Any professional/skilled editors looking to add to resume?

TheHarlequin

I have a book deal for a Salem guide book done from a local Witches point of view. It's not going to be huge 40 to 50 pages prob. I certainly need a trained eye to assist with grammar, flow, etc.. I really am not going to be making much $ on this deal honestly being my first book, however I will be happy to put you in the credits in the front and thus added fluff for your resume. However, If you do end up putting a lot of time in I have no issue working out some kind of compensation if it gets to that point.

Either case if interested let me know and we can share contact info :)

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'm just finishing off my first novel.

Guard Dog is a writer. So is Wals.

Why don't we create a virtual writer's critical evaluation / support thingie (technical term)? Mind you, my opus is weighing in at 125000 words so I probably need an editor more than you do.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm just finishing off my first novel.

Guard Dog is a writer. So is Wals.

Why don't we create a virtual writer's critical evaluation / support thingie (technical term)? Mind you, my opus is weighing in at 125000 words so I probably need an editor more than you do.

Being the most newbie writer of the list I am sure I could use a trained eye from you folks. Finding a editor seems a bit difficult for some odd reason even for a small project like mine. I thought there were tons of editors/English majors around looking to fluff up their resume or looking for side projects, however seems my assumption is in error. hehe

None the less I'd be up for it. Let me know :lol:

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'm in the process of rewriting/revising a book I've been working on for a few years. After hearing "No" a lot while trying get a publisher to even look at the full manuscript (never send them a full manuscipt, just a sample and an outline or you might see your book with someone elses name on it) I hired a real editor to work with me on it. If you have the money to do that I highly reccomend it. The lady I hired is a professor at Mississippi State and is freelance editor and writer with few published works and articles. Plus she has some connections to help sell the manuscript once it is finished. If it ever is. Editing a book is a lot of work, getting a friend/collegue to help is nice but my advice is to bite the bullet and hire a professional.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

BTW, your idea sounds very interesting. How complete is it?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I speed read, and as a consequence am extremely poor at spotting errors. I basically fix them preconsciously.

Besides, I already have a plate of free stuff I'm doing. o:)

My advice would be to do someone a favour and then call it in. It's a good economy if you find the right people.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thank you. The general goal is ~50 pages and my first draft is about 65% done. It's on the smallish side as its meant to be a guide book a tourist bring with them as they explore Salem. I am hoping to finish the last leg of the first draft within a weeks time. Why do you ask?

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Thank you. The general goal is ~50 pages and my first draft is about 65% done. It's on the smallish side as its meant to be a guide book a tourist bring with them as they explore Salem. I am hoping to finish the last leg of the first draft within a weeks time. Why do you ask?

Just curious. I would not go to an editor until you have a completed draft, however rough. One other thought, have you considered self publishing? A lot of 50 softcovers will only run you a few hundred dollars and you can try to pitch them to the local tourist shops, or ghost walk tours, ebay, etc. Publishing a book is not all that expensive, the copyright will cost around a hundred bucks if you do the paperwork yourself.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Just curious. I would not go to an editor until you have a completed draft, however rough. One other thought, have you considered self publishing? A lot of 50 softcovers will only run you a few hundred dollars and you can try to pitch them to the local tourist shops, or ghost walk tours, ebay, etc. Publishing a book is not all that expensive, the copyright will cost around a hundred bucks if you do the paperwork yourself.

Funny you mention that, I beat you to the punch and decided to go this route :shifty:

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone here happen to have any advice regarding finding and using an agent? I'm 50,000 words into a book/novella that will probably end up at around 80,000 in length and am curious about whether anyone here has any experience with agents.

I don't really think the book will ever get published as I don't believe it hits any major demographic/markets (too adult for kids, too childish for adults), but I'm curious about it anyway and think hearing some criticism from a person actually in the publishing industry would be good for me.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

does anyone here happen to have any advice regarding finding and using an agent? I'm 50,000 words into a book/novella that will probably end up at around 80,000 in length and am curious about whether anyone here has any experience with agents.

I don't really think the book will ever get published as I don't believe it hits any major demographic/markets (too adult for kids, too childish for adults), but I'm curious about it anyway and think hearing some criticism from a person actually in the publishing industry would be good for me.

My advice is to be polite and interested in everyone you meet. Seriously. I met a lady earlier this year who I talked to out of feeling sorry for her being stuck in a corner at a party. Turned out at the end of the conversation she gave me her card and she's this big film producer! Ditto numerous other occasions.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.