The Blogs Thread

Monte Carlo

Hello. I thought it might be cool if we shared our favourite blogs here, just in case we're missing out. Please only post SFW links out of consideration for your fellow forumites.

Please don't restrict yourself to gaming, but hey my starter is a gaming blog I found by accident and it's superb... Grognardia. James Maliszewski maintains this lovingly crafted old-skool gaming blog, frequently updated, and shares his views on the hobby, it's history and the source material that influences it. An interesting read for any gamer (pen & paper or not) or anybody interested in sci-fi and / or fantasy. It's one of my weekly must-read blogs.

Am looking forward to other suggestions from you guys.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Without doubt or hesitation:

The old foodie blog

Every day or couple of days you get little anecdotes, quotes, and recipes for incredibly unhealthy or weird historical food. Plus you have to like someone who's written a book entirely about pies and their role in history.

EDIT: Quote to float your boat

In the year of 1744, France declared war on one old enemy (England), and made peace with another (Prussia), James Bradley, the English Astronomer Royal, discovered that earth periodically wobbles on its axis, Abigail Adams (wife of President John Adams) was born, and William Byrd of Westover (Virginia) died.

But what really important things were happening? What was going on in the kitchens around the country? Some pretty good things with vegetables, it seems.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The whole blog revolution of the early/mid 00's passed me by, proving once again that I will be a fuddy duddy stuck in the 90's until my death even though I was a blubbering kid for the most of it. But here are some;

Korea Vision is an excellent source of North Korea-related material from one of the big names in the field.

CRPG Addict has decided to play every single RPG ever made in chronological order, and has gotten through a fair few.

Sociological Images. A clear bent towards gender politics and feminism which can get knee-jerky sometimes, but if you look past that there is a huge wealth of very interesting examples and commentary on images around us.

Bent Objects.

bent-objects2.jpg

Both for content and name: If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats.

(The blog's name was the pre-release title of a Charles Mingus composition, the title of which was eventually-- and unfortunately-- shortened to "Gunslinging Bird." And anything quoting Mingus earns huge points with me.)

Edited by Enoch

Liked the story in Hyperbole and a Half; loved the Charlie Parker/style site. Where in hell did he get all that stuff? It's a goldmine!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.