious about mechanics like that.

Anyway...it'd be nice to be able to just stand around and watch the action to see stuff like that better. Maybe I can muck with some files so I can get a better clue.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
Hm. I wonder what dictates when they'll use them, since it does take up two orbs.

Not all of them do. Some use one. Some I've not been able to use with only two.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

They do use empowered abilities particularly empowered defensive abilities. I've had Lucas give use his empowered 2nd and 3rd tier defensive abilities to give me a boost during one of the boss fights. They may use the empowered offensive abilities but I've only noticed the defensive ones.