Could have been great....

DS3 is one of "those games" from a dev-team that I absolutely love, and by "those games"... I mean a game that has all the makings of something great and awesome, but fell short. And here is why it is one of "those games" that just fell short.

1) No NEW GAME+... seriously, after building my character/s up as far as I did, with as much love as I did, tweaking and finding what build/s I enjoy.... nothing. That's it just nothing. In this day and age... HELL after ChronoTrigger, I saw NEW GAME+ as a "industry standard" and there are only a few games that don't have some sort of NEW GAME+. For an RPG though.. it's not an excusable feature, it's goddamned required.

2) Some serious balancing issues are present between Katrina and well, all of the other characters. I hate to say that my favorite character is so completely OP I cakewalked her through HARDCORE without saving (outside of town) or dieing once.

3) I really didn't feel like the decisions in the game actually mattered in the long-run. I also felt like the "decisions" weren't mine to make, and that's bad. If it was me I would have told the "Meisters" to eff-off and die and I would have joined the Dapper Gent, that's as vague as I can get but that's the jist...... OF THE ENTIRE GAME. I felt just like I was playing Dragon Age 2 (which sucked balls btw) when it came to making stupid forced and completely linear decisions that made no goddamn connection to ME as a person. It may as well have had no decisions if you won't let us forge our own path. What if some people didn't want to help the Queen or join the uptight and corrupted Meisters? And those big decisions at the beginning of the game... like busting a certain artifact to free a tortured soul? Yeah, meant nothing in the grand scheme of the game.

4) Agility... that's it. All you really need when it comes to stats. Why? Because that is the true source of DPS and DPS ends fights before the enemies can even mount an offensive. My point is that it is a "master stat" I played through HARDCORE and for every character I had with me all I did was pump AGI for crits and every damn fight ended before they really ever began and always in the same fashion 20+ criticals spread out across the screen.

5) No NEW GAME+.

Good points. Seem to line up very well with complaints from around the net. For a game that is so short and streamlined out so many features you would think there would be more story reactivity involved in the game and very unique class quests for each individual character. Something that would make eaxch short playthrough really different.

Good points. Seem to line up very well with complaints from around the net. For a game that is so short and streamlined out so many features you would think there would be more story reactivity involved in the game and very unique class quests for each individual character. Something that would make eaxch short playthrough really different.

re: the bolded part.

I actually thought that's what was going to happen, that each character played differently not due to just their style/builds, but in terms of certain quests only available to each individual.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)