Co op question

We're considering purchasing DS3.

Here's what we'd like to know.. it seems there's been some confusion about it.

We'll be playing locally co op.

Can I create a character and my wife create a character and play them co op together, so each character's stuff is saved out for each of us?

It sounds like you can add someone to a game, but they just gain loot drops, and cannot play their own character.

(In other words, is it like DS I and II, or did they mangle co op in the new game?)

is it like DS I and II? absolutely not.

from what I've seen in videos ya they share loot, but the drop/drop-out basically means it single player usually =/

one player hosts and controls camera and everything. another player can drop-in on that game and work with the host, but it's ultimately not their game.

is that wrong?

in other words, can a -saved- level 5 anjali join a level 1 lucas and then -save- before logging out??

or is it all based on the hosts data?

It's all based on host data.

Edit: This might sound a bit strange but does it really have to boil down to "I don't get any items" all the time? I might be a unique mutant but I enjoy playing the game for the sake of playing it and if you have someone who's willing to play through it with you; even better! It's basically the same thing as having it "saved" to you.

Edited by Chasted

It is NOT basically the same thing. Lack of persistent character save means everything is tied to the host save file. Yes people can enjoy the game together (if they can handle the whack co-op camera). However, if for any reason, you can't continue with your same group then you have to either make a new character of your own and ONLY host or you have to level up a character on someone elses save.

Lack of persistent save for your version of the character, tethered together smother session online camera, very slim feature list. These are major problems for the game and I personally wouldn't ignore them even if I loved the game.

It is NOT basically the same thing. Lack of persistent character save means everything is tied to the host save file. Yes people can enjoy the game together (if they can handle the whack co-op camera). However, if for any reason, you can't continue with your same group then you have to either make a new character of your own and ONLY host or you have to level up a character on someone elses save.

Lack of persistent save for your version of the character, tethered together smother session online camera, very slim feature list. These are major problems for the game and I personally wouldn't ignore them even if I loved the game.

Sounds like we'll pass, or wait for it to be discounted then. My wife gets attached to her game characters, and I don't blame her, when you look at the time you invest in playing a game.

If it can be done even in things like modnation racers, there's just no excuse for not doing it in a dungeon crawl.

What the hell were they thinking? Imagine a whole family at home, two parents and 2 kids who want to play together. You KNOW they kids will be attached to their characters. Maybe they'll add it in a later patch.

Sounds like we'll pass, or wait for it to be discounted then. My wife gets attached to her game characters, and I don't blame her, when you look at the time you invest in playing a game.

If it can be done even in things like modnation racers, there's just no excuse for not doing it in a dungeon crawl.

What the hell were they thinking? Imagine a whole family at home, two parents and 2 kids who want to play together. You KNOW they kids will be attached to their characters. Maybe they'll add it in a later patch.

It's fine if you're playing locally with just two players. When the second player joins, they have the options to level their character how they see fit. The problem is if you play that saved game on single player, then you may sell items or change abilities of the other player that they may not like. It is a bit weird that the second player can't load up their character, but Obsidian seem to see this as a unique feature that stops over-leveled characters ruining a beginner's game.

Dungeon Crawl? Where?

This is definitively not a dungeon crawl : action rpg with a strong story line.

This is in fact not a real followup of Dungeon Siege. (no boss respwaning, no random rare monsters, etc.)

The game has its flaws, but it's a nice game, well done, not repetitive. and you will not waste your time on it : 20-25 hours maximum if you're slow like me ;)

have a nice day, evening, whatever,

JPR

Dungeon Crawl? Where?

This is definitively not a dungeon crawl : action rpg with a strong story line.

This is in fact not a real followup of Dungeon Siege. (no boss respwaning, no random rare monsters, etc.)

The game has its flaws, but it's a nice game, well done, not repetitive. and you will not waste your time on it : 20-25 hours maximum if you're slow like me ;)

have a nice day, evening, whatever,

JPR

...But even ARPGs have persistent characters and Newgame+. =P

Not saying it's a bad game, but the design choices are a bit odd I feel... Dungeon Siege game or not.

Not saying it's a bad game, but the design choices are a bit odd I feel... Dungeon Siege game or not.

hmm,

I don't know any real arpg (don't talk about ME2 for example :shifty:) where a game+ is really usefull, even more a persistent character.

You can pretty max your level in one run in DS3, and the loot system is not very good (no set item, and so on)

But have you some examples? No trap here, I like rpg of all sort, and perhaps I missed some!

thanks

JPR

hmm,

I don't know any real arpg (don't talk about ME2 for example :shifty:) where a game+ is really usefull, even more a persistent character.

You can pretty max your level in one run in DS3, and the loot system is not very good (no set item, and so on)

But have you some examples? No trap here, I like rpg of all sort, and perhaps I missed some!

thanks

JPR

Well, for some examples of games of this style (couch co-op console ARPGs), there is Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, it's sequel, Champions of Norrath, it's sequel as well, and the new up and coming Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

All of these games feature Newgame+ (even though BG: DA 1&2 had a different Newgame+, but it was still fun), and they all feature fully persistent multiplayer characters (though with BG: DA 1&2, I can't remember if it had online multiplayer or not).

If you haven't played/know about these titles... I highly suggest you check them out (or in War of the North's case, check up on the game and see if it's your cup of tea... It's release is a matter of months away as far as I know). =) They are a bit old, however, and may feel dated (if you can't stand playing older games, heh).