Political Compromise...

Raithe

I recently came across this blog by an author I enjoy (L.E.Modesitt, Jr) and it made me ponder on this...

I was curious what other forumites might consider on the art of political compromise in the 21st century..

Political, organizational, and corporate leaders are either outsiders or insiders. Insiders who rise to leadership positions almost always do so by mastering the existing structures and ways of doing things. In short, the best of them do what has always been done, hopefully better, while the worst cling to the most comfortable ways of the past, often rigidly enforcing certain rules and procedures, whether or not they

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think the piece identifies an important issue, but it's not impossible to generate change. It's just bloody difficult. I have a pressing engagement at some flaming barricade with a pint of beer or I'd wax at length, but in brief:

1. Organisations have become huge, and our open societies and corporate dissimulation have elad to a nuclear detonation of what can be called 'stakeholders'. People who are, or who feel affected by the proposal of change.

2. It is an axiom of mine that improvement will always have enemies, and that you have to be prepared to tell some people to get stuffed. But at teh same time, a lot of people simply fear confusion and uncertainty rather than change.

3. In addition it ispossible to have people whose logical standpoint would agree with you, but who don't see why they should.

4. Therefore communication _in its broadest sense_ is crucial to improvement. People must see what is being proposed in terms they understand and appreciate. Compromise follows not as a decision, but as a logical concomitant.

Just a thought. :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think the media is as much of a problem as cowardly incompetent leadership and an ignorant electorate.

I'd argue that the media controls the opinions of the electorate and thus indirectly the leadership who must court the electorate in order to remain in power.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Wait, if the media controls the electorate, wouldnt the leadership have to court the media to remain in power?

They do it to get to power, afterwards is a lot like managing a relationship.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wait, if the media controls the electorate, wouldnt the leadership have to court the media to remain in power?

Yes. Haven't noticed it yet? They must be doing it better over there...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Media doesn't control anything. All information is only a google away. If someone deliberately chooses to remain ignorant, the fault lies only with them.

I presume this is intentionally funny?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.